Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nothing sweet to eat

suekosueko Raw Superstar

I am disappointed to find almost every new recipe here on GR has some sweetener in it, whether it be agave, honey, dates or simply fruit. I would really like to see some savory recipes. I'm afraid raw foodies are simply switching out our overconsumption of sweets from white sugar and the like to honey etc... Too much of any kind of sugar wreaks havoc with many of our systems. What do the diabetic raw foodies eat? How about those with PCOS, hypoglycemia and other blood sugar disorders? Surely there is a breakfast one can eat that doesn't involve 3 bananas and a blender??? Yeah, a salad for lunch, I get that...no dates or fruit in the dressing. But a little more variety...I am looking for raw food along these lines and am coming up very frustrated. Do you jump start your system with sugar every morning? Any ideas?

Comments

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

You could have those dehydrated crackers/breads for breakfast with nut pate/butter. I haven't a dehydrator and it will be a long time before I can afford one of those, but when I can get one I will sometimes have those for breakfast. You can buy the crackers- we have a raw food website here in Britain- they are

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

I like both sweet and savoury at different times, but sometimes I just crave savoury like mad. When I'm really wanting something savoury I generally have mock tuna. I prepare raw tuna more than any other savoury recipe, for me it's a staple. Same with raw guacamole.

Those are two savoury dishes that I couldn't survive without.

http://therawtarian.com/raw-tuna-salad-recipe/

http://therawtarian.com/raw-guacamole-recipe-simple/

As for breakfast, I do eat a sweet breakfast, I have to admit. But you can certainly make your smoothies more green. Or have anything else for breakfast. Go with what your cravings are telling you, no matter what time of day.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Uhm, humans need carbs to live. Best source is fruit, in my opinion. There are plenty of high sweet fruit eaters who eat fruit meals and don't have glucose spikes; they have checked. You can go to 30bananasaday.com to help overcome your misconceptions about fruit.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Well Durianrider proves the no glucose spikes. :)

But much as I like fruit I do want to eat equal amount of savouries such as vegetables and nuts- I have always had more of a savoury tooth than a sweet one.

• I've never made a raw dessert because I think they look far too sweet with the added agave, honey, dates, etc. (At the same time having a little too much fat for my liking.) Can someone post a "savory" low-fat, no added sugars, dessert recipe?

I realize I could just serve fruit or berries alone, which I do now, but sometimes a person wants to be a bit "fancy" with guests. :) I've been searching for ages and haven't found one yet.

• I can just eat grapes at breakfast , lunch and dinner, all day long and I wont get fed up. I love fruit

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I don't get tied up in recipes.

Fruit smoothies or just plain fruit is good enough for me.

I don't crave anything sweet after eating lots of fruit, and usually get a good boost of energy.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

At first, fruit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner just seems so sweet. Once you start eating enough, you get used to it quickly. You stop thinking of your meals as sweet and instead regard them as tasty and satisfying and exactly what you need to fuel up.

And if you're eating a high-fruit diet and still craving savory/salty foods, you likely just need to increase your consumption of sweet fruit during the day.

Swayze

• Fresh fruit won't bother your blood sugar, just dried fruit in large quantities. My mom is diabetic and she has never had a problem with fruit. As far as added sweteners, just leave them out.

• sueko, how are you doing? I realize this post is quite old, but I also have pcos and need to be watching my sugar intake. One thing that has been a staple for my lunches the past year is a fuji apple halved & cored w/ peanut or almond butter. I believe apples are fairly low in sugar.

• In some places cheese is considered a dessert. Why not get fancy and creative with seed cheeses? I make sunflower seed cheese and it's delicious. You just have to play with the recipes to get a creamy whipped sort of "cheese" and then top it over berry tartlets with a crust made from flax seeds, which are fatty but not calorically dense and are basically omega-3's, which your brain needs a small amount of to work properly.

• sueko,

If you are diabetic and are looking for something sweet to eat try getting Stevia. It is a NATURAL sweetener. It is diabetic safe and much better for you that sugar.

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

Suede Hills, I am not looking for something sweet to eat. If you (and so many others) had read my original post, I am looking for savoury ideas. I have been to Dr. Cousen's retreat center and have been instructed to eat NO FRUIT. This has worked very well for me, so all the advice to eat tons of fruit is lost on me. I was simply expressing my frustration that most recipes posted have some sort of sugar in them. If you don't have blood sugar issues then you don't understand and should not be advising people to eat fruit, whether or not your mom could. Walk a mile...

Thank you to those of you who did give me some good savoury breakfast ideas. They have been very helpful.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

It can be frustratng, but definitely go with what your body says. You are the only one that can keep you on the right path. Have you tried some of the recipes without adding the sweeteners (probably easier for some recipes than for others)?

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

Well, yeah, I have. I have also used stevia or xylitol when I want sweet, but I have found that without sugar (refined, honey, dates, fruit, etc.) in my diet I don't really have a desire for sweet foods. I love eating a purely savoury raw vegan diet.

ClaireT