High protein raw diet?

Hello everyone, :)

I am very new at raw eating and I'm not a 100% raw. I started to try raw diet and found that It's dficult to me to get as much proeteins as I would like. Could you guys tell me how do you get your protein?

Before I became a vegetarian I was eating lots of beef, milk, eggs and curd. Fours years ago I stoped to eat meat and started to eat even more diary, eggs and soy to get much proteins. It lasted only for few months, I stoped to do training for few years. One year ago I stoped to eat diary, eggs and fish but half of year ago I started to do excersises again and eat more proteins as well. Not that much like when I was 14 but more than average people eat. Now I'm trying to eat more raw but I have some problams with this. I was trying to eat 100 % raw but I was always hungry. Could some one tell me some high protein recipes? I am eating sunflower seeds, flax-seed, sesame ( just I don't know how to prepare that), pumpkin seeds and some nuts to get my protein but I don't know many recipes with that and I feel its not enouth. I would like to get about 1,5 grammes proteins on one my body killo (I weight 50 kilos) with all amino acids but I feel its so impossible right now. Is it possible at all in raw vegan diet?

I would be very grateful to hear your advices and recipes :] ? ? ?

Thanks

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Hey, you dont need as much protein as some like to believe, but the general guideline is 1gram of protein per kg of bodyweight. You can use some caloric calculator such as fitday to see what your getting in an average day.

good raw sources of protein are nuts and seeds like your already eating, sprouts are high in protein, seaweed have a good amount of protein per weight aswell as many other health benefits. Goji berries etc all have a good amount of protein. You will make up the rest of your protein intake through fruits and vegetables.

If your still low then you can supplement with a raw protein powder such as the vega thrive whole food smoothies, or raw rice protein, hemp protein or pumpkinseed protein powders. If you are weight training your going to need extra calories and thus comes extra protein so it would be wise to supplement.

• Thank you powerlifer. Yes, I know that I don't need that much proteins but I need it for excersises. I don't have money for suplements and I would like to have everything I need from my food. I know that most people say it is possible but I don't know what kind of dishes to make with all theese seeds.

Mostly my day of eating is like that:

Breakfast: some some soaked grain with sprouts, not much of seeds, honey (i'm not a vegan), dried fruits (not raw)

At school: apples and sometimes bananas, nuts and some not raw dish

Dinner: Some not raw dish high in proteins like beans wich I would like to replace with seeds

Then I eat some vegetables

and in Supper I eat seeds

So I need recipes for supper (very high in protein meal) and for dinner something also hight in proteins. (I don't have hope to eat raw at school.)

Im not a 100% raw anymore myself so i do eat cooked vegan dishes which like your having for dinner obviously is an easy way to up your protein intake. I felt no different 100% raw than high raw with cooked vegan meals, and i enjoy my vegan cooking so it was an easy compromise.

There are many raw gourmet recipes especially some on this site, check them out and whack the nutritional info into one of the calorie trackers such as fitday to see what the macro levels are like for the meal. Alot of them use seeds and nuts so there going to be high in protein, but just watch your not taking in too much fat in the process from all the nuts/seeds over the day.

I know you cant afford supplements, but do you have a blender? You could blend some hemp seeds to make a hemp seed protein powder to up your protein intake easily.

• What is the problem with fats? I don't want to loose weight so I think I don't need to avoid that?

No, I don't have a blender but I have a coffee grinder. I will try to do it with that. But thanks any way because someday I'll have a blender so all advises are valuable. B)

No problem with fats in moderate quantities, most of the nuts and seeds are rich in good fats anyway. Its just if your using lots of them throughout the day your calories from fat might be abit on the high side. It would be hard to tell without using one of the calorie counter to assess your average macro nutrient intake. Aslong as your not eating excessive intake of nuts and seeds there's no problem in my opinion.

Just as high fat diets have been shown to be problematic so have low fat diets. I like to eat somewhere in between, moderate has always worked for me.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I eat high fruit, low fat (very little nuts/seeds, no legumes or grains) and get plenty of protein, mostly coming from sweet fruit and green leafy vegetables. I am an athlete, too. Too much protein is a problem. If you get enough calories from whole foods, you get enough protein.

P.S. I"m not trying to lose weight, either, but I would rather have a muscular body than a flabby one, so I don't stuff myself full of fatty foods, which also have less nutrition than non-overtly fat fruits & vegetables. I also like to have continuous energy, so low-fat, high carb works for me!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It is hard to get more protein without just eating MORE. Or using powders. I have also shifted to using beans to get more protein. You can get more protein per forkful of food this way. Seeds are fine to eat but they are high fiber and the protein is not as absorbable sometimes as a powder with sprouted rice or pea.

There is really no reason you HAVE to be 100% raw. If it doesn't fit your protein needs, it's OK to eat some vegan protein.

I wish one of the high fruit/low fat raw fooders would punch the details into a calorie counter to see how much fruit and veg we need to take in the protein RDA i.e 0.8-1g per kg.

If you could do that for me superfood it would be most appreciated.

Ok ive worked it out solely on bananas i know no one just eats bananas, but for my weight 80kg id need to be eating 80 bananas a day to meet the RDA for protein, in turn id be getting 1840g of carbs which although high carb isnt bad that is far too high to be healthy.

Even if i thirded that amount and ate 30 bananas, id still need masses of other food to get anywhere close to the RDA for protein. Im going to give this a try this week see how hard it is. Obviously i can add a little nuts/seeds so that will help shave off say 5-10 bananas or equivelent fruit with a gram of protein per serving.

But theres no way 1840g of carbs a day can be good for you.

I've done plenty of times on fitday and calculcated my protein intake. I get about 60-90 g. per day eating sweet fruit and greens. It's not my fault if you tried to calculcate some extreme and didn't include greens. I don't know if I have the patience for that type of nonsense. My protein needs are 40-50 g. per day.

What do you mean type of nonsense i already said i was basing that on bananas alone. You seem to take things very defensively rather than helping.

All i was asking is how is it achieved before you get all defensive could you list your average daily meal plan so i could try it myself.

1 cup of romaine lettuce only has a gram of protein again, so how much would i need to balance it out. I usually eat one or two plate fulls of salad so i guess around 5g-10g pushing it grams of protein per my greens.

I said "nonsense" because you wanted to supposedly provide an example, but it seems like you didn't even try to do a balanced day. And you seem to be contrary/argumentative whenever it comes to a fruit-based diet, so forgive me if I don't desire to come on a RAW message board to argue about RAW food. I come here for friendships/support and people who know how to eat/live raw.

Im on a high fruit diet myself so how you came to that conclusion i dont know, i do post contrary to many posts here as there so full of inaccuracies its unbelievable, and if someone doesnt correct the inaccuracies you end up with a forum full of drivel and people copying others inaccuracies.

How many times ive asked someone to post an example day of high fruit where i can meet protein RDA and no one has done it yet. I cant work these calorie counters as ive said, so im needing someone to come forward and post what they eat. If your actually following the high fruit/low fat lifestyle then can you please post a daily guideline where you got 80-90g of protein, if not i can only assume your hiding something because ive asked this about 5 times from yourself with no reply.

There are many others in my position who havent been able to work out a plan to get that protein, infact this question from the OP was about that. So why not help instead of wanting to argue with me. I like the last bit of your post "know how to eat/live raw" surely at some point you were new to the game, what about the 1000s of newbie raw that come here every day. Going raw isnt easy and high fruit is even harder as i still havent been able to work out a viable plan to meet certain RDA's.

I think in the last thread you asked for this, I posted it; as well as I'm aware of your posts on another raw forum and I repleid there as well. What other nutrient information do you want so I can be complete and not have to use my tiem to do this once again?

(I obviously don't have anything to hide; anyone can use cron-o-meter, fitday, sparkpeople, and I have posted in the what did you eat today thread.....how that appears as "soemthing to hide" I don't know. It could be "I don't want to do the work for you again.")

All i want is a sample of what your eating if you have the time to post it isnt that hard ive asked many times with no replies. It would be appreciated to not only me but the 100s of others who come on here asking the same question every week.

i.e 4 bananas for breakfast.

a pound of grapes etc.

All i want is one sample day where you have got the 80-90g of protein that you stated you did, so i can play around with it and modify it to my own needs.

Okay, when I can, I will post some (even though it's already in the What did you eat today thread). I don't feel I have anything to prove to anyone, so if 100s of people want something from me, I don't really feel any pressure or obligation about it.

I dont want you to prove anything i just want you to help me and others in a similar position with a sample of your plan which meets exactly the amount of protein i need like you stated you easily get.

I havent been able to find a calorie counter that i can work easily, but i just looked at that thread and off the top of my head most of them dont come anywhere near the protein RDA, now obviously that depends on size, but it would get into silly amounts of food again for me to achieve it.

10 c. kale

5 c. chard

7 c. mixed greens

5 leaves basil

3 medjool dates

1 Brazil nut

2 c. carrots

2 c. cucumbers

8 celery stalks

2 large apples

1/4 fennel bulb

2 c. red raspberries

13 medium bananas

1 tsp. triple blend seaweed flakes (nutritional value not added to calculator)

2,584 calories total, 86% from carbs, 7% from protein, 7% from fat

60.6 g. of protein

I get my B12 sublingually, as it's best absorbed, and vitamin D from sunlight.

Vitamin A - 1,242% RDA

Vitamin B6 - 704% RDA

Vitamin C - 1,559% RDA

Vitamin E - 88% RDA

Calcium - 166% RDA

Copper - 541% RDA

Iron - 156% RDA

Magnesium - 365% RDA

Manganese - 802% RDA

Niacin - 183% RDA

Pant. Acid - 217% RDA

Phosphorous - 194% RDA

Potassium - 291% RDA

Riboflavin - 286% RDA

Selenium - 342% RDA

Thiamin - 190% RDA

Sodium - 84% RDA

Zinc - 133% RDA

---------------------------

Another day

4 lb. red cherries

8 c. strawberries

5 bananas

4 oranges

10 c. kale

5 c. chard

2 c. tomatoes

1.5 avocadoes

2,906 calories total, 77% from carbs, 16% from fat, 7 from protein

70.8 g. protein total

118.5 g. fiber

Vitamin A - 1,014% RDA

Vitamin B6 - 519% RDA

Vitamin C - 2,864% RDA

Vitamin E - 111% RDA

Calcium - 178% RDA

Copper - 678% RDA

Iron - 165% RDA

Magnesium - 327% RDA

Manganese - 833% RDA

Niacin - 222% RDA

Pant. Acid - 244% RDA

Phosphorous - 205% RDA

Potassium - 292% RDA

Riboflavin - 278% RDA

Selenium - 40% RDA (i don't eat brazil nuts every single day, i get plenty with a few per week)

Thiamin - 233% RDA

Sodium - 52% RDA

Zinc - 132% RDA

I don't know what you consider "silly amounts of food," Powerlifer- maybe if you were brought up thinking you need to restrict your calories instead of freely eating, it might seem "silly" to eat ENOUGH fruits and vegetables and not live in worry about "over"eating 100 calories. LIfe is much better when you feel free to eat when hungry. Your appetite may increase eventually as well, as your body gets used to more fiber- and water-filled foods.

No ive always consumed more calories partially because i was a bodybuilder. To me like durian does 30 bananas a day isnt doable for me even blended.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, the first one i wouldn't able to do as i couldnt find half them vegetables such as chard, id need to watch that amount of kale raw also as that would be a massive amount of goitrogen and having healed my thyroid problem id likely not want to do back.

The second example you did looks good and more in line with what i can find fresh and organic. Again i might need to tinker with it as thats alot of kale for me and the last thing id want again was hypothyroidism that made my life hell. I suspect a large portion of the protein comes from kale so i may have a problem there.

Cheers appreciate that anyway and taking the time:), you dont happen to have the amount of grams of carbs for the second plan?

Powerlifer, I don't think my posting something that *I* ate means that I think other people should eat the same thing. You don't have to compare what I prefer/have access to, to what you want. Any fresh fruits and vegetables you eat will be good for you, if they're available to you. :)

618 g. of carbs

I know that i was only basing it on what you have posted, same goes with chard id be afraid to consume that in any quantity due to the goitrogenic issue.

What calorie tracker did you use for this and is it fairly easy to use? I wonder what the cal diffference to protein would be without the kale and chard and with i assume .C means cup, 10 cups of romaine lettuce.

Anyway cheers again thats helped a fair bit.

You're welcome. I use fitday.com. It's free. I find it's pretty easy. They might not have things like certain seaweeds or nutritional yeast in their system, but I have added my own, too - You can add your own food and its nutritional value in.

yes, "c." is cup. I like romaine, spinach, spring mix, other leafy greens, too. Depends on waht looks good at the market. :)

Yes, greens are great as a protein source! :)

• Superfood2 thanks for posting what you eated per day. :)

It looks so much food! How many times do you eat per day? I could never eat that much, it seems impossible. I tried to eat much of fruits and vegetables but I always felt hungry. I was eating almost all the time and still felt hungry. RDA what are you eating looks so inspiering, I'll try to eat more fruits and vegetables but 3 bananas look much to me, I probably won't be able to eat 13 and 10 cups of cale. O_o

You're welcome! I don't eat three meals per day; I'd say I eat on average six but not six set meals - I eat whenver hungry and it might average out to six. :) I have a full-time job, work out 5-7 days per week, and have a relationship. It can be done!

• Two things:

QUINOA

MILLET

Those two grains are complete proteins. They provide all the essential aminoacids needed in the human diet. If you still eat a percentage of cooked food, you can use these two grains in cooked form. I make beer with them :)

Sprouted quinoa is great, just make sure to wash it first, and only soak them for about four hours, no more.

Also, try lentils, soy and other beans, you can sprout them.

Another rich source of protein and pretty much every other nutrient we need are microalgae: spirulina and chlorella can be bought in powder form or as pills. I buy powdered chlorella and spirulina and what I do is I take avocado and smash it, like when you make guacamole, you can also add raw tomatoes, and then you blend in the spirulina and chlorella powder. Eating this will make your skin feel really soft also.