Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Which MANDOLIN do you use?

rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

What name brand mandolin does everybody use that makes paper thin slices???

Comments

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

That is so funny you should ask. Literally one minute ago, i was thinking that i really need to find one that is safe, effective, adjustable, feature full, and easy. I have used several and a couple of them have been so dangerous I have gotten rid of them. (I really did a job on one of my fingers a couple of years ago.) But i absolutely love to eat linguine- cut zucchini and the easiest way to do it is to use a vegetable peeler. But, it is sooooo time consuming. So i want to find one that fits my criteria and I want one now!

• I love my kitchen aid mandolin! safe, effective, easy to clean…

• the kyocera hand held..the blade is made of ceramic and is very strong..i use this $25 one more than my expensive steel one..i think you can find them online or at Sur La Table or just google it. chefraw.com

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I use a Spirializer (sp?) that I got from Target online a few years ago. Not really a mandoline but I find I don’t need a separate mandoline with this thing. It makes all sizes of pasta and thin slices that are perfect for making raw potatoe chips.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-9/qid=1189381909/ref=sr_1_9/602-5177629-4042209?ie=UTF8&asin=B0007Y9WHQ”;

Sorry I had to put the link in quotes – it is too long to work otherwise.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

chefraw16…how thin can the kyocera hand held slice? Could you please tell me the full name of the mandolin you like, if you have time? I want to make sure I am buying the correct one…

queenfluff, I have one of those and LOVE it, but I need thinner slices…making those yam chips but they don’t get crunchy, just a tad too thick.

Thanks everyone :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hi rawmama,

I have made the veggie chips with it before and my chips turn out really crispy when I use the spirializer to slice. I use the blade with out the graters on it. Maybe you need to dehydrate longer?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I have the cuisinart steel one. I had a plastic one but it just wont cut the hard veggies. I haven’t had the steel one very long so all I’ve used it for so far is radishes. It’ll get those paper thin. I haven’t used it for sweet potatoes yet but I have high hopes.

• I have an Oxo Mandoline and i love it. I think i picked it up at Bed Bath & Beyond. I also got a professional grade stainless steel one, and i hate it.

• after doing much research on this I went out and purchased the OXO good grip madolin and I LOVE IT. I have had many in the past and was fed up with them sucking so bad, ha… when you check some sites online you will see that the good grips one is by far the best for the price ($70) infact, some people think its better than their professional grade one. I picked mine up at linen n’things.

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

I have the OXO good grip mandolin, & I hate it – it really doesn’t live up to its name. The hand grip has spikes at the bottom to hold on to the veg, & this just mangles soft veg like courgettes instead of holding on to them.

• I have had the oxo one at one point also,but it didn’t get my butternut squash thin enough for my ravioli’s. the kyocera mandolin cuts really thin..chefraw.com

Hey Peaches. How safe/secure if the guard on the kyocera? i have sliced my finger on a mandolin before and am really paranoid. i want one that really grips the veggies and doesn’t slide off.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

chefraw16…is this the model of mandolin you are using?

http://www.mingspantry.com/kyadcemaslbl.html

Another interesting tool? http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/blog/2007/0…

i just found this link in case anyone is interested in mandolin options.http://www.creativecookware.com/stainless_mando…

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I use the Matfer Mandoline (I think it’s the 2000S), made in France. It’s terrific, slices very thin and I feel very safe using it. Easy to clean, too.

Kristen Suzanne