Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

nut milk (lack of almonds)

elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

so since almonds aren’t raw anymore (they were mandatorily pasteurized as of september 1st of this year, even the ones labeled raw), does anybody know of a nut milk that tastes similar to almond and can be used in recipes that call for almond milk? also, same goes for pie crusts and whatnot…what nut would be good to put in a pie crust besides almonds? thanks

Comments

• shele24shele24 Raw Newbie

Cashews work well.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

hazelnuts work well for crusts, and milks. Also pecans and walnuts.

• Banana milk is great!

• I talked to the folks at my coop here in Duluth and apparently anything that was packaged before Sept 1 and is raw is still raw…so you can still trust it, just as an FYI. I really love cashews, personally. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

sunflower seed milk is amazing. Young coconut milk too. Also hemp seed milk, sesame seed milk, mmm

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Sunflower seed milk is my favorite but it is very hight in calorie . Maybe sesame seed is the best one.

• I made macadamia milk the other day because I was out of everything else. It tasted great! but I was disappointed that I blended it too much and didn’t have anything left to strain out. That and they are a little too expensive for me to use as just milk. I made a chocolate milk with a couple drops of coffee flavoring and whipped it up nice and frothy. Reminded me of the iced latte I used to live on!

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

Even though it doesn’t taste like almond milk, sesame seed milk is one of my favorites. I love it even on it’s own! And I find it subs well for almond milk in shakes and with raw cereals. It’s just a different taste. Just make sure you rinse the sesame seeds several times after soaking (til the water runs clear), because that helps to get rid of the slightly bitter taste. (I didn’t like it as much the first time I made it, because I made the mistake of not rinsing the seeds enough, and this caused the milk to be bitter.) You can also add a date or two when you blend the milk, but I find that to be too sweet for me.