Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

purple coconut?

lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

hmmm….. so I hacked open my young Best brand coconut this morning to discover that the flesh inside is purple! ??? I tasted the water, and it tasted bitter, so I’m assuming that when the coconut turns purple, it must not be good anymore. Is this true? I haven’t seen this before.

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I would think that would be mold. I’ve never heard anyone else mention that. Don’t eat it!

• I’ve had (best) coconuts with purple water before, there was less meat in them, and it was more like jelly. I think they might just have been very underripe.

• I had this happen the other day with a batch of coconuts I bought from the store. Unfortunately, I belive the purple to be a sign that it has gone rancid, however, I removed the worst areas and ate it anyways :>, and well three days later I am fine. So I would hate to say go ahead and eat it and you get sick, but it also seems like a huge waste if it is only a bit off color.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

Well… the water didn’t taste sweet, so I tossed it, although the purple meat was really quite pretty. I was really looking forward to a nice fresh coconut this morning, but I’d rather not be sick. I was so surprised, though, and didn’t know what it meant. Maybe it’s an omen…. ;)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

DON’T EAT IT!!!!!!
    purple coconut is rotten, trust me, i have had experience in this matter.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

Good to know!! Thanks, Elizabeth, for the confirmation!

• yeah, I wondered the same thing. it’s almost like it is underripe as there is barely any meat, it’s more jelly like. I also found that the juice was not as sweet, almost with a little metallic taste to it.

• yeah definitely rotten

• I understand the purple is a reaction to an external preservative sprayed on the outside of the coconut, meaning that it leaked inside the coconut. Definitely toss all of it.

• I’ve seen that before. Not lately. Good to know not to eat the purple ones anymore. :P

• I bought four of the (best) young coconuts the other day and three of them were purple. I didn’t know what to do with them at first but this forum helped, thanks!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Does anyone know a source where I can order organic Thai coconuts shipped to me? From what I have read, a few raw restaurants no longer serve foods made from these because there is no source for organic ones. As a preservative, many growers are soaking fresh coconuts in formaldehyde for 5 minutes before shipping to prevent spoiliation. Hard to believe that someone would think this practice was acceptable. Anyway, I know two raw foodist here in my area and we are trying to find a sources for the food items we need, including coconuts. Thanks.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Very young coconuts are purple in color. Sort of a purplish pink color. They turn whiter as they get older and the meat becomes more solid. Taste the water. If the water tastes "off" then take the coconut back to the store and get a new one at no cost. There is another forum on here that goes into detail about it...

I was throwing away purple coconuts and it ends up that they were fine...BUT I did not taste the water first, I just thought, gross, purple coconut and tossed it. Taste that water :) That is the main thing, you must taste it and judge by that. I taste the water even if it has white meat. The other day I opened up 3 coconuts, one had clear water, one had golden water, and one had purple water. The white and clear water coconuts had thick meat, the purple one had thin and watery meat. All 3 tasted fine.

We eat a lot of coconuts. I have only had 1 bad coconut. It was gray in color and the water had a very strange aftertaste, so I did return that one. I also have read on goneraw.com that people say it also might smell badly if it is bad, but that was not the case with the one I had that was bad, it just tasted wrong, no bad odor. When in doubt, don't eat it :), but don't throw away your money. Grocery stores want you to be happy with your purchase and will give you another one, even if it is days later. Giant Grocery Stores have a 200% money back guarantee on produce, if you have your receipt, you get your money and a new coconut. If you don't have your receipt, you get a new coconut. I think others are beginning to have that also.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I have seen a recipe for making coconut yogurt (inoculated with probiotics and cultured in the dehydrator. - sorry, no I don't remember where I read it.) that said if the yogurt turns purple it has grown something bad, and not to eat it.

That would make me think that a purple coconut is one that has somehow gotten infected with something bad. I wouldn't eat it.

• Mine was purple this morning. It tasted good and smelled good. I'll let you know if I get sick. =0)

• I'm new to raw and have a raw coconut. How do I prepare it to eat?

• I just opened my coconut and the meat was purple too. I'm so glad you guys knew about this, although there are differing answers. It does seem as though it was very very young cause the meat was really jelly and the water tasted very fresh, almost a green taste, but also very sweet.

The brand was mellisa's. I got it from winco so wasn't sure what to think. I know i paid too much for it! Back the the asian markets for me.

• The purple/pink color of the coconut water and flesh indicates a super young coconut. They usually do not have much meat on them, but they are very sweet .

They turn whiter as they get older and the meat becomes more solid....

THEY ARE FINE TO EAT - YOU WILL NOT GET SICK FROM PURPLE COCONUT MEAT!!!

• coolgcoolg Raw Newbie

PURPLE COCONUTS MAY NOT BE FINE TO EAT!!!

The following person wrote on this other board, that they got terribly sick!!!

https://www.therawtarian.com/community/f/discussion/3169/thai-young-coconuts-shouldn-t-be-purple

COCOPURPS wrote:

I joined this board expressly to let others know about my recent, and still-continuing experience with a purple coconut. I was at a local supermarket and decided to try something new. I had seen an episode of this terrible new sitcom about a call-center in India in which the main character is an american who has been hustled daily into buying the very same type of cylindrical, pointy topped white coconut that I found in the store. Being a neophyte in the ways of the coconut, I googled how to open it and enjoy its contents. While draining the liquid I thought to myself "mmm, I don't seem to recall coconut water being purple, this must some exotic varietal and wow, now I'm in for a real treat." Guzzling the contents immediately, I noticed an aftertaste that remininded me of the taste of a hockey player's sock dunked in mud. SO, maybe an acquired taste? I still didn't know. Cleaving the coconut in rough halves revealed a browish-purplish slime that immediately triggered a fear response in my brain, although after an hour or so, noticing no ill effects, I was able to forget about it and continue the other bizarre pursuits that had been occupying my night. If there were any unwanted feelings regarding this coconut, they were purely based on having wasted $3.46. (people in more tropical climes are surely laughing themselves into a coma at this price)

Awakening the next morning, I notice that my mouth feels like I've been up all night doing shots of charcoal ash and saltines, and a tsunami of sweat pours forth from every pore as I clutch helplessly at the bed sheets in a futile attempt to extricate myself from my tomb of sweat-infused egyptian cotton. Upon reaching the bathroom, I do my best to recreate the pea-soup scene from the Exorcist, which then gives way to hopeless dry-heaving and general wretching of every kind. I won't mention what happens next, but suffice it so I wished I had bought stock in Charmin the day before. A sip of water yields the same effects and it is around this time that I realize that I have never, ever been more ill. At one point I was sure my eyeballs were going to explode and I resigned myself to a prone position on the floor, the cool tiles offering some small relief.

Fast forward two hours and now I'm shaking like a department store Santa on December 26th. I take my temperature and I'm too out of it to realize that 95.1 is far from normal. Dry heaving gives way to an ersatz form of gagging, despite the pints of water that I've forced myself to drink. Several more hours of this goes by, intensifying by the second and now I'm convinced that I need immediate medical attention. Drunk with illness, I cannot convey this musing to anyone around me and continue to be hammered with waves of nausea. I manage to choke down a couple of medium acting benzodiazepines and keep them down long enough to pass out for an hour or so. Of course, vomiting while you are unconscious is definitely not preferable to lucid-barfing and now I am at the threshold, far beyond what I thought the human body was capable of feeling, not to mention being covered in yak. Several more hours (the worst ones of my life) go by and I began to embrace the sickness, much like the hypothermia victim will feel warm and cozy the minute before his heart stops. I again drift off into slumber-land, and awake some two hours later, feeling like I have just hiked across death valley with a fur coat on with nothing to drink except warm Pabst and red-bull. I might want to contact Guinness and see what the world record for most water consumed in five minutes is, because I'm sure I shattered it.

Now, it's nighttime, and I still feel very beat up. There are ads for coconut related products at the bottom of this page and every time I glance down at them, the bubbling begins again. I feel like I can't even look at a coconut ever again for the rest of my life.

Do what you like, but there is at least one person in this world who can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that drinking mercury or drano would be a far better option than eating a spoiled coconut, and probably about as tasty. I running out of ways to be emphatic about this, so I bid you all adieu and hope that these paragraphs can one day spare some soul the crushing terror that I have undergone today.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Yikes! That sounds like the worst purple coconut experience ever!

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    hellen said:

let's throw it away because it's rotten.

Agreed, especially if it's an old coconut or something is clearly not right with the purple (like the slimy one mentioned before). 

• rosalierosalie Raw Newbie

Purple? I have never heard or seen about purple coconuts. There must be something wrong, and I suggest not to use it, it might be bad for health. 

ClaireT
  • carlfcarlf Raw Newbie

Agreed!!

ClaireT