Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

had to go back to cooked - can someone help?

13»

Comments

• @greenwood, yeah i got the coconuts from the chinese supermarket. they were nice, only one had slightly turned and the water didn't taste so good but i didn't eat the meat from that one.

i don't think it was fat/bile then as no tan/pale stools. must've been a bug of some kind

angela and matt monarch do a video on how to make kraut, that was the one i followed. it was soooo easy but yeah the only thing you need is time :)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

sadly i cant stomach sauerkraut it makes my stomach turn at the smell lol. But water kefir is a good alternative to repopulate the good flora.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Thanks for the link Ceidren- I don't fancy it after reading what it is- too salty for me. I use little salt.

"@greenwood, yeah i got the coconuts from the chinese supermarket. they were nice, only one had slightly turned and the water didn't taste so good but i didn't eat the meat from that one. i don't think it was fat/bile then as no tan/pale stools. must've been a bug of some kind"

Sounds like it was some kind of virus then- hope you are fully recovered?

• Yep I'm absolutely back on form thanks for asking.

I got an email yesterday from Kevin Gianni and he mentioned about digestion can become weaker over time with a raw food diet - food for thought...

• Yeah I was speaking with a lady tonight that said she's just getting over a gastric bug and I thought oh maybe that's what I had. Yeah the cooked food was definitely easier to digest. I think that even though there is information out there that raw food is easier to digest, I'm not sure this is the case for everyone. Some people find it easier to digest cooked foods because they are so broken down.

Wow 2 months is a long time - did you feel rotten that whole time? I'd be beside myself if I was still feeling ill...

• So if the digestion gets weaker ,what are you supposed to eat?

• Hi Tahiti,

I don't know if it is related at all, but last year, both my husband and I got an intestinal flu bug that started with nasty tasting burps, nausea and diarrhea and we both experienced about the same thing... 3-5 days of feeling flu-ish, then it was almost TWO MONTHS before we felt back to normal. I was thinking... is it possible that if something similar started your problem (a bug invasion), maybe cooked food was easier on your system because the fiber was already broken down and it didn't have to work as hard to digest it?

I've had the "flu" before, but this was the first time that it held on so long...

Glad to hear you are feeling better now.

• PonyGirlPonyGirl Raw Newbie

I have been 90% raw for about 6 years. Since last September my physical condition began to deteriorate. I was gaining weight, belching constantly, feeling depressed, had elevated blood pressure. My diet was good enough to cure my husband's Crohn's disease, but it wasn't working for me.

In desperation I consulted a shiatsu practitioner and a holistic nutritionist for a metabolic scan. Since 8/21 I have been eating for my metabolism and blood type and feel better than I have in many months. My weight & BP have gone down, the belching has abated, my outlook has brightened - all this in just a few days!

According to the various sources and charts, most of the foods I was consuming are not right for me. Seeds, nuts, nightshades, sprouts, coconut - stuff I love and used in some marvelous creations - not right for me.

It is sad to be advised to eat lots of animal products, but I simply do not want to live out the rest of my life feeling like crap. It had gotten so bad that I was thinking of starting to dig my grave as I have a spot picked out and we are permitted to be buried on our own land.

I would suggest metabolic evaluation and taking into consideration one's blood type if eating raw isn't making you feel good. Obviously, a nutritional path that is right for one person may be entirely wrong for another person.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Wow, Ponygirl. If I was eating mostly seeds, nuts, nightshades, sprouts, and coconut, I wouldn't feel well, either. I would try simplifying your diet to include fruit and leafy greens.

• Hi Ponygirl

Thanks so much for sharing. That's really interesting to hear your experience after six years of raw. I think it's very easy for people to say there is one way, but that doesn't tend to be the experience I hear about.

I'm so glad you've found something that works for you.

• tiab3tiab3 Raw Newbie
    Oh wow. I am so sorry I am 3 years late for this issue. The issue at hand I am all too aware of which is a big reason I think people turn from a raw diet. Before I begin, I am not 100% raw nor vegan but do believe in the benefits. The issue is a little bugger or parasite called Giardia Lamblia. Anytime you are having abdominal discomfort you have to remember parasites, there are millions of them and hundreds with names to them. GL, you can always spot because it's followed by rotten egg spell type burps, or sulphur burps and intestinal discomfort. GL is funny though. You could have either just caught it or you could have had it for a long time already and something you ate aggravated it. Coconut being a parasitic cleanser could have don't it. We all have many parasites in our gut. When going on a raw food life style that doesn't make you bulletproof from your previous diet or from future microorganic threats. Thus is why the most successful raw fooder cleanse and fast. Thus is important. 100% raw vegan is not enough. You may still have to do salt water cleanses, coffee enemas, water fasts, parasitic cleanses, this should be done at least 4 times a year. I have had Giardia Lamblia for 14 years. It is a hard suckered to get rid of. Many people have candida for years. As well as other parasites. So don't think it's the raw foods, cause it's not. It's just time for a cleanse. When you eat cooked foods you feed the parasite what it wants. Not saying cooked foods are bad but you are sharing it with your little house guests. Giardia Lamblia is very resilient and will go dormant in the body until provoked. Once a year I try to see if it's gone by eating Coconut flakes and it's still there. Sulphur burps and all. This is in fact why coconut water, milk, almost anything coconut makes my stomach hurt and makes me feel nauseous. Not because anything is wrong with coconut but it's the Giardia Lamblia that gives my body the discomfort. You also have the parasite Helicobacter Pylori that's another one that causes a lot of problems. So I hope this helps. Bottom line there is no parasite proof diet. Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse. If you've ever read the bible or the essenes doctrine. Some unclean spirits or demons can only come out through fasting alone. And when you fast you feel deathly ill. Not because fasting is bad but because of the effects it has on the critters in your body. They don't like it. So it makes you sick and then you quit. As I have done. But I concentrate on continuous cleansing of my blood, bowels and body. When I do this the long I can fast. Water fast that is. Hope this helps.
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

If I have a cold or flu, my digestion slows down and raw can end up feeling somewhat harsh. I drink lots of fluids and switch over to simple cooked foods (yams are a favorite) until the worst of it is over. I don't know if that is helpful, but it is what works for me.