Simple/easy to digest suggestions...?

Hi everyone.. it’s been a little while since I was here posting anything (I’ve been staying off the computer per doctor’s requests not to be sitting in a chair to help with the edema I’ve been having) Yesterday I saw my Dr. and was told that since I’m now 32 weeks along that I should really start getting all my plans together because it’s possible to have the baby sooner than expected. (I have a cerclage and it’s due to be taken out at 36 weeks). We’ve decided on a home birth and while I was looking on the internet I keep seeing how beneficial it is for the laboring woman to eat and drink during labor.. but they always tell you to eat foods that are “light and easy to digest.. like boiled rice or peeled and boiled potatoes” > Yeah right < so I’m wondering if anyone knows of some easy to make and easy to digest recipes that I can start planning to have or make when the “Big Day” comes??? I’d love to hear some suggestions… Thanks a bunch!! K-Mom

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

All I can think of is green smoothies and green drinks. Maybe a light juice combo like cucumber and celery? Soothing is what I am thinking here!

Or fruit salad? Or come to think of it, blended apple with some cinnamon, and a blob of nut cream would be nice and easy.

My goodness imagine eating rice and potatoes when you are in labour!! They’d sit like a brick in your tummy!

• Ha ha ha… That’s exactly what I was thinking myself.. I’ll keep the cucumber juice in mind though… This will be my first “Real” birth (when my son was born/pass away he was so little I didn’t really feel anything) and my first home birth.. it’s a big adventure but I know the end will be worth it..

• Hi Kurdish Mom! I don’t know much about this topic but I saw a couple recipes that looked comforting in the cookbook I have called Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. These seem like they would taste good.

Apricot Flax teething biscuits:

Blend 1 cup dried apricots- soaked and 1 cup coconut water with 2 cups ground flax. Dehydrate till hard appx 6 hours.

La Creme de la Creme: 2 cups coconut pulp or 1 cup macadamia nuts blended with 2 cups coconut water, 2 fresh vanilla beans, pinch of salt. Once creamy eat!

Good luck with everything!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hi kmom, im not an expert but how about some frozen fruit pieces? i love frozen grapes myself…just a thought…;)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hi, Jinjee knows a lot on the subject because of her home births and being a 100% raw Mom. Her website is below and she does answer emails :) She has ebooks on her home births and other great info that could be super helpful in your exciting journey :)...

http://www.thegardendiet.com/

• Thanks for the info everyone.. Omshanti your a girl after my own heart.. (I just LOVE grapes) rawmama thanks for the site information.. my husband thinks I’m crazy for reading all these birth stories but it’s comforting and it gives me a nice idea of the differences and similiarities of births in general. As I count down the days I find myself on an emotional rollercoster ride, I know it’s natural to have doubts I just hope that when the time comes I’ll be ready.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You aren’t crazy, you are cautious and with good reason. If you want a link to a woman that was really into natural ways of handling things, Mango Mama is what you need to seek. Her books are very hard to find, but here is a website that has parts of her books. Sometimes the links work, sometimes they don’t, but it’s worth clicking on it and seeing if you can find some tidbit of great info to follow…she has links at the top of her page, again some of them work, some don’t, but it is really an interesting read and I liked her info on things to try if the labor is going long, if the baby is positioned abnormally, what to do for pain, foods to eat and avoid during labor and before, etc…and they are all natural suggestions. AND I wouldn’t recommend sending any money via paypal…I tried sending emails and they didn’t work when I tried them, so am leary of sending money unless there is valid contact info on the other end. Oh, and make sure you scroll down the entire page…it’s a long one with tons of website links that are terrific references for you. :) Relax and enjoy the ride, it’s an adventure that you’ll treasure always :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20011206211906/www.g…

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

kmom! i love the new pic!!!! You look so happy and your husband is very dapper! fantastic!I actually have been ot jinjees site( mentioned by rawmama) what a cool family…good luck to you and many blessings!

• Thanks Omshanti.. it’s last winter’s pic but I don’t think we’ve changed much since then (well except for the big tummy I have now..) I’m excited because Ramadan (our month of fasting) is less than 2 weeks away. I’ve been trying to eat more fresh fruits and veggies to get ready.. It is going to be nice because pomogranets are just about ripe and they are sooooo wonderful as a snack and in salads.. Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions! I promise pictures when they become available!!

• Hi Kmom! I just read your profile and I didn’t realize that things were so hard where you are living. Hard in the sense of not being able to use blenders and stuff. The “eggroll” recipe I recently submitted is high in folate which is good for babies. You don’t have to dehydrate it- that’s just for a more authentic taste.

I would guess banana and coconut milk would be good to drink around the time when you are in labor if you have access to those ingredients. I am a little concerned about you fasting at this point in your pregnancy. Has your Dr. said it was ok. It seems like you would need something to keep your blood sugar up.

If you can get some spinach I think that that is such a nutritious food to eat to get your nutrient stores up. Also, are you able to sprout things? That would be a great low tech way to get a lot of really fresh vegi nutrients without having to buy vegis. If you sprout lentils or barley, quinoa or amaranth it is a really good way to get fiber too. I stayed at home today and my boyfriend went to work on a job and called me because his truck was on fire. Luckily we had our cell phones charged and working and I was available to go pick him up onthe side of the highway. It reminded me of you for some reason. I hope you have all the stuff you need out there- even a cheap walkie talkie would be a nice precaution. I hope the best for you!

• Here is an amazing list of what my mom sent to me, but she doesn’t remember where she got it from.

Digestion Time Of Foods *

1 1/4 Hours parsley

1 1/2 Hours lemon Irish moss

1 3/4 Hours avocado grapes mango olive, ripe raspberry

2 Hours blueberry sweet cherry grapefruit orange raisin coconut milk artichoke beet greens garlic potato tomato brown rice

2 1/4 Hours fig, fresh pear, fresh pineapple strawberry asparagus carrot cauliflower lettuce: cos, loose leaf, iceberg

2 1/2 Hours blackberry date fig, dried gooseberry peach, fresh almond dandelion greens leek mushroom okra lima bean white rice basmati rice

Note: Foods beyond this time should not be eaten 3 hours prior to bedtime.

2 3/4 Hours apple, fresh apricot, fresh currant peach, dried plum watermelon chestnut coconut meat, fresh pecan pignolia beet summer squash wheat bran

3 Hours

lime prune, dried filbert nut walnut broccoli cabbage Swiss chard sweet corn endive (escarole) kohlrabi rhubarb spinach winter squash white bean lentil soybean wheat germ

3 1/4 Hours cranberry cantaloupe casaba melon honeydew melon olive oil pomegranate cashew nut coconut meat, dried celery cucumber onion sweet green pepper pumpkin radish rutabaga sweet potato turnip greens watercress snap bean peas, fresh peanut millet

3 1/2 Hours safflower oil sesame seed oil eggplant mustard greens peas, dried soybean oil rye

3 3/4 Hours persimmon quince red cabbage barley wheat

4 Hours Brussels sprouts horseradish turnip