Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

alternatives to fish oil?

what are the best? my friend is thinking of buying some fish oil so i wanted to tell her some of the best alternitives. im not 100% sold on fish oils and i've heard they are all ransid anyways....

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

vega do an efa blend that is a vegan alternative to getting essential fatty acids, also loaded with antioxidents also.

its in this section below:

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=15

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

both chia and flax seeds are good sources of omega 3s. And they tast so much better than fish oil in a gelatin capsule. They are packed full of good nutrition.

I found this on chiaforhealth.com:

Chia seeds and oil naturally contain more than 60% Omega-3 fatty acid, this is the highest percentage of Omega-3 of any commercially available source. The body converts Omega-3 from chia into EPA and DHA. Chia has no odor, doesn

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Fruits and vegetables are good, healthy, fresh sources of fatty acids that our body can recognize. If you don't eat cooked foods, oils, you don't have to worry about your 3:6:9 ratios being out of whack and trying to compensate for it.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I use Salba Oil (like white chia seeds) and an EFA blend that includes different nut oils. I make sure I get plenty of olive, hemp, and other oils as well. MSM plus vitamin C has been a huge help for my arthritis/inflammation.

I've found I can't absorb flax, but feel a difference with salba and hemp. It's what convinced me to drop the fish oil.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

it's for my friend who is not raw nor vegan. im gonig to forward her the link to this discussion so she can read it herself and make a decicion.

thank you

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

id seriously doubt that you could get sufficient let alone therapeutic levels of essential fatty acids from fruits and vegetables alone unless you were eating alot of avocado.

good call on the chia seeds.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

DHA (not omega-3s) are the real reason fish oil supplements are popular. While some people's bodies can successfully convert omega-3 fatty acids to DHA, some people cannot. In addition to the Deva brand mentioned above, Nutru also has an algae-based DHA supplement. Here's one source, but there are others: http://veganstore.com/index.html?stocknumber=642