Dog with heart worms

I have a dog who is 10 years old. He has advanced heart worms and is coughing a lot & breathes heavily. I can't afford the treatment, plus I am worried he may not survive it. I have been reading about natural ways to treat it. Anyone know anything about black walnut, wormwood, cloves and garlic for treating this in dogs. Any experience? I really want to have him around for at least another 3 to 4 years and am trying to find anything.

Comments

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Poor dog. I wish I could advise you- but I have never had a companion dog live with me- I'm allergic to their fur. Wouldn't your family or some friends club together to lend you the money for the vet's?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Diatomaceous earth is an extremely effective anti-parasitic (I'd say even more so than the herbs you mention). Just be sure that neither you nor your dog breathe in the powder.

Here's a page with info: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heartworm.html

And I've bought diatomaceous earth here: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

• The treatment is not only expensive but very risky...I have been told that they use arsenic to treat it and the dogs have to be confined for close to 3 months. If it is in the advanced stages they sometimes won't risk the side effects of the posion they use. I don't know what to do. Thank you for your suggestion!

• "Diatomaceous earth is an extremely effective anti-parasitic (I'd say even more so than the herbs you mention). Just be sure that neither you nor your dog breathe in the powder."

My family also uses DE for worming our animals. (dog and cats) We buy some ground beef at the grocery store and mix in a certain amount of DE. Then they eat a patty once a day for like 7 days or so until the parasites are gone.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Diatomaceous earth is great as an anti-parasitic aswell as a silica supplement but im not sure if it will work for heart worms, i havent seen any information to suggest it will.

• what happens if you breathe in the powder? thanks for bringing this to my attention, I have never heard of it before!

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

heres an exerpt from another site:

Food Grade DE often gets confused with filter grade DE. Filter grade DE starts out as food grade, but it is heated to about 1000 degrees and chemicals are added to crystallize it. This works great for filtering but is dangerous to people and animals. Breathing the crystallized product in over long periods of time causes a disease called silicoses. The world health org. has said that DE needs to be less than 2% crystalline silica in order to be considered safe. The filter grade DE is 60% crystalline!! -- Stay away from it --- it is dangerous!! Perma-Guards food grade DE on the other hand is less than .50% crystalline silica. As you can see, that is more than 4 times less than it needs to be to be considered safe! Daily use of Food Grade DE for people, pets and around the garden is perfectly safe. Food Grade DE should be treated like any other dusty product, if you are going to breath it in over long periods of time, wear a dust mask ---- but it should in no way be compared to the dangerous crystallized filter grade.

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Wheatgrass. Its easy to grow, cheap, and it helps dogs just as much as it helps humans. My dog had 2 serious infections- lyme's disease and worms. I switched him to a raw diet and he consumes wheat grass daily. Its been over a year and he's doing great.

• I doubt DE will do anything. Heartworms are inside the dog's heart and merely having him consume something by mouth will not likely affect something in his heart. I used to be a vet tech and I can tell you that if he is already having breathing problems then his condition is very advanced. He may not survive the treatment at this stage, sorry to say. Just don't let him succumb naturally to the disease, that would be a terrible way to suffer. What is the update on the dog?