Really strange...can be possible?

Hello!

I became rawfoodist one year ago, I ate 2 pieces of fruit 4breakfast, huge salad for lunch and dinner and another fruit 4 snack. Thats all. I lost 10 kilograms.

I was so happy 'cos I love vegs I was never hungry and I was getting thinner day by day.

3 months ago I started to eat more fruits and less vegs ( for example, just fruits for lunch or dinner instead of a huge salad) and I've put on weight, 7 kilograms!! Maybe was the cherries ( I ate 1 kilogram easily...), or too much melon or ...I dont know!!

I'm sad cos I read everywhere people who eats tons of fruits daily and they dont have weight problems.

How can it be possible?

Now Im changing my diet again and Im going back to the salads instead of fruits, but my weight is the same! ( when I started the raw food diet I lost weight since the 1st week, now I dont). Im scared because now my weight is like the weight I had before being raw, and the rawfood doesnt make me loose weight as quick as before.

Does Anybody know the reason?

Im thinking about eating less, I mean, small portions, less avocado, less juice, less less less but I dont think is safe :(

Thanks!!!

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Your thyroid may have slowed down, do you have any other symptoms of low thyroid? Do you have an iodine source its often a missed nutrient on raw vegan diets.

If all the above is ok then, have you tried an online calorie counter to track your daily caloric intake. More calories in vs expended will = weight gain.

I have my suspicions that it may be down to another issue such as the thyroid though as it doesnt sound like your over-eating.

Take care

• Annamaste - I was thinking the same thing (Hi Powerlifer!) . I believe that the same thing started happening to me so I started taking a taking a kelp-based high dose iodine/L-tyrosine supplement for the next few weeks then I plan to maintain with seaweeds. I thought perhaps it was due to too much sugar in the form of fruit but I had other symptoms like fatique and dry skin, cold hands/feet etc....

• Hello!

Thanks 4 the answers :)

Thyroid problem was my first suspect so I took a blood test and everything was ok, T4, T3...so, I dont know what is happening to me....

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

Any change in exercise regimen? Maybe gained some muscle after first losing weight?

On healthy diets I'd actually recommend more calories(for more energy/more exercise) as a more effective(and safer) method of losing weight, but I'm no expert and that depends on a few factors and may or may not be an option for some people.

Thyroid tests are often inaccurate, the best way to gauge if you have low thyroid is to take your basal body temperature first thing in the morning.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

i'm curious, powerlifer, what percentage of people do you think have thyroid problems?

• I think I read that it is estimated at 50-70% of the adult population...crazy...

Ive not read the recent estimations but from what ive read before would be on par with what beaglelove says.

For the most part the general population on SAD diets are ok, as they eat foods which have decent iodine content such as dairy products and eggs. The problem is that when you go vegan there isnt a decent source of iodine unless your including seaweeds(best source). Fruits and vegetables may have iodine but it really depends how there grown and most soil is depleted of nutrients.

The most common thyroid issue is hypothyroidism, which alot of the time is down to lack of iodine, tyrosine and/or selenium. But doctors tend to just stick you on thyroid hormone rather than investigate why it is happening. Adrenal issues can also cause low thyroid.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

interesting, those are high numbers. i've only known one person in my life with hyper (not hypo) thyroidism and she wasn't a vegan. none of the vegans i know have that issue. just curious. :) thanks.