Is raw cheeze supposed to smell really terrible?

A couple days ago I whipped up my first batch of cultured raw cheeze (Russel Jame's video) and it's been sitting on the counter draining for the last two days as he says. However, this morning I noticed it had a TERRIBLE rancid smell. Is this what "cultured" means? It smells like chopped veggies and banana left enclosed in the sun for a couple months. Would you presume it's safe to eat? It's made of almonds, cashews, water, and probiotics.

Thanks!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

what does it taste like? it should taste a little sharp like dairy cheese, and smell not far off from it. if it tastes awful, you probably overfermented it or it was at too high of a temperature. 24-48 hours is the ideal fermentation time. perhaps also there was a bad almond or cashew in there that ruined the batch.

• I think it tastes rotten. My boyfriend loves it. Guess that's where it's going to go. :)

Perhaps I'm not used to cheese enough or something...been vegan a while. Hopefully that's it and I didn't just waste a bunch of money on probiotics. I don't think it was too high a temperature as where I'm living now the daily temperature is >30 degrees F and heating is expensive. Maybe I was overzealous on the probiotics. Next time I'll cut down on those and buy different nuts first.

Thank you!

• Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar

It might be time to try a different recipe! What about something with nutritional yeast in it for that instantly "cheesy" taste without having to worry about if it has gone rancid? I probably would have thrown out the entire thing. I'm very careful about what I put in my body. If there is even one question about a food, then it goes into the compost.

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I would try something a little less complicated. The raw mac and cheese on here looks good:

https://www.therawtarian.com/raw-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe

Have you tried it?

• JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

Here is a recipe I have used that is very good and really easy. No probiotics. Make it, refrigerate for 4 hours and it is ready to eat. It also freezes really well. I make it into 2 logs. Freeze one while I enjoy the other. You can omit the jalepeno and it is still super good. I also don't care for a smoky taste so I use regular paprika. Works great both ways. This is amazing on apples.

Smoky Jalepeno Cheddar Cheese

http://mydarlingvegan.com/2014/09/smoked-jalepeno-cheddar-cheese/

The Rawtarian cheese sauce recipe is also very good and super easy. It also works great on Laura-Jane's raw tacos.

ClaireT
  • EvergreenHillsEvergreenHills Raw Newbie

If it smells rotten, I would suggest not eating it. Sometimes it's best to follow your gut instinct - in this case, follow your nose!

TammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I'm with EvergreenHills on this one! If the nose says no, then it means no. Unless it's durian fruit. Then it is a matter of bravery.