Garlic/Onion & Spices

powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

This topic came up in another thread on a different raw forum and i couldn't see any reason why some raw fooders avoid the above or regard them as unhealthy.

I just cant see any logical reason why garlic, onions and spices should be avoided, they are a decent source of nutrition, garlic in particular is well studied for its wide range of health benefits from anti-biotic properties to circulatory benefits. Spices contain a range of well documented alkaloids also which for example turmeric is well known for its anti-tumor/anti-cancer properties. There all included in the worlds healthiest foods.

Look forward to the responses.

Cheers

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't like them, they make secretions and poop and breath stink. Of course if you haven't avoided them before and gone back, you may not realize the above; or your body could be different. It's a personal choice, and it doesn't affect anyone else, really (except maybe those around you ;))

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I agree with superfood. A good test is to eat the food on its own and see how you feel. Not only is eating foods like garlic, onions, and hot peppers disgusting, but it makes me sweat (stinky sweat), and release lots of mucus. This suggests to me that these are toxic ingredients that my body is trying to eliminate.

That said, there are certainly worse things than garlic and spices. I don't think using them sparingly as flavor enhancers in savory raw dishes (e.g. salads, soups etc.) would effect someone's health much at all, even if it's a daily occurrence.

Swayze

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

There is no doubt they make your breathe stink which is what puts me off garli abit unless im not in company. But ive never had it or onion make my sweat stink. At one point as a test for my intestinal issues and poor circulation i was consuming around 4 cloves a day for months with nothing but great effects especially on circulation.

Saying that some have issues with garlic irritating there digestive tract so if they do it should be avoided. There are many spices that dont smell that are full of great health benefits.

I guess you don't perceive the smells, Powerlifer, but I definitely can smell body odor of onion eaters more than others.

I guess you don't perceive the smells, Powerlifer, but I definitely can smell body odor of onion eaters more than others.

(and, for what it's worth, foot odor and vaginal odor)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I have a pretty good sense of smell actually, its horrible on breath but minus those who indulge in curry daily ive never smelt it from anyone who would include a few garlic cloves in recipes etc.

Its not like im so used to it either as i havent touched any garlic in months at times.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Actually the more reguarly one eats garlic the less the effect of the smell. I eat it every day pretty much ( not in huge amounts) and I don't smell of it at all- I know this is true as my mother hates garlic and I have often asked her if she can smell it on my breath or my person and she cannot- she is very honest and would tell me if it was so. None of my friends can smell it on me either. I also know a bloke who eats loads of it and he doesn't smell of it either. Of course, one can always eat pasrley after!

I totally agree with you on garlic and spices powerlifer- they have many health properties.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I don't eat onion or garlic often at all, but when I do, I find that sometimes I can smell it on my breath, in my urine, and coming out of my pores for days afterward, whereas other times I don't notice this at all. I'm sure there's some body chemistry involved that we don't understand yet that makes some people exude more garlic or onion than others.

That said, there are some religions (e.g. Jainism) that state that onion or garlic are not suitable for consumption due to the energies they bring out in the body and psyche (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_foods for one example). And natural hygiene followers avoid anything that tastes too strong.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Raw onions have absolutly no effect on me, I wouldnt eat garlic raw but it doesnt bother me..that said I've always been intolerant to garlic, if someone ate it and later on I kissed them (wihtout having it myself) I wouldnt even taste it, I cant smell it on others either. I sometimes smell it in my underarm sweat but thats if i've eaten loads and just exercised after.