Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Breakfast suggestions?

I start early in the morning at 6 in the morning, before I get to work I have a piece of fruit but by 9am (When I get breakfast) fruit doesnt cut it. Now I cant take smoothies because Id have to make them the night before and then it would go rancid (I cant have my blender running at 5 in the morning either)

The canteen at work is literally all meat and pastries - typical british breakfasts. So I wondered if anyones got any good breakfast recipes like granola cereals, or any ideas, it doesnt have to be cereal but something that will sustain me after 3 sometimes longer early morning manual work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Ive heard raw oats mentioned, i cant say its something ive ever looked into myself so i cant be of more help but its a suggestion.

• When I make my walnut mylk, I have pulp left over. I mix that pulp with a little vanilla, a pinch sea salt, honey, and dried shredded coconut; then I spread thinly on dehydrator trays to dehydrate into pieces of "toast." Dehydrate until hard, flip, then dehydrate until done. This is the toast.

Mix about 3 tablespoons of yogurt with honey to taste. Smooth over toast. Mash about a handful of blueberries, strawberries or whatever your favorite berry is. Then put over the yogurt on the toast. Fresh-picked blueberries on "toast" is my favorite. This is easy cause you can pre-mash the berries & pre-mix the yogurt+honey and just bring the toast with you.

That sounds nice dixiegirl i must try this at some point, there are so many variations.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I would suggest bringing more whole fruit (not in smoothie form).

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Don't you have a staff fridge to store the smoothies in raw passion? I know some work places have them, but others don't. the last place I worked in wouldn't let staff store their food in the canteen fridges and all their meals were stodgy fatty cooked foods.I was a cooked vegeterian then- goodness knows how I would manage there being a high raw vegan- I'd have to have brought it tons of fruit in a cooler bag with those gel packs in it.

What do you do for lunch?

In a gallery I've been volunteering at they have some stodge but also some ratatouille and salads and a staff fridge, so when I go back there I'll be fine.I was 100% cooked vegan then, but they did their best to provide me a vegan lunch on the training- I got a jacket potato and rataouille. I found them very supportive of veganism. I'm not going there at the mo cos of the eczema but plan to return shortly.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Coconut oil and dates can definitely make a fruit salad more sustaining for physical work.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

You could bring some chia seeds and throw them in a bottle of water when you get hungry. Not sure how appealing that sounds for breakfast, but it is sustaining. Possibly some dehydrated fruit to go with it.

Personally I'm used to just not eating at work, but I know this won't work for most people.

• why don't you try eating more 'pieces of fruit' when you first wake up? or start off with a juice, then when you get to work chow down on a lot of fruit to hold you over until lunch, then do a big salad filled with greens, veggies, fruit, and seeds. I always have raw desserts in my freezer that usually have a nut base, so I take plenty to eat in between meals as a snack. I usually go to work with a grocery bag full of food options to sustain me during my 8-5 shift. Also having dried fruit on hand such as raisins, goji berries, and mulberries are good alternatives that would sustain you.

• eat 5 or 10 bananas:)

• bananas are so filling , 3 already makes me feel sluggishly full, expecially if they are fully ripe:)

• I had the same problem last winter! Here are some my solutions.

Smoothies made the night before. Just make sure that you store it in a glass jar/bottle and fill it to the very top before you screw on the lid. That way it won't oxidize or go off.

Sliced bananas, drizzled with tahini, and sprinkled with coconut flakes. You can also sprinkle on cinnamon or cardemon.

Nuts, seeds, dried fruit and fresh fruit mixed in "live" sour yogurt. (I don't know what this kind of yogurt is called in English, but it has living bacteria in it. I think I remember reading "kefir" somwhere, which might be what it's called???)

Tonight I'm going to make Strawberry Soup for the first time for our dessert. I have a feeling that it could be a breakfast in the making...

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

The problem with just eating fruit is I like something to crunch and chew on, habit of a lifetime, I spent god knows how many years hvaing cereal for breakfast lol, so old habits die hard.

I can have smoothies but they make me need to pee and I cant get to the loo once Im back at work, it's not that they wont let me, its just a bit hard to explain.

Also Im at home for lunch, I finish then so I dont have to owryr for eating.

I guess what Im saying is fruit doesnt satisfy me because I eat with my eyes and ears, so I like to see something big and hear crunch, I liek chomping and chewing - does that makes sense, I guess Im greedy. p.s tried the whole apple thing, I know it crunches but it doesnt help.

• What about dehydrated buckwheat cereal? Nuts?

I think a raw pie is the best bet. You could make one of the raw pies on here or Jonsi and Alex's strawberry pie- nice and filling (see link on this site)- it keeps for about 3 days in the fridge- so you could make a pie every 3 days for breakfast. With the nut base that will be something to chew on! You could have the pie bfore you leave, or eat some bananas at home and take some pie in a cooler bag to work.

• I was going to suggest a pie also, because you really need your fruit to be sustained on raw. Mix it with nuts, there's your crunch!

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Ooh I like that idea, raw pie! Fruit but with a crunch! And I like the fact I dont have to make it daily. Cheers :)

If anyone has any raw pie recipes id be keen to see them, its not a part of raw ive delved into yet.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Ok, I know you said you like crunch but you've GOT to try buckwheat porridge as it's a winner! http://goneraw.com/recipe/buckwheat-porridge

You can make it the night before, keep it in the fridge til morning then mix in some blueberries and chopped apples (or anything else you fancy!). It's filling and comforting too.

I had it this morning with raspberries and apple....so tasty.

Another good idea is a chia pudding you can make the night before. My fav is a creamy choc version where I blend up a few hazelnuts, dates, hemp seeds, vanilla and carob powder with about 3/4 cup water, then once totally blended I stir in a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds. If you make this the night before, it will have soaked really nicely and should help keep you full too.

Hope this helps. :-)

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

sweet... that many bananas in one day is overload. too much sugar can lead to adrenal failure. bananas are one of the highest sugar fruits there is. I used to eat A LOT of them, but have recently learned that you should watch the amount of fruit you eat because of the sugar content. It makes sense! Moderation is key, even with raw foods.

As for breakfast foods, I usually have a smoothie and a raw bar made from nuts and dates. Sometimes store bought, sometimes homemade. Another option would be a mix of coarsely ground soaked and ground nuts with sprouted buckwheat and almond milk. drizzle a little bit of agave too for sweetener, but moderation is key with that too ;)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

What about some celery sticks with your fruit? That's certainly crunchy. :)

Swayze

• Here's another thing I eat all the time:

Soak about 1-2 tablespoons of buckwheat groats in water for an hour or so. Drain, rinse, drain. Mix a little vanilla, some cinnamon, and a couple tablespoons of honey together with groats. Chop half an apple into almond-size pieces and mix together, adding a little water. Add some chopped walnuts or pecans. You have apple cobbler! Can also be made without cinnamon and use blueberries instead of apple.

Starting the day off with the great combination of honey and cinnamon is the way to go!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

You can eat as many bananas as you want at a time as long as you don't have a high-fat diet.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I have the same problem. Here is what I take:

1.Chocolate chia pudding (keeps in the fridge for 3 days). Made with chia, hemp milk, raw chocolate and agave.

2.Fruit salad, heavy on the bananas, almonds, dates and cacao nibs. (Crunch!)

3.Chocolate buckwheat crispies made in the dehydrator. If you have a dehydator, let me know and I'll post how to put it together.

4.Spoon of miso paste with veggies added into a tupperware container. Hot water added when I get to the office. Sometimes take fruit salad as well with this option.

5.Raw bars (Nakd, Lara). Sometimes homemade.

• Hello Raw Passion,

I usually mix carrot juice with its pulp and put it on the top of the 2 mashed bananas.

Also, add couple dates or raisins for the taste.

If you are high raw like me rye crackers are good- we have a brand called ryvita here that are wholesome- I love the pumpkin seed ones with organic peanut butter on for breakfasts.

• auntie_booauntie_boo Raw Newbie

I like the celery idea. I need protein in the AM. I like some eggplant bacon with rye crackers and something soft.....hmmm cant say exactly now. Ok, yes, yes avacado! mmm. Transitions away from that eggie thing we used to do (sshhh, gotta testify!). more to co me...

gabrielaw
  • Fruit in breakfast is good for immune system & digestion. Dehydrated Strawberries are delicious and healthy. The Dried Strawberry used in Dehydrated Strawberry Candy and Dehydrated Strawberry Cakes. Order Now! You can visit here : https://www.afrodillesuperfoods.com/

• gabrielawgabrielaw Raw Newbie

I like the celery idea. I need protein in the AM. I like some eggplant bacon with rye crackers and something soft.....hmmm cant say exactly now. Ok, yes, yes avacado! mmm. Transitions away from that eggie thing we used to do (sshhh, gotta testify!). more to co me...

I'm all about that AM protein too. 

I chop up some fresh veggies - cucumbers, bell peppers, you name it. I mix in some sprouted lentils for that protein punch and throw in a handful of nuts for good measure. Top it all off with a tangy lemon-tahini dressing, and I'm ready to take on the day! cool

When I'm running low on time, though, I reach for those Fairlife Protein Shakes at Costco. Super convenient and lactose-free, and they've got a solid 30g of protein. The shakes help me keep up with my protein goals, even when life gets in the way of my raw food prep. laughing

ClaireT
  • i make banana shake and mix some dried fruits in it .it makes me feeling energetic whole the day

ClaireT