Nut butter questions!

I have got another question about nut butter!!! 1) Is it better to soak nuts and dehydrate them afterwards before making nut butter. 2) Also, in case of peanut butter and almond, is it better to buy them in skin or already hultered? 3) If they’re better to be bought in skin do I need to remove it somehow before making butter? 4) And how long can it be stored in a glass jar in a fridge?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

1. Always better to soak first, removes the enzyme inhibitors. 2. Don’t get blanched almonds, those are removed with boiling water. Better with the skin. 3. I don’t think it’s necessary to remove the skin, they’re just as good with it on. That does refer to almonds, I’m not sure about peanuts but those aren’t really nuts anyway, and personally I don’t think they’re very healthy. I’m not sure about the last question.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

4) You can store prepared raw, living foods (non-dehydrated) for up to 4 days. You can tell by the taste if it’s gone bad. So, I am sure this applies to living nut-butters as well.

• you should soak and dehydrate before turning into nut butter..it will keep in a glass jar for a month..chefraw.com

• Thanks chefraw! I was wondering about that too!

Hey, that’s a great idea! I didn’t think to store dehydrated nut butter. Mmmmm… a “roasted” kind of raw nut butter. Thanks chefraw16.

• Thanks everyone for the information! So… the peanut butter isn’t any good? I like it sooo much :(

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Oh I don’t mean to make anyone feel bad for what they like… I used to LOVE all natural peanut butter, but when I started cleaning out my diet, it was the first thing to go (waaay before going raw). The problem with them is that a. they’re not really nuts, they’re legumes, and not very digestible unless cooked and b. the way they’re stored creates a lot of mold contamination. You can get wild jungle peanuts from David Wolfe’s site, those are not fungusy and would be better… Or you can just enjoy your raw peanuts and not worry about my rants and raves.

Peanut Butter: Daria, we bought this raw Sunflower butter from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. (it is not raw-living)... and it’s the closes to peanut butter that I’ve come to. Maybe you can try making it raw & living.