Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chips!!????

Hi Has anyone had super good luck making chips? I have made some but I had the timer on the dehydrator and it turned off and I didn’t get them out for a few hours so I don’t know if they softened up or not. I also was wondering the best way to slice. I had a mandoline but took it back because it didn’t get things thin enough. My potato peeler seems not strong enough to peel a sweet potato. Has anyone used a cuisinart?I was wondering if pounding the slices would soften them up and make more surface area to make them easier to eat as well. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

what sort of chips are you making? Sounds like veggie?

I have one of those spiriloo thingies and all my veggie chips (potateo and others) turn out great because it gets the slices chip thin. The pieces always shrink up though I don’t think pounding them will make a difference.

• Hi Queenfluff! So when you bite into them do they break easily? did you “shake and bake?” i haven’t tried spirooli yet- just cut with a knife..i made sweet potato chips!

Yes, if I dehydrate them long enough and they are sliced thin enough- they get crunchy and break easily like chips.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hi Queenfluff, I have one too (Spirooli …. yep, the type you can now get from target.com I think it’s called the veggie slicer), but mine don’t get crispy, they are a little chewy, delicious, but still chewy/tough (at least that’s with the yam chips from this site). Is there a trick to getting them crispy? I doubled the amount of dehydrating time, didn’t use as much oil as specified, and when cutting with the spirooli, I didn’t push hard when cutting so they’d get thinner, but they still weren’t crispy…maybe that’s because I used yams? Didn’t stop me from eating them all though HAHAHAHAHA :)

What temp did you use? Maybe I’m too low…I did around 107-110

Hi rawmama,

I have never dehydrated yams before. I do potatoe chips and other chips (like corn chips). There are certain vegetables that will never dehydrate really crispy – zucchini is one – I don’t know if yams are supposed to be one too but I don’t think so because I know people make the crispy yam chips before.

When I do my potatoe chips, I use that blade with out the graters on it (the flat one) and I marinate my slices in ACV (this is because I am making vinegar and salt chips) and I dehydrate until they get really crispy. That could take two days. I use 110 as my temp. I actually push a little when I turn the spirooli. For the yam chip recipe on this site, it looks like Kandace used 115 for 12 hours so maybe follow that.

What kind of dehydrator do you have? I have a Sausage Maker which is a very good dehydrator – it is better than the Excalibur for air ciruculation, power etc. One thing I do is I don’t use Telflex sheets – moslty because my dehydrator didn’t come with them. I use natural wax paper and spray it with olive oil and put my items on that (if your items have oil on them already you can skip spraying the wax paper) than once they are on the drier side, I remove the wax paper and they just sit on the stainless steel racks (the SausageMaker racks have larger holes in them than the plastic white racks of the Excalibur so more air gets through – they are more like oven racks). So, don’t know if my dehydrator makes a difference or not but it might but I don’t know what sort you have. The more circulation your items get the better.

have you tried using a cheese slicer to make your slices? It might take longer but you will have more control over making super thin slices. Might be worth a try.

Another tip I can think of is don’t pour the oil over the chips as suggested and just spray a light spray of oil on the items after you put them in the dehydrator (if you want an oily feel to the chips). I have a thingy called a Misto Olive oil sprayer – you can buy at like Bed,Bath and Beyond. It comes in very handy and I use it alot. :)

Or you can try brushing the items lightly with oil with a pastry brush or baster brush.

• Hi Queen fluff! Thanks for all of the info. I want to get one of those mistos!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Thanks for the tips! I am going to try the mistos too next time. The funny thing is…now I sort of like the rubberiness of the yam chips, they sort of grew on me :) They taste like jerky in texture so it takes me longer to eat them, you have to chew more which you taste more of the spicy flavor, and I don’t gulp them down…

I DID discover that the Saladaco does a much thinner chip than the Spirooli. A potato peeler does a nice thin one too, but now that I’d had them thin and a thinner, I sort of like them better just slightly thin.

I used to have a L’Equip dehydrator, now I have a Cabela’s 12 tray. Both have given me the same results…so the thickness played a big part in how chewy they were (both were chewy, just one more chewy than the next). Now the next test is to try the Misto! :)

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

Eggplants.
    They are amazingly absorbant—will gladly soak up any marinade you put them in for flavoring—and then when dehydrated, they get the funniest dry-spongey texture that is crispy and yet melts in your mouth, sort of the way I recall certain brands of absurdly overprocessed and chemical-ridden “potato”-chips. Just make sure you peel them before you turn them into chips—the skin can sting.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

LFL~ Have you ever tried to dehydrate Japanese eggplant? They are the smaller purple zucchini looking ones. I was wondering if the skin of those would do the same as the bigger ones.

• PamPam

Zucchini makes good chips and you don’t have to slice super thin to get then crispy.