Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

mental illness

do any of you know if a raw food diet can help to improve mental illness. I know someone who has very bad mental problems like anxiety, parnoia, derealization and others. She does not want to take medication because she is afraid of it making her symptoms worse. she took paxil several years back and she said thats when her problems began.

Comments

• Absolutely! I healed from chronic depression, anxiety and severe panic attacks via 100% raw diet. I’ve read of many people who have resolved mental/emotional issues including autism and schizophrenia by going raw.

Blessings,

Audrey 

• Hi Dnacol! Can you tell us a little bit more about what this person eats? An elimination diet would be good to start with and supplement with b complex. Celery juice is a good juice to start with. Drink a cup at night and in the morning and lunch if possible. It is supposed to help level electrolytes and nerves. I don’t know a specific example but I have always thought that food alergies and vitamin deficiencies had something (if not everything)to do with a lot of the cases out there.Start off by getting a good night sleep with the celery and possible melatonin supplement. In your friends case I’d say add a raw egg to a smoothie or cesar salad dressing for the choline if choline isn’t avalailable in a supplement. This shouln’t be taken at night though. I hope you can find something that helps!

• i too overcame some pretty significant ‘mental’ issues.. i was bipolar, and suffered stress induced seizures and panic attacks. But no more! now i am totally grounded, and loving life. I had always refused to take meds because i believed they would do more harm than good – if only i knew about raw foods 10 years ago my life would be totally different!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I have heard testimonials from people who have “cured” bipolar, anxiety, panic attacks, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depression…just to name a few! It also helps with ADHD and Sensory Processing Disorders.

• dnacol, i have been on zoloft for 8 years now for major depression. i have tried to decrease my dosage or go off of it completely many times unsuccessfully in the past. since going raw 2 1/2 months ago i have been weaning myself (with my dr’s permission) down from 50mg to 12.5 – you have to do it very gradually. but i am happy to report that i feel amazing still and expect to be zoloft free in the next month or 2! i never expected i’d be able to do this and i always HATED taking drugs to feel normal. i absolutely believe a RAW diet can make a huge difference.

• I can say for myself that just a change in diet to heavy alkaline (at least 70%) will resolve many mental/emotional issues. I was on Lexapro and its predecessors for over 14 years, and I completely weaned off it in April. The key is to take it very slowly, and remember (what no one tells you), it takes a few months for it to completely leave your body, but up to 6-8 months for antidepressants to completely leave your brain!

A cleanse for 10 days to 2 weeks is a good way to start, and then completely eliminate acid foods (meat, dairy, grains, sugar, caffeine, alcohol) and you will be amazed at how quickly you’ll recover. Besides the antiD’s, I am 98% recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia! Yay!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

yes. I have personal knowledge of treating schizo and bipolar with raw foods …esp in combo with other healing lifestyle strategies…like certain yoga practices. Kundalini yoga or triyoga is graet with raw foods to help get the energy going where it needs to go for mental relief and balance/stability.

• can anyone recommend any good websites or books on trying to treat mental illness with a raw food diet. also what is your take on fish oil or krill oil to treat mental illness? do you believe it can be treated with fish oil supplements?

• Can anyone point me to a website with scientific research that points to raw improving ones mental illness?

Most of the things I have read in books are personal journeys about how people feel on raw food, and what got healed, without anything to show why or how it did this.

Any thoughts?

• Hi Jdk Here is a site that has some good info. http://depression.about.com/cs/diet/a/vitamin.htm

I tend to believe that there are a lot of undiagnosed people who are having problems that they don’t need to have because of nutritional deficiencies.

Coffee is a big culprit because it mines vitamin and micronutrients and pure sugar does the same thing. Alcohol can cause vitamin K deficiencies, and niacin deficiencies.

Not having vit. k will make you go blind and cause you to bleed to death.

Other huge problems are people who have stomach issues that cause them to not absorb nutrients. More and more people have colitis, ulcers, and leaky gut syndrome from taking pain killers or undiagnosed food sensitivities.

Even stress can deplete a person who feels they are eating healthfully.

I hate to think of people suffering unnecessarily, especially people who are trying to eat raw because it is such an honorable pursuit I’d hate to see complications down the road.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

JKD SOCCER801 – There’s a video clip on We Like It Raw about depression:

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2007/09/heal…

It really makes me mad that doctors prescribe everyone from kids to grannies with horrendous drugs for mental problems and never mention diet. One depression drug called Seroxat actually causes suicidal feelings when given to young people. There have been many cases here of teenagers being given it for depression and them killing themselves shortly after taking their first few doses.

• I have heard 5http and tyrosine are great for making someone feel good. They are recommended for hypothyroid a lot. Tyrosine is produced when a person is out in the sun and because people are locked in office building and exposed to artificial light their internal clock and hormones get off. Melatoinin right before bedtime helps reset the body and is great to finally get a good nights sleep. I’d recommend taking it for a couple weeks to see. Tyrosine should be taken in the morning as it can actually keep you up. 5 http can be taken any time. I read a book about it a couple years ago. It had 5 http in the title.

I would also try to drink really green juice. I went and got a juice from whole foods yesterday and felt considerably more awake. I don’t know if you have a juicer – but the main thing is to just try green with no sugar. I asked the guy what he put in it and he said a couple hand fulls of spinach, a handful of parsely, 5 celery stalks, and a cucumber and a little lemon juice.

• I understand your friend's hesitation about medication, especially if she had a bad experience with Paxil. It's important to listen to her concerns and support her decisions. Maybe exploring alternative treatments, like therapy or lifestyle changes, could be helpful.