Buying Coconuts

Hi, Does anyone buy coconuts from your local grocery store, natural food store, etc.? I always see buy young, green coconuts but do they appear green in the store or is that something you see when they are picked and that is removed? Yes, I am clueless about coconuts…any help appreciated. I would like to buy one fresh and crack it open for the juice and meat. I see some in Stop and Shop and a few other stores, small and brown and just found a site out of FL that will ship them. Thanks, cajcookie

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I always buy mine from Whole Foods and Wild Oats. They are white with a pointed top and a flat bottom (sometimes referred to as young thai coconuts or young coconuts). To break it open, turn it on it’s side, shave off (with a knife) some of the husk around the pointed end). Then, turn it back onto it’s base (the bottom) and use a heavy knife (cleaver or machete).....use a corner of it, bottom side, by the handle and gently hit it into the coconut top for three or four spots around the top point of the coconut (gosh, I hope this makes sense) BE CAREFUL!!! Then, the top of the coconut kind of pops open a little and you can pry it off gently. Pour out the coconut water and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Hope this helps! Cheers!

Chef Kristen Suzanne

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

hey cajcookie here’s a cool vid illustrating kristen’s instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJJZuf2Voc&mode…