hemp/olive oil

harpieharpie Raw Newbie

hello

Anyone here use oil? is it classed as raw if cold pressed? i've read mixed reports, so am still unsure.

One thing i do know is that i just love hemp oil on salad. i crave fat allot. i cant sleep unless

i've eaten enough to make me feel nice and full.

would soaked nuts would be a better option for extra fat perhaps?

Thanks for help : )

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Soaked nuts would probably be a better option as they have accompanying nutrients always better to find wholefood sources. Seeds are also a good choice, chia is my favorite at the moment.

I believe even if there cold pressed there not considered raw, but there is raw oils out there one i know for sure is the vega EFA mixed oil, coconut oil should be another common raw oil.

• cold pressed, unrefined, virgin are raw. I use coconut oil in most recipes. Also as lotion after a shower. I find for me olive oil is way too fatty to consume in large amounts. Avocados are nice and fatty too! I mash up 2-3 for a guacamole mix and use that as my dressing for salads. My body craves a lot of fat too. I constantly snack on nuts and use them a lot for desserts.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I actually wrote an article a little while back about consuming oil:

http://www.fitonraw.com/2010/06/raw-oil-is-not-healthy/

Hope that helps,

Swayze

Im not sure i agree fully with that swazye although the basis i do. From the studys and excerpts ive read on coconut oil it is helpful for a variety of conditions such as thyroid disorders, immune problems, digestive disorders etc.

But yeah in most cases the oils are pure fat so you have to watch not consume too much.

• harpieharpie Raw Newbie

thanks for your posts.

hi Swayze, you say:

"

make sure to keep the amounts to a minimum (i.e. 1 tbsp) and to avoid consuming with sweet fruit of any kind."

Oh noo, I add apple and plum to my salads. why is it bad to mix fruit and fat and with avocado?

I add avocado and apple with spinach in my smoothies. is that a bad thing?

thanks for help on this.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

harpie, because the simple sugars in fruits digest much quicker than the overt fats like avocado. Eating the two together impairs digestion, leading to fermentation of the sugars.

That said, the amount of impairment will depend upon the amount of fat consumed and also the type of fruit. Citrus fruits like orange and pineapple and some sub-acidic fruits like strawberries tend to digest pretty well with fatty foods.

Swayze

Is there anything to suggest this swazye, i hear this often on the raw forums?

From my understanding fermentation of food comes from low stomach acid allowing the food to sit and ferment causing digestive symptoms such as bloating, gas etc. But im from a different background and i havent read Dougs book is it in that?