Thoughts on sparkling mineral water?

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Good or bad? Just curious, maybe someone out there might have info on it that I’m unaware of! Just wondering about the “sparkling” aspect of it. Thanks!

Comments

• I’ve always been amazed that water can come out of the ground sparkling! If it’s the real thing it should be great. I haven’t researched other types.

• carbonated water can leach calcium from your bones, so take an extra 20 mg of calcium for every eight ounces of carbonated water (or other carbonated beverage) you have a day.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Interesting Dan. Do you know what it is about the carbonation that causes this to happen??? I never drink the stuff but the other day it crossed my mind to make some sparkling lemonade. Eh, maybe I won’t even bother with it now.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

when i am craving soda, which isn’t very oftne anymore, i get gerolsteiner, which as far as i know is all natural sparkling water. i like it plain or with a twist of lemon or lime.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Surely it doesn’t come out of the ground bubbly!? Don’t they carbonate it?

• Carbonated beverages (including water) contain phosphorus, which can upset the balance of calcium in the body. Caffeinated colas (such as Coke and Pepsi) tend to be higher in phosphoric acid than clear soft drinks (like 7-Up and Sprite), but both are hard on your bones if your calcium intake is poor.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i found this on the gerolsteiner site. they say it is from a natural volcanic source, therefore can be considered natural. it definately is not as fizzy as coke or pepsi. i’m sure it wouldn’t be good to drink everyday, but i think as an occasional treat, its nice.

“Carbonic acid is a weak acid that develops when mixing carbon dioxide and water. Natural carbonic acid develops through volcanic activity. It then rises up and permeates the depth water, which is then in turn collected as natural mineral water.

Carbonic acid increases the water’s ability to solubilize minerals from the surrounding rock. Once in the bottle, carbonic acid not only gives the water its typically fresh flavor but also naturally keeps it from going off. Carbonic acid has a preserving side-effect and kills bacteria. In the mouth the carbonic acid cleans the taste buds and stimulates both blood circulation and salvia production. The tongue is able to differentiate between finer variances in flavor and thus the subtleties of food and drink.

For the production of Gerolsteiner mineral water, the carbonic acid from the Gerolsteiner well is used. In other words: both water and carbonic acid is pumped from the subterranean sources. After processing, the carbonic acid is added to the water before bottling. The carbonic acid from all of the springs is combined and added to the product as a mix.

Gerolsteiner Sprudel contains 7 g/l and Stille Quelle contains 4.5 g/l carbonic acid. “