Help!hypo,candida and weight issues, OH MY!

Hi guys, Just a quick note to say that I have been 80% raw for a good month and a half now, some days 100%, others I have a light cooked vegan dinner. I have been about 14-20 pounds over my ideal weight for about 5 years now. Ive been vegan for 5. I used to be anorexic but have learned that it doesnt mess with your metabolism the way I thought it did… so Im not sure why I still have weight issues (the worst being a terrible double chin – apart from my stomach its the bane of my life!) I have looked into hypo and candida and it sounds like I may have both… Im waiting for bloods to come back about the hypo and am taking herbal medicine and prebiotics to control the candida… if I have an overgrowth, which Im not sure of… Anyway, just wondering if anyone had weight issues after going raw. Sounds like people here have trouble keeping weight ON! Thanks! Love and light.

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

hey queera (i love your screen name by the way :)) i have quite a bit more weight to lose than you, but i too have had a very hard time losing it. and believe me i know about the double chin thing, hehe. going raw is the only thing that seems to have jump started my metabolism. its been a little over 6 weeks for me, and i’ve lost close to 10 lbs, a pant size. i’m happy to report that i had hypothyroidism, but that has resolved itself since going raw. your thyroid has alot to do with the way you metabolize food. typically, but not always, a problem with candida is a problem with sugar, so watch your fruit/sweetener intake. also i have an extreme sensitivity to wheat, and since i have gone gluten free, i believe that this has helped me to begin dropping pounds. it hasn’t been easy though, i definately feel your pain. try getting closer to 100% raw, when you are ready. good luck!

• Thanks stylistchicK! Well my bloods came back normal for thyroid, but very low in iron! so Im anaemic….yikes. Explains lack of energy. I might try going gluten free for a while, although I think I pretty much have a gluten free diet anyway! Am pursuing the 100% raw goal. Last night I ate a vegan spag bol (first cooked mean in a few days) and was bent over in pain. Fell straight asleep at 7.30pm and woke up at 7 this morning. Yuck!

• Hi querra! Have you tried eating beets and spinach for iron? Also orange juice can help iron absorption. I hope this helps!

• Hi Queera, I also have candida issues and after starting to move over to a raw diet saw the candida flare up again…I had been eating sooo much fruit that the sugar was just feeding the yeast, yuck! I have since reduced the amount of fruit I eat and increased the veggies and I feel almost normal again.

One word about orange juice, I find it’s very sugary (even just the fresh squeezed from a juicer) and that was actually one of the worst culprits for my candida in the first place! I also have multiple allergies so they may have had something to do with it too but who knows….good luck, it’s tricky to balance your body when you make a change to your diet so you just need to find what works for you!

• Hi there. I was born with intestinal candida and have managed to keep in check for most of my life. I used to be on medicine but went off it when I was 10 after my family made major changes to our diet (no dairy, sugar, meat, etc.). I have found that whenever I go 100% raw my candida acts up again. I think it’s because I feel so HUNGRY all the time and end up eating sweet treats in an attempt to satisfy myself. I’ve done what everyone recommends, eating more greens and veggies and all that but end up miserable and hungry. Gabriel Cousens and David Wolfe both have extensive advice on candida and suggest a complete ‘sugar-free’ diet for a period of time. This means avoiding anything that has a sweet factor, including carrots, beets, all fruits, all sweetners, grains (even raw sprouted grains), and the list goes on and on. It’s a nightmare – I end up feeling so deprived and then binge on sweets, sweets, sweets (which only makes the candida worse).

I find getting a very good probiotic helps tremendously. There’s this kind I swear by…when my candida gets so unbearable I go out and I feel better immediatly. It’s quite expensive but it helps within a few days. The brand is Natren and it’s called “Trenev Trio” with 3 potent strands of bacteria. Their website is www.natren.com. It comes in a vegan powder or capsules. Believe me, it’s potent stuff.

Hope this helps :-)

• Thank you so mcuh for your help everyone! Im on Super 8 prebiotic right now, but weight gain and sluggishness are still issues. Ill try Treenev Trio. A suger free diet would destroy me! I love fruit, wine and sweet veggies.

• Hi Queera, Make sure your care provider checks your T3 and T4 levels, not just your TSH. I had my TSH tested two years ago and was told I was normal, but recently got the other tests done for T3 and T4 and found out that I had hypothyroidism. Be well:)

• I just did a spit test and took a couple of surveys to see if i had candida and apparently i do. The veggie only approach will have to work for me cause im allergic to just about every fruit now. I was wondering im on birth control now (Yaz) and i take a multivitamin every day. Should i have anything to worry about or will it be ok to continue to take these daily? Please if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated!

• Candida overgrowth is tough to beat with food restrictions alone, even with probiotics added. I did a grapefruit seed extract blend called Triguard for a while and that helped a lot. I finally got it down to normal levels with an ionic silver preparation called Silver 240. I still ate a small amount of sweet fruits but had to give up Vinegar. That was hard! Stevia helped with cravings.

Good luck, as kicking Candida overgrowth will have a MAJOR positive impact on your overall health!!!

• Thanks jenoz for the input!