Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Disturbing Craving...

kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Hi, I’ve been having a craving that I have been ignoring for months but recently its just absorbing my mind.. I have the urge to eat raw fish… i just want to go into the ocean and get a fish and like eat it like that i’m not even kidding. It bothers me because I haven’t eaten any kind of meat for about 8 years for compassionate reasons, so for me to have this kind of feeling really disturbs me. Its funny because even when i ate meat I always hated fish. Can anyone tell me what exactly might be in raw fish that I might be missing and if there are any other sources to get that? please help me before i do something i’ll regret!!

And while I’m at it, I have another question; Has anyone experienced blurry eyes after going raw? I find that after I eat totally raw my eyesight occasionally temporarily gets hazy and can’t focus. Do the eyes detox too or something?

Comments

• That is a good question..perhaps your body may be craving Omega 3 fatty acids. Flax Oil contains ALA (an Omega 3 precursor) which most people can convert into EPA and DHA, but sometimes this does not happen as efficiently in some people. Walnuts may be another good alternative, as they are a good source of ALA. Regarding the blurry vision, I wouldn’t wait for to long to figure out the cause and go to a Doctor soon if that doesn’t clear up. Cheers.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

detox for most can be one horrible experience! But always remember the saying “It only gets worse before it will get better.” OK , so you are craving something that tastes fishy. I would supplement with some sea weed such as dulse or kelp. These both have a fish-like taste and are packed with minerals which are not found on land. Try making some mock type fish recipe (many on the web and on this site) and use a good amount of sea veggies. This should calm your cravings down quite a bit. And about your eyes. When your body detoxes, your entire body is going to detox. Your eyes are probably emitting more mucus trying to get rid of toxins. Most people think that mucus is such a bad thing, but it is mucus which is resposible for the removal of toxins. It literally traps toxins and expels them though the eyes, mouth, nose, and from down below :). Now excess or discolored mucus is not a good thing, but ovetime your body will rid themselves of it. I also have to ask, what kinds of foods you are eating right now. Some of the foods that you are consuming may not agree with your particular dosha (body type). Get back to me whenever you can, I am very willing to help you out and offer some more suggestions to aid you with your discomforts.

• I agree with the aboved posts, you might also want to think about B12, since you’ve have been vegetarian for so long.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&...

That’s the nutritional profile of salmon for some idea of what’s “in” fish. Also another thing that you might want to think about is selenium, it seems to come primarily from fish, although crimini mushrooms, sunflower seeds, and spinach are good sources too.

As for the blurriness… I don’t know what could be causing it…hopefull its just some detox and your eyesight will get 100x better soon :D

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The only reason people think fish is healthy is because of the sea weed they eat which has those omegas in it. Like Humanimal said, If I were you I’d make up some sea weed rich mock salmon pate or mock tuna, shape it into a fish shape and eat it! Or go for a wander through a fish market, it is so gross it might help to put you off.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

wow thanks everyone. I think that would be a good idea to try to incorporate some kind of sea veggie, because come to think of it I don’t use anything from the sea except sea salt for my everyday meals. I mostly eat fruits and nuts and occasionally a salad with the only greens being lettuce and spinach. Is Kale from the sea? not that i use it i just heard about it and was wondering. I still have this package of dried seaweed from when I used to make miso soup, is that considered raw?

those are some interesting mock recipes but its actually not the fishy taste i’m craving, i don’t even really remember what fish tastes like, and i’ve never had raw fish in my life… it disturbed me because my craving was to go into the ocean, get a fish, and eat it ..!! maybe its more like some kind of barbaric urge i don’t know. thanks for the suggestion Zoe, I think i will confront it by going to a fish market to get grossed out.

And thanks for the help with my eyes, I don’t think I’ll worry about it because i think as Humanimal was saying, its just that theres mucous in my eyes. Detoxing is so weird.

Humanimal, how do you figure out what dosha you are?

if theres anything else in fish let me know!!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Im glad that you asked :) Here is a guide to accurately determine your dosha.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I agree with all things said above…Love the idea of going to a fish market…LOL! One thing not mentioned was the iodine found in fish. It helps the thyroid, and one of the not so common symptoms of thyroid issues is blurry vision. So, somthing to think about. I would try adding alot of sea veggies into your diet, and perhaps a kelp supplement to see if the blurry vision goes away. Another thought is that if it is not a thyroid issue, maybe your vision is actually getting better from the raw foods! Cool!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hi Kundalalita. Cravings can be so weird! The strangest thing I’ve encountered is having really strong urges to grab handfuls of vegetation and eat them, like when I’m out walking or in the woods. Ferns look especially yummy to me, guess it’s the vibrant green color. Either that or I’m turning into a cow. Hehehe!

Humanimal, I’d love to check out the doshas too! But you didn’t post the link. ;o)

Love,

Jen

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I also agree with all of the above. Since you eat mostly fruit you may be deficient in several things. If you could incorporate more veggies-especially greens- into your diet I think it would be helpful.Juicing would probably be a good way to start because you could mix the veggie juice with some fruit juice.My cravings are unfortunately not as healthy as the others and I have been giving into them way too often of late.I’ll use a handful of parsley, 2 or 3 kale or collard leaves, 4 or 5 deep green romaine leaves, 2 or 3 celery stalks,a cucumber or zuke and 2 cups spinach. Sea veggies are the best source of iodine as spiritedmama said. If you tested significantly deficient there are some very good iodine supplements available through naturopaths or nutritionists.

hmm and here i thought my fish cravings and blurry vision were unrelated! isn’t iodine in most salt? my hazy eyes issue doesnt seem persistent enough to be serious, i wouldn’t be able to measure it cuz it comes and goes on its own, but i’ll definitely think about that, my diet does seem to lack those things that would have iodine…

well i had some kelp/ seaweed salad and i already definitely dont feel as desperate as before so hoping that will take care of it. The only way i could get kelp ‘noodles’ though was to buy this pre-packaged raw food dish… they didn’t seem to carry it in any section of the store themselves… does anyone know a good place to get kelp? does it usually come in noodles or does it come dry or..??

juicing vegetables sounds good…actually it sounds gross, lol! i don’t even makes smoothies… i heard it creates a bigger concentration of sugar which can make you diabetic even on this kind of diet.

jenergy, lol! i’ll know how to spot you if i ever go hiking in you area! that reminds me of how sometimes guys will find their pregnant wives eating soil in the backyard because they are craving it so much due to lack of minerals or something.

well thanks again and in the meantime i think i’ll take a stroll on the beach and eat whatever i find.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

So, is your blurry vision in one area of your eye? Is it in both eyes? How long does it last? 20 minutes? Just wondering… maybe it is only an “eye headache”.

hey germin8,

lol, eyes get headaches?

the blurriness is very slight and random. often i dont even notice it until i’m trying to focus on something like tv, it actually almost only happens when i’m looking at a tv or the computer screen. it lasts for maybe 5-20 minutes, maybe once or twice a week. its in both eyes, but it doesn’t feel like its in my eyeball, my eyes don’t really strain. it feels like trying to look through a dirty windshield. you know how when you have a dirty windshield on a car and theres like a light shining on it and its hard to see and you have to really pay attention and focus on the lanes more so you dont crash but its not cuz ur windshield is out of focus its just really Hazy..

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Let’s see if I can describe it more: Is it a point in your peripheral vision that gets blurry… it almost seems like its moving, but it remains in the same spot… then it grows into a crescent. It is seen in both eyes, but goes away in 20 minutes. And, sometimes it is accompanied by a dull pain behind one eye.

That’s an eye headache… at least that is what I was told. I used to get them (rare), but haven’t had one in a while… I’ve been relaxing my eyes by focusing on distant objects more often. I work in front of a computer all day so I actually have to remind myself to look away from the computer. That reminds me… I should look out my window more often… ahhh, beautiful overcast, cool day here in Northern Virginia. Thanks for the reminder.

• I’ve been craving sweets for the last few days now.. horribly. Even dense things, like dates, larabars, coconut, almond butter.. bananas etc etc. I must end this! Any advice? I simply can’t keep giving into this.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Hi MangoWoman-Could this be related to your cycle? I, too, suffer from horrible cravings-mostly for sugar, but sometimes salty stuff like pizza or chips. I finally managed to go 100% raw on 9/19 and things got a lot better but I still find myself going for alot of nuts and honey and raw cocoa concoctions. I haven’t been counting calories as usual, but I know it is probably too high,plus I’m not able to walk as much as I used to. I am currently reading Green for Life by V. Boutenko and she found herself in the same situation with eating too heavy (many nuts, alot of oils) and grazing alot all evening but not feeling satisfied. Long story short-she dramatically upped her greens intake by using smoothies. I’m only on page 51, but what a revelation! I’m going to add more green smoothies int the diet and see if I can’t get a handle on the fat intake. It took about a month of “erratic” smoothie intake to really notice the benefits. Hope this helps.