hemp seeds

greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I have a question about hemp seeds- I'm going high raw next week ( the only cooked foods I'm going to have are hummus, pulses, potatoes, legumes and aubergines and whatever other veg is inedible without cooking- I steam my vegetables). I use extra virgin olive oil as a salad dressing and love it. I tried hemp oil but didn't like it at all, but I know hemp is important for the Omegas. Are the seeds full of the omegas and are they tasty in a salad? I plan to make a salad of grated carrot with mixed nuts/seeds and make a dressing of olive oil, lemon and paprika (which I love)and add some dried organic raisins (I can get them cheap in a discount store here)- I love that sweet and sour taste. the dressing I have been using for years in a green pepper salad (green peppers, spring onions and raisins). I thought I could put a handful of the hemp seeds in the salad. It would then be served on green leaves- spinach, watercress and rocket are faves of mine.

I'm going to see if I can find a nut butter to put inside hollowed out peppers also. I'm looking forward to going high raw- I have always loved salad and nuts.

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Actually, if you just ate whole foods without oils, you wouldn't mess up your omega 3 and 6 ratios; the ratios are perfect (and sometimes higher 3 than 6) for WHOLE FRESH PRODUCE.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

"Actually, if you just ate whole foods without oils, you wouldn't mess up your omega 3 and 6 ratios; the ratios are perfect (and sometimes higher 3 than 6) for WHOLE FRESH PRODUCE."

Oh that is interesting to know thanks! I would need some sort of dressing on salad though- I find it too dry to eat otherwise. I only use a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.

I'm thinking if I was only having this amount of olive oil on the salads, having some nuts and some mixed seeds my omegas should be fine- what do you think?

p.s I forgot to say that I only have a mechanical blender not an electric one, so it limits how fine I can blend things.

I would recommend putting fresh orange juice on your salad or getting fresh greens that aren't dry; or adding avocado, maybe some brazil nuts (just a few).

Thanks. I have to be careful with orange juice as I had GERD/gastritis/acid reflux in the past.I know avocados are good for you but I really don't like them. But re hemp seeds- do they taste ok and can one put them in a salad?

Also, evening primrose oil- what does that taste like? Could that be used in a dressing or smoothie? I only have a smoothie maker at the moment. I buy sweet almond oil to use as a moisturiser on my skin- it is great for that. What could that be used for in recipes?

I don't know, I don't eat oils or refined foods like that.

Hempseeds are a little bitter. Just try them out if you want.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi greenwood, I love hempseeds and add them to my salads sometimes.

I also blend them with filtered water to use as a base for my smoothies.

Good luck on your raw journey. :-)

Hello sv3. Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I'm very excited to be embarking on the raw food journey! Next Wed is the day I go fully high raw! My shopping list is made already. :)

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

The best way to eat hemp seeds to truly get all the wonderful health benefits they carry is eating them whole unhulled, the taste can be somewhat hard at first, but you get used to it and eventually they become delicious, after I eat hemp seeds I always feel very energized and rejuvenated, even on days I had very little to eat. you can add a little to salads and slowly get used to them but I actually just prefer to eat a few tablespoons just like that, much easier to properly chew them that way, they have a pretty hard husk, they are very crunchy, so it's important to properly chew them if you wanna digest them good.

Thanks.