Moving to Korea

Hi goodpeople; shortly relocating to South Korea for work, and keen for some kind of low-down on the availability of things like sprouting grains, wheat grains etc, as well as what to expect to pay for fruit and vegetables (outside Seoul); are there many raw fooders out there, or any groups i can join? Thanks!

Comments

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

hi there. my sister just moved to S korea (pusan) for work a few months ago and while not raw, she is very health conscious. 

good luck!

• HI! I just moved back from Korea where I lived for 15 months, teaching. Unfortunately, fruit is extremely expensive in Korea, and it is not easy to find organic. The readily available fruit is very high in pesticides especially the apples. You can only get a couple of fruits at a time because they only provide what is in season, so outside of the season for something, it is hard to find, or poor quality and plus even more expensive. I was not in Seoul, so maybe it is easier to find organic there. Bananas are pretty cheap. Mangoes are hard to find, and papayas. No coconuts, dates, or anything exotic. Watermelons are about $12 average. Absolutely no raw nuts, at least not that I found. Now the good news, which is that Korea has the most fabulous greens I have every seen anywhere I have been. They are all baby greens, and most stores have a buffet of about 12 kinds of greens. Larger stores have about 20 kinds of greens and 10 kinds of sprouts, all there on a bar. You just pack it all together in a bag, mix and match, do whatever, and they just weigh it for you right there. So, definately, if you want to stay raw and live in Korea for a long time, you should take your raw seeds and nuts with you. Blenders and food processors are really expensive there, unless you can find a used one. There are a couple of restaurants owned by Buddhist monks that are vegetarian, though expensive, but most other restaurants cook with meat broth or fish broth, so even if you are a cooked vegan, you have to watch out. Koreans have the second longest life-span in the world after Japan, so they must be doing something right, but vegetarianism sure isn’t it!! Hope this helps!!

• Thanks guys-you’ve been very helpful. And Blujett8-thanks -we’ve got your sis’s e-mail and we’re going to ask her for some advice.

• sabriya, where did you get your information about longevity in Korea? I looked it up and Korea is nowhere near the top. Many other countries have much higher life expectancy rates than Korea. Some examples are: Jamaica, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Libya, Panama, Cuba, Sweden, Singapore, the list goes on and on. In fact the country with the highest life expectancy is Andorra, second is San Marino, third is Japan. It’s all here: http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042…

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Some groups of people with the longest life span (according to one study) are the Okinawans (Japan), Sardinians (Italy), and Seventh-day Adventist (Loma Linda, CA).

Nov 2005 National Geographic articles: http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0511/fea… http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0511/sig…

I posted this before… but, I wanted to post it again. :o)

• SocaL, I got that from one of our school lessons in Korea. Now, it makes me wonder if it was just a bit of propaganda, since the book was produced in Korea. It said Japan first and Korea/Hong Kong second. Well, be it true or not, you will be pleasantly surprised when you get there Chella, because you will see elderly people display physical feats that elderly in the US would never dream of doing. I can’t tell you how many little old ladies I saw high tailing it out of the way of rampaging traffic!

• I think Koreans have an issue with the Japanese. No offense to anyone here but I have met Koreans in the past who said they were Japanese. After I learned a few Japanese words I was able to say a few phrases to them and that proved they were not Japanese, finally they admitted to being Korean.