Raw Spinach - More harm than good?

Recently I read that Spinach is considered to be in the family of goitrogenic foods and I've been wondering about about thyroid issues. I like to use tons of spinach in my green smoothies - should I discontinue? Also, I read that raw spinach inhibits calcium absorption.... ugh, I really hate to cut out another food! Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

It depends how much is tons beaglelove- I don't know the weight of how much to eat and how much is too much, but my advice is a balanced diet, a variety of foods every day.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

It is always a good idea to rotate the greens you use in green smoothies--you would surely be fine if you cut back the spinach to maybe two days a week. All plants have potential negative substances in them, so it's best not to eat too much of anything, in my opinion.

• Thanks - Yeah I'm thinking I will do that. Kale is a goitrogen too. Any ideas for nice greens for smoothies other than spinach or kale? I guess I could do some lettuces?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I answered this in the other thread for you beaglelove. Lettuces are nice the darker the green the better they are for you.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

I've used fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, arugula, watercress, carrot tops, dandelion, purslaine (good foraged), oregano leaves and sunflower sprouts with good results. Whatever you can get for variety should be good.