Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Babies/children

Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hello All!

I have a question for all the mothers and fathers out there who are feeding their children raw diets. How much of what do you feed them? And what age did you start them on solids? Did you breast feed for a long time? Thank you!

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I breast fed my daughter until she was 26 months old. She ate a small amount of solid foods, but always preferred breast milk. Then one day she told me she was done nursing and she stopped “cold turkey”. She then went right to solid foods. I wasn’t raw then, but our family only ate whole foods in a natural state, just cooked. (No packaged foods, etc.). Now, my daughter eats primarily fruits and vegetables throughout the day. She does occassionally have some sprouted bread with nut butter on it, but that is few and far between. She enjoys salads, and raw desserts as well. Hope this helps!

• My daughter is a little over a year. I juice a lot of things for her and give them to her in a bottle. I also blend smoothies for her and recommend breastfeeding for a long time.

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hey you guys! That does help allot. I was just wondering how you ensure you babies are getting everything that they need to grow strong and healthy. But I suppose I should also remember, that some children are being brought up on formula (so awe full, if you ever read the ingreds) and they are surviving. I figured breast feeding would be the way to go for a long time, until they are strong enough to feed themselves, or like spiritedmama, ask for solid food. I also suppose it is specific to the child to. Thanks again you guys! Bless you!

• Yup my little guy is on formula (yuk!) my milk would just not come in enough and then I got preggo again soo…I’ve been feeding him solids since about 5 months old hoping to get him off this formula as soon as possible. I basically just make him smoothies in my vitamix and he goes nuts!! His favorite is banana, blueberry, spinach with a little almond milk to thin it out. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with nuts probably because I germinate the almonds first. He gets a smoothie about 3 times a day in his high chair, but is still having at least six bottles each day. He absolutely refuses anything cooked so that’s good. I tried some steamed yam last night and no way…

• oops I guess I should have added that he is now 10 months old and is VERY healthy and thriving. He’s never been sick, and he grows like a weed. We call him our little linebacker, which is so funny ‘cause he was very small at 5 pounds when he was born.

• I had a question that’s been weighing on my mind.. I’m not sure I’ll be able to breastfeed, I had a breast-reduction surgery at age 16 (long story) and was told then that breastfeeding may be possible but it’s a wait-and-see thing. I suppose I wouldn’t be so worried if I were still living in the US because of the better formulas available but here in Kurdistan there is just one and if you ask me it’s horrible, but it’s all there is.. If I have to bottle feed my daughter is there maybe something I should be thinking about adding to the formula to make it better for her?? Someone suggested a couple of drops of black seed oil but I’m not sure how good that would be for her.. Thanks K-Mom

• Hi k-mom, check this site out.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

It talks about how to make your own formula. I don’t know what all you have available where you are. It is very difficult for me to obtain raw milk where I live so I didn’t opt for this but maybe it will help you. Peruse the site a bit, I know the recipes are there somewhere. Hope this helps!

• Hey KurdishMom! I also had a breast reduction surgery when I was 17 (best surgery I did for myself, I have to say) and when I was 22, I had my daughter. I was under a lot of stress when I had Lily (I had her mid-April, went back to Uni a few days later, had finals, moved literally 1 hour after my last final, dealt with other stuff, etc). I was able to breast feed!!! Wasn’t for very long and the doc said I would have had more success if I was in a less stressful environment and that if I was going to have more children (I’m not) then I would probably benefit from a stress free environment and more focus on personal health and I would be more successful. So I recommend having a positive attitude….you can do it!!! Don’t worry about the surgery…give it your best shot and have confidence before you turn to formula. I’ll be rootin’ for ya! :)

• Oh yeah….kids and raw…. I try, oh I try…. We are “converting” to raw…in fact, this evening I’m heading to the bookstore to purchase a book to help w/ my motivation. Lily (my 3 y/o) likes about 75% of what I make. She’ll like it more, I think, as I make more. I also try to get her involved with what I’m making. She loves helping in the kitchen. She eats “cooked” food at her daycare, but I’m hoping to get her into a montessori school in about a year and if I can’t afford it, then when she goes to a public school I can pack her lunch. I don’t necessarily want her to “blend in” but I don’t want her to stick out either. Kids have enough to deal with, let alone harassment at lunch time. I’m fortunate, though…my daughter has always preferred fresh fruits and veggies to anything prepared. Before going raw, on her first b-day, we had cupcakes…she took one nibble and set it down, pointed to the fruit bowl and said “nana peez!” and wanted that instead!

• i have a baby who is 10 mos old. i breastfeed and apparently breastfeeding is the way to go. tho my baby seems really hungry for solids as well. i am converting to raw food. i have several awesome vegan/vegetarian baby recipe books but they all call for cooking. since they all pretty much include vegetables, why not serve them raw? of course you need to be educated on the how-to’s and i am learning. for example one recipe called for a cauliflower and brocoli bake. i thought about how to make it raw… then came up with a few ideas. i just blended up the cauliflower and brocoli till it was crumbly. set aside. blended up some avacodo (for the “cheese”) with sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil (for a tangy taste) dried shitake mushrooms soaked prior (for a smoky flavor) nutritional yeast, some salt, and nut milk. my baby ate this slowly, but surely. i was thrilled.

• justbeautiful, you might want to consult with your pediatrician before giving your baby anything nut related. I was always taught to wait until a child was at least 2 or so before introducing nuts, as nuts tend to be a source of allergies. Also, mushrooms might be a point to consider as they are a fungus and many people have a sensitivity to them. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, but just make sure to do your homework first.

Take care

-Tessa

• well, in the recipe books i have there are several mushroom recipes so im fine on that. as for the nuts- i did not realize. i actually added rice milk to the avocado mixture. but this is def a point to consider.

• You can also make green smoothies. Use only 1 green and 1 fruit, then you can add different fruits as you find the baby isn’t allergic. 2 of my daughters love green smoothies and will drink a pint at each sitting!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

My naturopath/midwife told me that if I was ever not able to breastfeed in an emergency situation that rice milk or carrot juice were the next best options. I never had to worry about it, so I didn’t bother to do the research on them. Just other options you might want to consider/research.

• When my breastmilk dried up on the eighth month because of stress, I started to feed my daughter goat milk and plenty of green smoothies and she is thriving!

• Hi lovely mama’s— I wanted to let you know about a few book resources for raw babies/children. There is a chapter in Gabriel Cousens book, “Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine” called Raising Rainbow Babies. Also a wonderful little book called “Baby Greens: A Live-Food Approach for Children of All Ages” by Michaela Lynn and Michael Chrisemer. Blessings.

• Hello, I have been raw for almost 4 years now, had a raw pregnancy and now my raw baby is just over 1 year old. He is pretty into the boobie (one of his first words!) and is eating more solid food everyday. He first became interested in food when he was about 3 months old so we would blend up an apple or a pear for him. Then he started wanting whatever we were eating so I would share my salads with him. These days we give him fruit throughout the day and random snacks, he loves homemade flax crackers and goji berries, and usually one bigger meal a day with avocado in it. His favorite food has always been green smoothies and he can polish off a nectarine in record time. Today he ate 4 fresh figs in a row which seemed like so much food for one little man! He still breastfeeds throughout the day and night and doesn’t show any signs of wanting to quit anytime soon which is fine with me. Anyway I think the best thing when it comes to feeding kids is let them guide you. They haven’t been polluted like us and still have some great instincts. For example my son will want lots of one food for awhile and then will suddenly not touch it again for a long time. I think it’s his body saying “okay I’ve gotten what I need from this food now give me something else!” I am just so grateful that I was given the knowledge about raw foods so that I can give him the best possible start in life.

• Hello all of you wonderful mothers! I can speak to breastfeeding, as I nursed my daughter until she was over 3 years old, and then I had to stop in order to take a necessary medication. She wanted to talk to the doctor about no more “didi”! For the younger children, if you belong to LaLeche League, there is a wealth of information to be had about foods for toddlers.

My daughter had strictly breast milk until she was 9 months old because of food allergies. And get this – I had been a vegetarian for over 10 years, and she was allergic to EVERYTHING veg-heads eat! Once we took care of the food allergy problems through homeopathic remedies and such, her first foods were simply what we ate, only sent thru a hand-operated food processor. I also remember chewing up (steamed) collards and feeding them to her as she stood next to me!

Please keep in mind, too, that toddlers and preschoolers only need the equivalent of 1/4 CUP of food three times a day in order to thrive! I should mention that my daughter has never been sick a day in her life, no usual childhood diseases, ear infections, nothing! She is now a beautiful 17-year-old who is venturing with me into raw.

As for the preteens and teens, grab a copy of Eating Without Heating by Sergei and Valya Boutenko. I attended a lecture last week by their mother, Victoria, and bought four of their books, including Green for Life – my new bible! In the children’s book, they cover all sorts of things regarding taking lunch to school and “fitting in” among other things. www.rawfamily.com will give you more info about this fascinating family.