Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long is every one sleeping while they are raw?

kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Hi

just wondering i heard when someone switches from cooked foods to raw foods the time they sleep sometimes severely decreases. Anybody expierience this? I would love to hear some stories.

Thanks

Comments

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

My sleep does decrease when raw. I am just rested on less. Greens and proper hydration are key. The more greens, the I seem to need. Usually I sleep 5 -6 hours. I used to sleep 7-9 hours.

• Used to need 9, now I'm happy with 4!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I like to sleep 7-8 hours, but I can function with 5-6

• Right now Im in detox because I recently became a raw vegan. I'm eating less to give my body the chance to use it's vital energy in healing rather than digesting raw delicious foods. :P

I am finding since i am in detox, I need more rest throughout the day and I sleep the same amount. But once my system is leaving detox I will notice great improvements in my energy.

Same happened when I went from vegetarian to vegan, I was experiencing MAJOR symptoms of detox. After eliminating dairy especially because I used to consume like 3 cups of that unhealthy stuff a day. My system was eliminating the toxins, mucous, and all other bad stuff from my system and going into my blood stream causing detox symptoms.

I cant wait for my detox symptoms to go away!

• I've always went to bed when I was tired and woken when I was rested, i've never been someone with very regular sleeping patterns. So it's kind of hard to really judge if I am sleeping alot less. I do know most nights I will stay up late (around 1-2 in the morning) and some night's i'll pass out at 9. It all depends on how I feel, my body knows when it needs rest.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i used to only need about 7-8 hours pre-raw but now i usually sleep 10-11 hours. that's when i don't need to wake up for anything. if i have to go to school, i get about 5-6 hours.

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

A decrease in sleep usually means your body is in adrenaline mode, usually an indication of too little calories or too much stimulants. Ideally you should get 10-12 hours of sleep a night, this is how nature has set it up. In our natural habitat(the tropics) the light cycle is 12/12(light/darkness), without any lights or convenience of modern day you would pretty much go to sleep every night when it got dark and woke up when light broke. Night time is also when most predators would be out so roaming around would present many dangers

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I sleep 10-12 hours. less and i'm screwed up in some way or another. it's strange though, because my mom is on a raw diet and for her that's way too much. she sleep 7-8 hours

• When I first went raw, I was getting less sleep than previously, 4-6 hours a night. I was planning my wedding at the time, so being kind of hyped up about that might have contributed, but I also wonder if it was connected to not eating enough calories. In the beginning, I didn't realize how much raw food you have to eat to get enough calories!

More recently I have been making a conscious effort to have a regular sleep schedule, going to bed by 11pm every night and getting up at 6 or 7am every day - even on weekends! I don't keep to this schedule perfectly, but I do notice that I feel much better when I get a full 8 hours of sleep.

• Before I started on raw foods more than ten years ago, I was sleeping 8-9 hours a night and had for years and was still always tired. When I started on 100% raw foods I suddenly only slept for 5 hours a night! To this day I only sleep 5 hours. Sometimes only 4 1/2 hours. If I go to bed at 10:30 at night I'm sure to wake up at 3:30 AM so I go to bed about 1 AM and I'm up at 6 AM ready to go. If I lie there and try to go back to sleep it doesn't work. I am still full of energy when it's bedtime too. I think a lot of the sleep studies that report that we need at least 8 hours of sleep must be based on people who eat the standard American diet. I feel great all the time and based on the 3 hours of day gift over 10 years, I gained 10,950 hours - wonderful, productive, waking hours. That

Bibi
  • kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Keewi although i do agree with that logic i just have one question. Since i am caucasian this means that where ever my ancestors lived it was further up north where there was less sunlight and colder whether. Does this mean that my sleeping may differ in some way or another?

• weeping_willowweeping_willow Raw Newbie

GOOOOOODNESSS yess. I was already an insomniac to begin with, not falling asleep until about 1 or 2 AM. Upon getting more involved with raw food again, I'm up until 4 AM and out of bed by 6:30 AM. Due to underlying issues, this is probably an extreme case.

My body doesn't seem to mind until about 4 PM or so, but I don't eat breakfast or lunch, so that's probably why. I just restore myself with a raw dinner or some juice. Then I'm up all night again.

Bibi
  • I get 8 hours a night, and after that point I wake up feeling like it's UP time...not that groggy, "uggghhhhh,....I need moooore..." kind of feeling. Even, like many others, 6 or 7 is fine too, it's just in my head that I MUST have 8 hours, and so that's what I time my bedtime by.

• LongTimeNurseRa-Most sleep studies are funded by the companies that sell sleeping pills. I don't believe the results are unbiased.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've always been best on 7-8 hours. This hasn't really changed since going raw although I'm only high raw and not 100%. I have found it much harder to lie in now though and can't get back to sleep the way I used to. I prefer this as I get much more done on the weekends now!

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

When I was doing strict 2 meals a day I slept an average of 4 hours per night, now I do 6-7 hours.

• When I was on a 30 day juice feast I needed very little sleep and always seemed energetic. I was up and ready to start my day after 4 or 5 hours, when usually I would feel groggy and needed 8 or more hours of sleep.

During my juice "fast" I felt great, on top of the world! I always thought that it seemed healthy... but after reading the post by keewi, I wonder if my body was just in that "adrenaline" state since I was getting very little calories. I was feeling great at the time, but could I have been causing some stress on my body that I would see in the future?

Where can I research that further, Keewi?

I'm wondering if this phenomenon of needing less sleep is healthy or not in the long run.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

10-12

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

It's an interesting point siazikk, I watched a tv program the other day which claimed that people who slept under 7 hours a night lived longer than those who slept longer. Could be rubbish - who knows!

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

Hey, RawKidChef - it's a scientific fact proven in a number of studies that teenagers need more sleep than adults. Whereas the average adult need 8 hrs of sleep per night, the average teen needs 12. This is because a teenager's body and brain connections are growing at a rate never approximated in their whole life axcept during infanthood. You know how babies need to sleep so much? They're bodies and brain connections are growing at a phenomenal rate too! So don't worry about needing more sleep right now... it's natural.

Bibi
  • RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

cool thanks :)

• jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

siazikk - what you were experiencing is known as a 'starvation high'. It is a physiological, chemical, and hormonal response, and yes, it is not because you have increased energy. It has to do with adrenaline and other factors. It is this unnatural clarity, alertness, and energy experienced during semi-starvation which convinces many people that they are achieving higher spirituality during fasting. In reality it's an adaptive response - just think, if you were living in a hunter-gatherer society, and you were running out of food, your body is automatically going to kick into highgear mode in order to allow you the energy to get the food you need and accomplish the daily tasks of survival. The hightened mental clarity is an artificial state which cannot be permanently maintained, but which would allow you to keep safe and not make dangerous mistakes in the wild, because starvation generally reduces your mental acuity and body response times, which could be fatal. So the body goes into overdrive trying to compensate to keep you alive. Think of it this way - the increased feeling of energy is not because you actually HAVE extra energy, it's because you are EXPENDING extra energy. Which candle is using up more wick, the one with a tiny pea-sized flame or the one with a huge, tall, bright flame?

I know I will be unpopular among all the fasters and feasters for saying the above, but it's scientific fact. I'm not disputing that fasting/feasting may have health benefits. I'm just saying that it's unfortunate that so many people have interpreted the body's primal physiological, hormonal, chemical response to semi or complete starvation as some sort of spiritual enlightenment or increased sense of wellbeing, which can lead people to do dangerous things with their health.

I've been through it - the high, the mental clarity, the boundless energy, the unbelievably bright mood. It was just my body's survival response. I won't ever do it again. The thing that's frightening is when people get addicted to this high, and fasting becomes almost like a recreational drug as they mess with their body's survival mechanisms, chasing that high again and again.

• Jakkrabbit: This makes sense to me.

I remember reading a book (I believe it was Norman Walker's book: "Colon Health, Key to Vibrant Live") that stated fasting longer than a number of days (might have been 8 days) could have future manifestations of chronic fatigue or bad health many years later in life. (This is all from my memory, btw. I'd have to re-consult the book to make sure I remember correctly). I remember reading documented examples of his findings. The book emphasized that eating a raw food diet with plently of raw juices was essential to good health and preventing this manifestaion of bad health after fasting.

I decided to err on the side of caution since then and have only done short fasts.

I agree with what you are saying, especially the addictive nature of fasting. I would get so addicted to the fast that I wouldn't want to stop because I knew that I would experience that low once I started eating again. Once off the fast I would look forward to the next one. It was like a drug in that sense and I felt very spiritually awakened during that time.

btw, Walker was the maker of the famous juicer, the Norwalk.

• mikevmikev Raw Newbie
    I sleep a maximum of 4 hours a night since going 100% raw 1 year ago. (Feb 3, 2016) I also lost 100+ pounds and healed myself from a variety of disease. If you haven't gone raw, do it! You will love it!!
    janemmzariinka25
  • RequisiteRequisite Raw Newbie

I go to bed about 9pm during work days M-F and get up 4.30-4.50 am. I get up 4 times a night to pee and still get a good night's sleep. Weekends I go to bed later and wake daylight about 8.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I get 7-8 hours of sleep per night. It's right for me and I don't wake up still feeling exhausted anymore. 

• paulinelpaulinel Raw Newbie
    I'm new to raw, but find that I'm in bed earlier and wake up earlier. Im in bed by 21:30 and awake at 04:30. Without an alarm clock.
    ClaireT
  • BibiBibi Raw Jr. Leader

I'm new to raw as well, about a month now, and I noticed that some days I wake before the alarm, which doesn't bother me in the least, beats hitting the snooze button several times and feeling groggy and unrested.  As far as fasting goes, I still need to research it more even though so many people seem to be doing it or discussing it, but for now, I'm thinking "Why starve myself when there is an abundance of delicious healthy food to feed my body?"  And with all of the misinformation out there presented as scientific facts, I know this with 100% certainty: my body is much happier after eating a healthy meal than when I starve it.  As they say, "the proof is in the pudding," and speaking of such, I can't wait to try The Rawtarian's chia seeds pudding recipe. Bon apetit!

ClaireT
  • CatherineRCatherineR Raw Superstar

Used to need a quick nap everyday thanks to my night ninja toddler... now I don't while eating raw. Woohoo! If I need to sleep more I will, and if I require less now then that's cool, too. cool