any cold weather raw foodists?

pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hi there,

i started eating raw in summer and now it’s slowly coming into fall. it gets VERY cold in Connecticut. people keep telling me that i may love the diet now, but when it gets cold i’ll want some warm foods.

are there ways that people have found to keep warm AND raw?

thanks!

Comments

• Below 115 degrees is considered raw, so you could use a dehydrator to warm foods.

• The cookbook I have several recipes that call for dehydrating at 145 degrees and then going down to 118 after that for a couple hours. It makes it possible to make a lot of meals in 5 hours so you can put something in at lunch and have it ready by dinner instead of doing things the night before. I have made raw pizza and it’s warm like the real thing. Soups are easy to make and you can put extra “fillings” in that make it really substancial like pouring the soup over clelery onion , avocado etc. You can make an omlette type breakfast, pancakes, grated sweet potato pancakes, and tostados. All warm! Lunch soup and salad, or sandwich, and dinner some kind of spaghetti. The book is Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens. I just made the biscotti from it and it is great.

• Hi Pianissima - Where in CT are you? I live in NY – but spend weekends in Woodbury, CT. This will be my first winter being raw too, i plan on using lots of spice to heat things up! but i would love any tips anybody has as well. :)

• Hi again Pianissima! I just went to your website and WOW what beautiful music! That’s awesome!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I live in the cold, wet and windy UK. I didn’t find the cold an obstacles to my rawness.

I eat a lot of cayenne pepper, you can put a little bit in any recipe, even desserts, not enough to taste it but just a little to heat it up – a Juliano tip. I also love to make raw curries, mmmm.

In the winter I eat more dehydrated stuff and more cakes and puddings. I like pizza for winter (shazzie’s pizza in the recipe section is my fav) and raw chilli is excellent – the one out of Matt Ambsden’s book is great.Comfort foos doesn’t have to be warm, a raw ice cream cake in the middle of winer is so comforting to me!! Who needs roast potatoes?!

You can heat the plate you eat off under hot running water. This is good with soup bowls. Warm your food in the dehydrator.

Prepare for the winter by making sure your cirulation is working properly by doing yoga and stretching.

Raw foodists end up becoming much more temperature tolerant than cooked foodists, like kids whp don’t seem to worry about being out and playing in all weathers…so in time you will find that being in the cold is no problem at all.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

thanks for all the suggestions everyone (as usual… i love this website!). once i get a dehydrator i’ll use it to warm things…

oh, i really like the idea ZOE that you become more tolerant to cold weather. that makes a lot of sense to me.

aw, thanks writeeternity for listening! i’ll check out that book asap.

oh, and odessa7. i live in fairfield county. there is a restaurant i have not yet tried out in new haven that’s all vegan, half raw called “ahimsa.” it’s probably on your way up if you take i-95 =)

cheers, porter