Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

too many dates?

2»

Comments

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

You know what you should try?

Tamarinds! They're sweet and tangy and much cheaper than dates. The taste is something like a fruit rollup.

ClaireT
  • gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

I'm going to look for them. Thanks for recommending! Are they easy to find at the regular grocery store? Are they in season now? Love to try new stuff!

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I ate 3 lbs of dates last week, yeah I think I have a problem. Maybe I'll have to nix the dates in my smoothies and force myself to subsist on the sweetness of fruit alone. I doubt I'll be buying bulk from the Date People right now (although, I'd really love to give them my business since they practice sustainable agriculture). But clearly, I cannot be trusted alone with 10 lbs of dates in my house. Unless somehow, I can train Sophia (my puppygirl) to hide them from me after I've made my smoothies. =\

ClaireT
  • mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

yah they're available at my grocery stores in little red boxes

• graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

I've seen tamarinds and always wondered about them....how do you actually go about eating them? they look like a brown bark covered pea pod right?

It took me all this time to run across those tamarinds (yep in red boxes) and they were in my favorite Asian Market this whole time. Very strange looking but they taste so good. I'm hooked. BTW I find I can handle less dates than before. Upset tummy from too much sweet :(

oh yeah, got some lychee fruits too. oh, we are so lucky!!!

• matthewmmatthewm Raw Newbie
    I ate approximately 80 pitted deglet noor dates today.. I should probably cut back
    ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Dates can definitely be addictive. That and dried apricots. I like to mix it up a little. cool

• edited May 2023

Has anyone heard anything about one eating too many dates? I absolutely love them and just can't get enough. It always seems as though when I find something I think is good for me that satisfies my sweet tooth it turns out to be not so great after all. I'm just wondering if this delightful obsession is too good to be true.

I don't think they do any harm. I eat a lot of dates everyday. However the dates i eat are deglet noor variety from Tunisia. I am a dates producer so just to check the quality etc, i end up eating a lot of them. But i find that generally, its hard to eat too many of Medjool dates for them being too sweet. As long as you are keeping your intake of food in general in check.