Just wanting to introduce myself

I am so new to raw that most would say; I’m not yet raw, but sure hoping to get there soon. In mid March I had a massive stroke and wound up being medivaced to Anchorage where I spent the next 2 1/2 months at various hospitals. I was finally released in early June, but now I am having trouble walking so I can’t fix meals like I would like. Fortunately, my husband has been fixing the meals but they are typically SAD. I had just learned about eating raw and had bought a couple books when I had the stroke. So, in spirit I am already raw.

I have spent many years studying nutrition and the raw foods diet makes much sense. That is partly why I am upset because I was eating a supposedly great and nutritious diet. Oh well, now is my chance to overcome the effects of the stroke and get on with life. Apparently they didn’t think I would live and then they decided I would never walk. Well, I AM walking with a walker even if it is very slow and painful due to hammer toes. I am going to get something to put in my shoes to help, but there aren’t any here that we have been able to find. A friend of ours is going to send some down from Anchorage.

This looks to be a friendly a place to visit. Hope to get to know you better as time goes onward.

Comments

• Hi Northern Stars! I am so sorry that happened but I know you will prove them wrong! Green smoothies should be pretty easy for you or your husband to make. You should try sprouting- that is a way to get so much really great and really fresh nutrition.

Here is some info from the internet that may be of interest to you: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/aug07/agi…

Both figuratively and literally speaking, walnuts are “brain food.” As Rebecca Wood points out in her “New Foods Encyclopedia,” the walnut looks remarkably like the human brain. “The thin, outer green husk, which is removed before the walnuts are marketed, is likened to the scalp. The walnut’s hard shell is like a skull. The thin envelope inside, with its paper-like partitions between the two halves of the nut, is like the membrane. The convoluted nut itself represents the human brain’s two hemispheres.” Now, you might not like to remember this resemblance while you’re eating a handful of them, but you will want to remember that walnuts are made up of 15 to 20 percent protein and contain linoleic (omega-6 fatty acids) and alpha-linoleic acids (omega-3 fatty acids), vitamin E and vitamin B6, making them an excellent source of nourishment for your nervous system.

Vinpocetine Vinpocetine is derived from vincamine, the major indole alkaloid from the periwinkle plant. Vinpocetine has been used for many years in Europe to enhance memory and mental function. Vinpocetine improves blood supply to the brain, increases oxygen and glucose use by the brain, increases the vasodilation response to hypoxia (oxygen deficiency), and reduces abnormal coagulation of the blood.

An article in the European Journal of Neurology described a study of 30 patients diagnosed with acute ischemic stroke. The National Institute of Health Stroke Scale was marginally (but significantly) better in the group treated with vinpocetine at 3 months. No significant adverse effects were seen. The authors concluded that a full-scale trial of vinpocetine was feasible and warranted (Fegin et al. 2001).

Vinpocetine, derived from Vinca minor (lesser periwinkle), has been used as a prescription medication in Europe and Asia for over 20 years. Vinpocetine selectively increases blood flow to the brain and reduces neuronal excitotoxicity, resulting in improved stroke recovery and stroke preventive benefit. Vinpocetine has been shown to increase memory and cognition, improve intellectual performance, and enhance coordination. It has been shown to improve vision, hearing, and tinnit u i s (ringing in the ears) as well (Subhan et al. 1985; Balestreri et al. 1987; Hindmarch et al. 1991).

• Thank you, that was an interesting article.