Detox, juice fasting

rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Hi Guys, I am driving myself nuts on what I should do first, a detox or juice fasting, I want to rid my body of toxins, but I don’t think I am quite ready for a serious detox yet, and since I have started excercising (free weights) and I don’t want to stop, so I know my body would not handle a heavy detox at this time, so I thought a juice fast would be better….

MY question is since I am working out, is it ok to do a juice fast at the same time? I will be taking in lots of greens and some fruit, mainly citrus, do you think I need to take a protein shake in too? I know it’s not raw (whey protein) but I am afraid that I will lose too much muscle.

Any tips?

Comments

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Oh, found out whey protein is no good for you. I found a great website for hemp protein powder (organic) at a great price, 16 oz. for around $10.00 it is the Nutiva brand.http://www.livingnutritionals.com/index.php?cPa…

I will order some and use that. What do I do will all the whey I have, geeze!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

If the detox gets too tough to handle, eating very light raw foods should slow it down—a piece of fruit or a light salad or a green smoothie. Then when you feel better, go back to juice. You should be able to do this for a while so your body can slowly detox.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I forgot! Check ot some of the old posts for protein requirement. There is some good info and some good links. I get The Daily Raw Inspiration from Jingee Talifero (sp?) from thegardendiet.com and her husband Storm is a raw vegan bodybuilder and addresses this issue in one of their e-books and in a recent interview. I haven’t read them yet but you could check that out too

• what is your diet like wright now, do you eat meat or dairy if so you might not want to go straight to a fast, start slowly by taking certain things out of your diet.If your body is very toxic you can have violent reaction to fasting even juice fasting. you mentioned that you had been taking whey powder thats why I’m wondering and no matter what you tend to loose weight when you fast

• I agree with Tree Ear. When I dexoted for the first time in 2002, I already was vegan. I have followed the Natural Hygiene course from Fitforlife.com. I was very well informed and I knew what kind of things to expect. I was waiting for my distiller water machine, since in NL I cannot find distilled water anywhere. So, I needed distilled water to go water fasting. This gave me 6 weeks to detox only in fruits. For six weeks, I did 3 fruits meals, the first one always was a large glass of citrus juice. I did squeezed it with a large opening in the machine, so the pulp of the fruit made it into the juice. I experimented no violent reactions at all. I always had problems in my skin face and skull, this got worst for the first two weeks and then they cleared out completely. I never cheated durig those 6 weeks. By the time I started my first water fast, I was so clean, that I could fast for about 5 days. I did get very weak, expected, during water fast. The first 36 hours I did not have to be all day in bed, after that, I stayed in bed since water fast is pshycological, fysiological, spiritual, mental, etc. rest. You do need to water-fast, at least that is my opinion and the opinion of those of the Natural Hygiene school, in order to give a rest to your digestive track. Juice and fruits still are food and you digestive track will have to work to break this down, with water it is not the case. If you still are eating animal products, specially meat and you are not going having intestinal movement everyday, I would not advice you to go water-fasting. You should remove all animal products of your diet first, then go completely raw, then only fruits. take about 4 weeks for this, and maybe you can water-fast after 6 weeks of detox, if you are interesting in water-fasting. If so, you could first fast for 24 hours, and then 36 and 48 hours. I would advice you to read about water-fast in the internet first, so you could get informed before doing this.

• Question for jirizarry! how much fruit did you include in your meals a day and how many ounces of juice for breakfast?

• Well, let me think, since I ate according to how hungry I was. I did follow a basic rule, 3 times a day, not more. I also did not eat earlier than 10.00 am and not later than 7:00 pm. Fortunately, I was staying at home, not working, at that time. Incidentaly, the reason I started all this raw movement was because of health, I all I got, went away including chronish fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. My long lasting intestine problems also went away. My sking issues whent away, but of course, after the fast I never went back to eat again the way I ate, the quantities I eat, and the hours I ate. I did not conciously determine that. My body created a new routine. So, back to your question. Do you ever have been to Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe? Do you know the Huracaine glasses or shake glasses from those places? They are very large. That was my breakfast between 10-12 am. The first thing I did was to walk, run, or bike, some cardio. Then I came home, streached and/or did some yoga and then I drank the juice. Usually, I would have the juice at 12.00 pm. Then, I would eat a large fruit salad (raw and whole, no condiments, no processing, nothing) around 3:00 or 3:30. For example, 4 kiwis, 2 red rubby grapefruits, 1/2 pineapple, and more until satisfied, but not stuffed. One important point is not to eat concentrated fruits like bananas, dates, mangos, papayas or dried fruits. You should be eating fruits with high water content because this helps the detox and the weight lost. You should be juice fasting for detox, which will automtically lead to some weight lost, but not for lossing weight! It should be for health, first. Then, around 6:30 pm, I would make another large fruit salad like for example grapes, oranges, mandarins, prunes, etc. Under no circumstances I would eat again until next day. At first, it takes a lot of will power and mental preparation. Later, the body gets use to it and begins doing its own routine, You are reprogramming the way you eat, what you eat, the time you eat and the quantity you eat. After that, I could never eat so much again and my eating times are usually 12pm, 3.30pm and 6.30 pm, that is when my body asks for food. I do now have some smal snacks, of course. Also, very important, after detox and water-fast, your stomach will shrink. It will not be able to hold so much food as before. In my case, because I used to eat three times more I needed in each sitting, without knowing it, it shrinked a lot.

• rawmaidenrawmaiden Raw Newbie

Wow, thanks everyone for their great advice. I will have to take it slow since I have been using whey protein and do eat organic milk and cheese which I plan on taking out of my diet anyway, and on occasion I do eat some fish.

So I guess I will do what you guys say. I will slowly take away the bad and add more raw and then I can think about the detox. Yeah, I don’t want to have any violent or bad side affects if I just jump into it. What would we all do without each other on goneraw??? I will keep you posted on my progress : )

• Good luck.

• Thanks for the info jirizarry! I too am transitioning to raw for health reasons. My blood pressure is high normal and im only 21. I’ve been vegetarian/vegan for about 2 months lost about 45 pounds before i became veg but need to lose alot more. Im doing a 30 challenge starting today(my boyfriend and mom are doing it too!!) but have decided to extend it for many reasons. Just wanna be healthy and live long. Your info has really helped. Thanx