on 80/10/10 why does douglas graham not reccomend honey and mushrooms?

i just finished reading the book and i saw he mentioned that honey is bad but i dont think he explains why? i mean, i have raw honey in my kitchen and i use it very sparingly. i dont see why he doesn't reccomend it.

also, mushrooms. whats wrong with mushrooms?

Comments

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

For most people honey is off the list because it's not vegan. I think there are some other supporting factors why it's supposed to not be healthy, but I don't have a problem with it in limited quantities.

As for mushrooms, I couldn't tell you. I've never been a fan of fungus, so I don't pay much attention to why I should or shouldn't eat it.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Honey is sugar w/o fiber.

Mushrooms are fungus.

If you want to eat them, eat them. If not, don't.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

mushrooms are healthy but im not sure id like to eat them raw, i know there are some who do though. Just because there a form of fungus doesn't mean there bad for you there are many mushrooms with great health properties that have been studied such as reishi, shiitake, chaga etc.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Honey is a refined product, just like agave syrup, and is not a health food. It's much better to use whole, fresh ingredients such as dates, apples, etc. to sweeten dishes.

As far as mushrooms, I believe Dr. D has said that they are perfectly fine as long as they do not replace calories obtained from sweet fruit. In other words, eat them sparingly, like with your dinner salad meal.

Swayze

• Hmmm, I don't think honey is a refined product. I have myself helped a friend spinning honeycombs. They went into the centrifuge as they came from the hive and out came what we filled in bottles and ate

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

People have different definitions on what refined and natural is. They believe that the bees refine the nectar into honey, thus even straight from the hive honey isn't raw. Better to have fresh produce that's planted by machines, sprayed with pesticides, watered and harvested by machine, frozen, packaged, flown thousands of miles, irradiated, and put on display in the store as nature intended.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Honey contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, phytonutrients etc, but it is high in sugar and void of fibre which in excess can lead to fatty liver disease, diabetes etc.

Manuka honey has higher nutritional content.