Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Light period since becoming raw

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Ever since becoming raw about 2.5 months ago I've noticed that period has become much lighter than usual. I'm on the pill so I do still get my period when I have that week with no pills. But it is so light, I could probably wear 1 tampon the entire day (sorry for the graphic details!). Is it normal? Does that mean that if I weren't on the pill I wouldn't get my period at all. I also exercise a lot, but I have been for years, so nothing about that is new. It's not like I lost a hole bunch of weight, maybe 2-3 lbs. I'm 5'4" and weight 121lbs, if that matters. Has anyone gone through the same thing or has an answer to my situation.

Comments

• I've been wondering about this as well. In my case, periods have been tremendously painful and heavy pre-raw and pre-pill...when I started on the pill, my periods were lighter and a touch less painful. Since going raw though (like, almost exclusively raw, only exception is herbal tea) my periods have been mighty scanty to say the least. It is almost like I don't get a period now, and no cramps either (excepting this month, this month I was hurting, but that's really odd...)

so, I think it's normal? I really think though that periods are never "normal," yes? they shift and change and move along with how our bodies are feeling at the time...that sounds really hippie-ish, but it's kind of true. There's a lot of factors involved I understand.

Here's me sounding like I know it all, but for me it's been a lighter more pleasant experience each month since going raw.

Which makes staying raw all the easier:)

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Since going raw, my periods have gone completely. I do high fruit, low fat, but I find when I eat more (raw) fat than usual, I get a very light period back. To my research, even if I don't bleed, I'm still ovulating, so It's fine! (sorry to e so graphic!! XD) There are ways to check, I suggest checking out this really interesting article on periods:

Periods - They may be normal but are they healthy?:

http://debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com/2009/04/periods-they-may-be-normal-but-are-they.html

Hope it helps :)

Matt_Raw
  • Vegan GoddessVegan Goddess Raw Newbie

I study Chinese medicine and your post caught my eye. Traditional Chinese medicine would say that you need to nourish your blood with animal essences like meat and bones, and that during your menses you shouldn't eat too many raw foods. I completely disagree with nourishing the blood with animal essences because I haven't had any problems with my menses while following a strict 100% raw diet. A strict traditional Chinese medical practitioner would probably encourage you to eat organ meats and other cooked meats. (ugh!)

Here's my question: Do you experience cramping abdominal pains that worsen with raw food intake during your periods? I would recommend seeing an actual Acupuncturist/herbologist in person, but there is a possibility that you are experiencing "coldness in the lower jiao," which means that the "cold" raw foods you are taking in may be congealing your blood flow. If this is the case with you, then I'd encourage you to eat cooked grains like quinoa and oatmeal with warming spices like cinnamon and clove with gou qi zi (gou ji berries), which are known for tonifiying the body's yin, blood and qi, dates (which in Middle Eastern medicine also tonify the blood). You could look online for good "congee" recipes....congee is a traditional Chinese porridge that can be prepared either sweet or savory.

The reason why I recommend seeing an acupuncturist is because there are sooooo many reasons why you may be having lighter periods and it would be VERY negligent for me to advise you based on the limited information from your postings without even taking your tongue, pulse or meeting you in person. I just thought you might be interested in an Chinese medical perspective on your issue, combined with the raw vegan diet's possible effects on your body.

Keep us posted on your progress!! And keep shining on.

Blessings,

Raw Goddess Siham

Matt_Rawayjayrose
  • swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

It's typical for women on high fruit, low fat to have very light periods or none at all.

ajchanter, I'm in the same boat...I no longer bleed. For a few days every month I feel a slight sensation in my lower abdomen (not painful at all) and my discharge is thicker. TMI, I know. ;)

I used to have absolutely horrible menstrual cramps and heavy flows. The worst was the pain in my lower back...so glad that's gone!

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Vegan Goddess - thank you so much for your input. I don't get cramping at all during my period, maybe 2 weeks before for a few days. But I'm on the pill, so that's why I'm a little confused. Aren't "pill periods" fake periods, because the blood is stimulated by the lack of birth control hormones, rather than it being a "normal" period?

I'm going to wait until my next period or next 2 periods to see if it keeps on happening before seeing someone about it, but thank you very much for your help.

swayze - do you know why women on a high fruit/low fat diet bleed less or not all? Is it because of the lack of fat in the diet? Will it affect my fertility?

Personally, I believe that women are not supposed to bleed (or should bleed very little). Humans and domesticated wolves are the only animals that regularly bleed. I believe this blood loss is due to our over processed diets and sedentary (yet over stimulating lifestyles).

A great book on menstruation is The Physiological Enigma of Woman by Raymonnd Bernard

Swayze

goddesslove
  • Hi AVL,

I don't have any answers, but I am having a similar experience. Since starting raw, I've had one very light period and one that I wouldn't even consider a period, just light spotting. I am not on the pill though; I use fertility awareness / Natural family planning for birth control, so I am tracking my temperatures and fluids.

I'm actually really confused about what's going on with my cycles lately. I stopped taking birth control pills about a year and a half ago. When I started eating raw, my basal temperature was pretty low (96.7 - 97.3 F). I thought this might be due to vitamin/mineral deficiencies and I've tried to address those, it seems successfully because it has since come up, although it's still on the low side. I'm having a lot of trouble being able to tell if I'm even ovulating, because my temperature goes up for a few days but then goes back down again. It's starting to worry me!

So that was kind of a tangent, but I can say that from my message-board research on this question it seems to be a fairly common experience to have light/no period on the raw diet. I've read several possible explanations but none that have completely satisfied me. I'm very interested in any information others can share!

• Swayze, I've heard that too.

I have seen a definite improvement in my menses when i am really good about maintaining high raw. I also find that using tampons makes my cramps MUCH worse. So I try to never use them unless I have to (like in yoga class)

• i also sometimes have no period, or have a very light one. i did some blood work at a conventional doctor's and it looks like i'm not deficient in anything (no period can mean you are lacking iron) and whatnot. i wouldn't worry about it too much

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

Swayze,i did a 48 days water fasting last week ,and been trying a raw diet,i was suppose to get my period on the 31 and today iis the 3rd. I took a preg test last night and was negative(my heart was pounding soo hard). Then i got very worry. Now that i read your comments here about getting light if not none period i feel buch better. But is that something bad? i though i might have anemia,not sure. I was all me life 28 days to get my period. First time ever missing it and not preg. I also have a thyroid condition over a yr already but this never happend before. So how long is been sinmce you have your period?? just curious... i want to have my period!!!!! lol I am drinking lots of carrot juice with beet this morning and lot's of fluid. I think i got lit dehydrated with the fasting. I also did the epson salt water clean. =-)

First, I want to say that light blood flow is not always a sign of anemia. I was anemic for years and yet my flows were always extremely heavy and painful.

Second, a woman's period can end for many reasons, good and bad. For me, I know that when I eat correctly, exercise, and take overall good care of myself, I do not bleed or experience any pain during that time of the month. It is only when I, say, eat cooked foods, that it all comes "flooding" back...sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

I believe the last time I bled was 5 or 6 months ago.

Swayze

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Malchusmom, since you were just on a fast, you probably didn't miss your period. When I was on a 10-day cleanse after 2 months of raw, my cycle went from a normal 28-day cycle to 45+ day cycle (maybe it was a 50-day cycle). I was really confused when my cycle didn't start after day 30. I had been tracking my basal temperature so I knew I had already ovulated (strangely, that day did not change). So, it's possible you will just have a long cycle this time. Things went back to normal for me after my "50-day" cycle.

I'm not 100% raw, but I've noticed that fasting or eating raw foods affects the cycle... it either comes early or comes later... depending.

• Menses is simply our body's way of detoxing. The healthier and closer to raw you are, the less your body needs to detoxify itself.

At least thats what I read in The Living Food Factor by Susan Schenk.

So, if thats how women detox, do men have the same thing? Like a release of toxons? Oh, I think I just answered my own question....

• Funny question about this. When I started being raw in january of 2009, my periods went very light too. I was just wondering this: If I'm planning to be pregnant next year, will this be a problem?

I mean: by not having my period, Im I not having my ovulation? Or is there no links between them?

THanks!

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

O.k., weird. I really craved meat Saturday night, did give in, and I started Sunday night which explains, according to chinese medicine why I craved it. Of late as I was abit anemic and as I am new at this, and am unable to digest nuts all that well, gave in. But what was weird, I am on "day 1" (Usually quite dreaded as I flow heavy, and loose a day OF MY LIFE :() and was light until I had some cocoa/chocolate. weird, it wasn't the meat, but chocolate. I know it causes fibroids. weird.

• So glad I found this site and this thread today, as I have been struggling with this same out-of-balance menses issue. I believe that we as womyn are supposed to bleed! If we are not, then we are not in a state of balance. While I agree that heavier flows are produced for different reasons, I don't believe that over processed foods are the only culprit. I have been vegetarian for 19 years, vegan for 8, raw for 4 and this year has been the first that I have experienced such a marked change in my cycle. Certainly may be age (I am 37) and my recent juice fast. I am considering becoming pregnant with my second child and this concerns me. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Peace to all

PS...I am going to check out the article suggested by ajchanter

• Fonky, having your period doesn't always mean you've had an ovulation. But if you're willing to invest a few minutes everyday, that's something you can learn to check out yourself! When you follow the concept of "natural family planing" you get to know your body by taking your temperature every morning before getting out of bed. (most women have a slight increase in their normal body temperature just after ovulation) and other signs of your body. (Ovulation/Cervical Mucus). Sorry to be graphic. =)

Read more about natural family planing here: http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/bbt/bbtfaq.html

or use google! good luck becoming pregnant!

• I'm having lighter periods, too. And my diet isn't low fat in the least. I think it's pretty nice not bleeding like a horror movie every month.

• GulayG1rlGulayG1rl Raw Jr. Superstar

My period is light but I also still feel sleepy when it comes around. I so want a massage, but the massage therapists here have been trained to decline clients who are on their period :( :( :( They claim it is supposed to increase flow. I told my chiropractor about this and he said to go ahead with the period anyway. 

Which is which?