Urinary Tract Infection

I have just been diagnosed with one of these

I am reluctant to take antibiotics as I have health issues as as result of taking these as a child

I am taking garlic (raw)

drinking lots of water

and have made a tea of parsley sweet basil and thyme

Cranberries are not available in the UK that I can find anyway

but I could buy a supplement

( commercial juices are pasturised and sweetened with sugar or artificial sweetener here)

any ideas?

Comments

• Any help appreciated

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

blueberries work in a similar manner to cranberries as regards to urinary tract infections.

Ura Ursi is a good herb for urinary tract infections.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Avoid those cranberry drinks mysterie- as you say they are full of sugar and artificial sweeteners. An organic or health shop should have pure cranberry- it is tart though so maybe put it in a smoothie or add honey, stevia or agave to it. I'm in Britain too- have you got any of those Asian food stores near you? They often sell dried cranberries- you could eat them or pop them in a smoothie.

I had a UTI 2 years ago and sympathise with you- my output was bright orange and hurt like hell when I went. I went to the doc and got a med called fluconazole - it cleared it in 2 days. I had no nasty side effects from it and usually I get the runs/upset tummy from antibiotics.I was supposed to take another one a week later but I didn't need to as I was clear and well again.

I will look up ura ursi, thanks powerlifer. I didn't want to take a chemical med but one has to really careful with UTIs as if they go up to the kidneys one is in for serious trouble ( especially if one is female as the bacteria travels quicker).

I hope you are well soon mysterie.

• Thank you both

• Thank you

I have bought some blueberries and some cranberry juice from the health food shop organic and no added sugar I will look up ura ursi

My doctor has sent my sample to the lab to check what infection i have so I was not offered antibiotics today so I have the weekend to try to clear it myself

I hope it clears for you mysterie- it is a horrible thing to have. x

By the way I don't know if you have cut out sugar but I highly reccommend it- it is nasty stuff and I found out I'm highly intolerant to it. I never bought or used any but it was in processed foods I used to have. I'm just using honey now if I need a sweetener (which isn't that often). I don't add salt to my food either.

p.s my herbal books says these herbs can help:

dandelion leaf and horsetail- flush out the urinary system.

echinacea and goldenseal help the body resist infection.

"The specific anti- infective remedies for the urinary system are celery seed and bearberry."

You should find all these in a health/organic/new agey type shop. They are more effective in tea form than pills though.

p.s did you know olive leaves are a natural antibiotic?

• Thank you Greenwood

I will look into these and I also want to search out oregano oil which i have heard is good

Unfortunately i have a condition which means i cannot tolerate sugar coffee tea alcohol yeast anything in fact that creates high histamine

I am trying to be raw on a low histamine diet .. High fruit is also out for me as I tolerate only a certain amount again because of the histamine overload

I thought I had food intolerances but actually I am low on the enzyme which breaks down histamine in the body

exacerbated if not caused by food poisoning and the taking of strong antibiotics

that is why i do not want to take more if possible

am seeing my immunologist on monday. it was he who recommended I follow a raw diet

• Make fennel tea. Bring about a tbsp of fennel seeds to a boil and then steep for about 5 min. Obviously not raw, but a uti sucks. Try to eat lots of water rich foods too. Feel better :(

• Thanks

I bought some organic fennel today

so I will try that too

"Thank you Greenwood

I will look into these and I also want to search out oregano oil which i have heard is good

Unfortunately i have a condition which means i cannot tolerate sugar coffee tea alcohol yeast anything in fact that creates high histamine

I am trying to be raw on a low histamine diet .. High fruit is also out for me as I tolerate only a certain amount again because of the histamine overload

I thought I had food intolerances but actually I am low on the enzyme which breaks down histamine in the body

exacerbated if not caused by food poisoning and the taking of strong antibiotics

that is why i do not want to take more if possible

am seeing my immunologist on monday. it was he who recommended I follow a raw diet"

I might have the same problem as you as I found out I'm intolerant to sugar coffee yeast and wheat. I have chronic eczema- one of the reasons I embarked on high raw (vegan). Wow your immunologist is good to look into diet. Here's some natural antihistimines:

nettle, echinacea, chamomile, Wild Oregano (Origanum vulgare)

• Looks a good list many thanks

Yes you could well have the same as me

I find it difficult to be totally raw because i cannot eat high fruit

I eat some fruit but not 80/10/10. I have about 4 pieces fruit a day and drink fruit juice. I like a balance of savoury foods to sweet. Nuts are good for me because of the fatty acids- eczema people need fatty acids.Obviosuly one does not eat bags and bags of them a day- a handful is enough!

• grapefruit seed extract!! if you can find the liquid form, itll work wonders. lots of water with lemon helps too. i used to get UTIs chronically, then yeast infections from the antibiotics i was given.. and after years of problems, ive really found the grapefruit seed extract works best. blueberries and cranberries also do help.. perhaps if youre in a pinch, you could find frozen cranberries and juice them yourself... although, in all honesty.. i have found for me the lemon water works just as well. just be sure to drink litres of it!

good luck!!!

The only problem with grapefruit seed extract is that is has nasty preservatives in it unless you can find the organic one. I believe goldenseal is a fantastic natural antibiotic but as the plant is endangered it is more expensive and harder to find.

• the stuff i have is not organic but only contains vegetable glycerine and the extract. i was able to get it at a local health food store.

• Thank you all

am really trying heard to sort it out

fingers crossed

x

• Thank you all

am really trying hard to sort it out

fingers crossed

x

watch goldenseal, berberine containing herbs kill your good bacteria very fast and should only be used for 7 days with a break.

I hope you are feeling better Mysterie? The thing with herbal antibiotics is that they take longer to work than the laboratory ones. If you get a lot of pain when passing water and it is bright orange I would advise asking for the tablet I had- it will clear it in one go- be careful not to let this get to your kidneys. I am all for herbal medicine but sometimes antibiotics have to be used in acute cases. I try not to take them as they give me a gippy tummy usually. I had a huge boil in my groin in the winter and was putting tea tree on it but it wasn't getting smaller. Relectantly I went to the doc and got the antibiotics but within the same night of taking it I started to feel sickly and knew I would be getting the runs not long after if I carried on taking them. I had a look in my herbal book and read about chickweed and myrrh- luckily I had chickweed cream and myrrh oil- they got rid of the boil!

• Thanks all

am seeing my immunologist tomorrow so will ask him about antibiotics etc

I am feeling a bit better drinking lots of water and eating raw

x

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better mysterie- sounds like your infection isn't as virulant as mine was- mine flared up in a matter of hours and was agony!

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

You know it's funny I was going to post something as I think I have this, so if anyone could advise me, I would love it..

The thing is I dont want to go the doctors as Im always in and out of there - or so it feels, as physically Im highly sensitive, first it was Marieneres, then IBS and now I'd feel bad going back as Im worried they will turn around and say 'The kindest thing to do for you now, is to have you put down' - thats how I feel about it, Im constantly got something wrong (Im not 100% raw, currently about 40% but slowly rising)

I suggested to my mother when I asked her about it, if I should go underwear free for a bit - I love going comando - but she said 'you cant do that, it's not lady like' and even though people wont know, it would be odd walking around town without underwear lol.

Anyway mine started last night and it's constantly burning - hope thats not too much info. And i really dont want to go back to the doctors. However since my raw food intake has been dramatically upped the last few days Im concidering it could be a detox side effect but Im not sure thats possible?

The amount of health issues - not to mention most recently being diagnosed at the dentist with extremely sensitive gums - Its no wonder Im more inclined to eat raw!

Sorry to hi-jack Mysteries thread, but any help for me either?

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

for me, nothing works as good as lemon water, and lot of it. I also LOVE D-Manoose...something like that. , but I can tolerate it vs the drink, as I cannot. I keep it handy as when my husband and I go to garage sales, there isn't always a restroom nearby and end of not drinking water like I should. I have learned to just ask people (That look clean and welcoming) to use their RR. God speed in your healing.

I forgot to mention d-mannose actually, its pretty good for UTI.

• I think d-mannose is extracted from cranberry?

I didnt actually have a urine infection .. unfortunately I have a high white cell count ( which was why I was diagnosed with a urine infection) . I am glad now I didnt get antibiotics before the lab test came back. I am now being tested to find why I have high white cell and eating 100% raw as an insurance policy until I find out what it is.

Thank you for all your help everyone

Raw Passion, there is a lot of good advice here

drinking a lot of water and getting tested to find out what is may be a good start

and do not worry about what the doctor thinks of you, you have a right to know

I was ill for many years before someone finally put it all together for me and discovered what all my symptoms meant