Protein requirements and natural sugar intake

Hello everyone :)

I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on the topic of an ideal protein intake. One of my books says 68 g, my raw detox book says only 25g.

I get most of my protein from nuts and seeds, I don't want to overdue it, as I'm hoping to lose weight and they are high in fat. Maybe there are other protein options I'm missing? I have considered taking a hemp protein supplement.... but that doesn't really jive with my diet plans at present....

I am 5'7'', currently around 165 lbs, looking to lose 15-20 pounds and I work out 3-5 times a week and often walk wherever I need to go.

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to get too much fruit sugars? Fruit is my go to snack and have to make more of an effort with greens.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks dudes! :D

Comments

• Here is what I am doing now :) If you're interested...

On the mornings I go to the gym, I have a smoothie for breakfast with frozen fruit and soaked nuts (1/2-1 c.), a fresh banana and sometimes I add in a little something like sprouts or flax. Sometimes I swap the nuts for an avocadoe.

After my workout I have whatever is left of the smoothie.

The rest of the day I will have raw fruit (banana,apple,pear,berries,orange) maybe a handful of nuts and either a salad, green smoothie, or some kind of interesting recipe I have found.lol. and maybe some raw brocolli or carrots in the evening.

I also take a multi-v, spirulina and a probiotic.

On the days I don't work out I don't worry about my protein, and just eat whatever feels good.

blah blah blah blah blah :P

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

I really wouldn't worry about your protein requirements unless your calorie intake is low. If you want a target number I'd shoot for 30+, which should be easy to do if you calorie intake is high.

Same thing regarding fruit sugars, no need to worry about getting too much. If you're hungry, and provided you get your greens in at some point, go straight for the fruit.

Just my two cents.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

1g of protein per kg of bodyweight is pretty much the accepted standard.

• In my opinion, I think you are using too many nuts and fruits in your diet. Especially to lose weight. You need much more variety in your vegetables. You'll get plenty of protein if you're eating enough dark, leafy greens. For example, you get more percentage per calorie of protein in vegetables than nuts, seed, grains, or fruit. The legumes are almost as high in protein content as the vegetables. And, if you still feel you need more protein, then add a plant based protein powder to your smoothie.

• haha... such conflicting advice. I like how I spelled "over do", "overdue" hahaha... I was tired.

I think I do need to put some more effort in on the vegetables, I will try to find different things I like.

I understand that throughout the day I can meet my protein intakes through fruits and veg, but what about morning workouts? Is a smoothie with leafy greens and fruit going to cut it????

It seems like going raw will have to be a process of trial and error for me, and see how I feel as it goes along. There is so much conflicting information. I just want to treat my body the best I can!!! Why is that so hard??

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

While I haven't done lfrv(which some would also consider low protein) for long stretches yet, I can say that personally I've seen no difference in eating 811 and eating a 'normal' diet with protein powders added to after workout smoothies, at least as far as short term recovery goes.

If you've tried various protein amounts in after workout smoothies before and feel you do better with more, then go for it. If it's just because of the general 'gotta have the protein after the workout' consensus amongst some, I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty much every aspect of health and nutrition is debated by somebody, even amongst top 'experts'. Personally I kind of think after working out I want mostly carbs, to replenish my glycogen stores because of that 'optimum window', and a bit of protein to stimulate muscle recovery(fruit smoothies have just the right proportions for what I currently 'feel' is right for me); and have a more protein meal at night, because your body does most of recovery(including building muscles) while you're sleeping.

But, as you said, there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and I'm sure someone can disagree with me. But the great thing to remember is the human body is amazing, and while people can argue about the optimum diet, the best way to recover, etc. as long as you just make an effort to try and eat healthy and exercise, you'll get there. People may go through stages of stepping up their eating healthy and training harder/longer, but barring any actual medical problems, with enough time and training anyone can meet their goals.

Also remember stress is something that will hold you back, personally I think it's (one of) the reason I haven't gotten the results I've wanted yet. So worrying about what's the best way to treat your body, or HAVING to be 100%, and stressing about various aspects may do more harm than good. Research is great and can help you to do better, but actually LIVING life is the best way to get the results we want; and to live life well is why we want those results in the first place. Trying to hard to do our best can actually hold us back. Ironic, eh?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

As a serious bodybuilder and not an endurance athlete which will require less protein i have to say even with high raw and vegan diet with around 80g of protein i wasnt repairing optimally like i would on a SAD diet years back.

Adding some raw protein powders are what helped me get back gaining, like i say the excess calories weren't even working to help me gain.

• Thanks guys :)

I'll do some experimenting :)