substitutes for allergies

Hi,

I have a ton of food allergies. I'm allergic to some of the most used nuts for raw food: Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews. I have Celiac Disease, so no gluten. I'm allergic to other grains like Quinoa, corn, and oats. Allergic to soy, avacado, and yeast. The hardest one: I'm allergic to sesame seeds.... which is in just about every recipe I read!

So....

What is a good substitute for SESAME seed... be it tahini or just the seeds? I've thought about using pumpkin seeds... not sure how that would sub. tho.

What is a good substitute for almonds or walnuts? I've used pecans or peanuts. But wondering if there is another nut out there I don't know about....

Any subsitutes for avacado?

Or substitutes for soy based things (like sauces or Braggs?)?

I feel better eating raw.... but it is definitely hard to navigate around all of my allergies. Hope others have had similar situations and can offer some good subsitutes!

Thanks a bunch!

purpleyogamat

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I will give you some subsitutes later, allergies are a result of adrenal gland dysfunction not ouputting enough anti-histamine epinephrine and corticosteroids.

To build up the adrenal glands vitamin C from natural sources is the best idea as its the main nutrient that the adrenals need. Vitamin B5 is the next most need nutrient good sources are bee pollen(if not vegan), rice bran, nettle leaf, nutritional yeast and seaweeds.

Adaptogenic herbs are also great at restoring adrenal function and pretty much anything else wrong with the body as they help the body increase its resistance to stress whether mental or physical complaint. Good choices are schizandra berry, jiaogulan, ashwagandha, licorice root, maca root and suma root.

• I have an endocrine disorder.... so yes, I do know :) Trying to treat this and get things on track.... but thanks!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Hello fellow celiac/allergy/health issue person :) I have tons of allergies/intolerances- fortunately not to nuts, but tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, apples, etc. etc...

Cashews - macadamia (you probably already got that one)

Walnuts - Pecans, Pine Nuts with Macadamia, Brazil nuts with another type to temper it out

Almonds - hmm...probably what I've already listed above mixed with a little cherry and perhaps agave/stevia for flavor. To me, almonds have a faint cherry taste and are very sweet.

Soy is easier for me to suggest alternatives to. I use dulse seaweed re-hyrdated and blended in some water with a tiny bit of ginger. It gets that nice salty taste, but is milder than soy. I don't really miss soy to be honest.

Pumpkin seeds probably would be a good start for Sesame. It has such a distinctive taste though - you'll end up with a much milder taste using pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Avocado - you could probably get away with using young coconut meat depending on what kind of recipe you are subbing in. Chia seeds can help give a thickness while coconut combined with banana perhaps could help with a creamy texture. If it's soups, I sub in some soaked macadamia nuts as the avocado doesn't lend much flavor.

I'd probably be more help if I knew the recipes. It's a bit of a hobby of mine. My family likes baked goods but has tons of allergies, so I spend my weekends blogging and creating allergen free baked goods for fun. I don't eat them of course, but it's still fun :) I also have to do a little creative alterations for my raw vegan recipes.

Take care,

Cami