Beetroot- a super vegetable!

greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I've eaten a whole, organic (grated one) in my supper tonight. I just looked on wikepedia for the nutrient content and it is packed full of vitamins and minerals- it is very very nutritious! It makes a colourful and tasty addition to a salad. I love its sweet earthy taste.Check it out- I highly recommend it as an important addition to the raw vegan diet.

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Beetroot is great, i try to buy it as often as possible, very healthy also. I used to juice it often for my liver also.

I forgot i hadnt emailed you back greenwood will get onto that in morning, have been feeling really ill on this red desert clay detox im doing crazy stuff.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I just am on a British official bettroot webiste and it says:

"Reduces risk of osteoporosis

Beetroot contains the mineral silica, which helps the body to utilise calcium, so is therefore important for musculo-skeletal health and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.

Supports healthy liver function

Beetroot contains the bioactive agent betaine which stimulates the function of liver cells and protects the liver and bile ducts. When the liver is functioning properly, fats are broken down efficiently, aiding weight loss, and preventing fatigue and nausea. Recent studies also point to betaine as contributing to the prevention of coronary and cerebral artery diseases. Betaine is also important for cardiovascular health."

It's even more nutritious and beneficial than I thought! I do crave it a lot- explains why eh!

I only had one in the organic bag- I'll ask them to put loads in next time- they always seem to have lots of it in the shop. I've got its leaves in the kitchen though- will eat them tommorrow.

Sorry to hear about your tough detox powerlifer.Have you heard of bentonite clay? I ordered some of that on Wed to make a poultice for the eczema - it arrived yesterday only the postman didn't knock the door (bells broken) and put a card through- it's at the sorting office til Monday!

Here's more info on beetroot:

"Treats anaemia and fatigue

In the 16th century, it was given as a "blood builder" to people who were pale and run down. At the time, doctors and patients may not have known why it was so efficacious, but health experts now know that its high iron content can help to treat anaemia and fatigue."

"Getting in the mood - Beetroot contains betaine, a substance that relaxes the mind and is used in other forms to treat depression. It also contains trytophan which is also found in chocolate and contributes to a sense of well being"

"Head and shoulders - If you boil beetroots in water and then massage the water into your scalp each night, it works as an effective cure for dandruff. "

"Turning heads - Since the 16th century, beet juice has been used as a natural red dye. The Victorians used beetroot to dye their hair. "

"Beetroot, botanically-known as Beta vulgaris, evolved from wild seabeet, which is a native of coastlines from India to Britain and is the ancestor of all cultivated forms of beet. Sea beet was first domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean and Middle East

• I LOVE BEETROOT!! I make a BEET ROOT cake that is so awesome!! Similar to carrot cake but has a more earthy taste and the color is great fun for the Halloween holiday!

I call it Blood cake for the kids parties. Great with a vanillia bean icing or even a fudge cocoa icing!! I love to use kelp noodles on top to look like worms comming out of the ground(Fudge cocoa icing)!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Is that a raw cake?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

If you have a spiralizer beets make great "noodles." I love the gold ones for this purpose - I think they're milder.