DURIAN!!!

i must write about my first experience just now with this fruit. i visited a local asian market to get my coconuts and, a little skeptical i might add, bought the pre-peeled flash frozen durian. just tried it, and i’m hooked! i know its supposed to be an acquired taste but WOW i dont think i’ve ever had something as interesting tasting…you should all try a durian!

Comments

• you’ve got my attention. i’ll keep durians in mind. the repitition of posts helped. :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

sorry! i must have pressed the post button one two many times, heh…

• I love Durian..I used to get the fresh pulp in a cup at an organic market by the beach in Florida…it is delicious! Kind of a combination of vanilla custard and onions..sounds gross but it’s savory, lushes and yummy!!! Sometimes I put the pulp in a blender to make it satin smooth like pudding.

I have a funny story about this fruit…I bought the pulp one day and brought it in to work…30 minutes later the fire department was there because someone said they smelled a strange odor..like sulfur…it turned out to be my Durian. I never told anyone except for a close co-worker…yikes!!!

Buying it frozen and keeping it in my apartment is difficult because it smells up the place..I guess I’ll have to buy a house so I can keep all the Durian I want. I don’t want the fire department showing up at my apartment complex.

Tips: 1. Don’t EVER consume Durian with alcohol 2. Don’t eat with sugars or add to desserts…eat it plain on an empty stomach. 3. Eating Durian may send you on an multidimensional cosmic journey to an alternate universe (ok that maybe be a lie but wouldn’t it be cool?)

• I’ve heard about Durians having an awful smell. But why cant I have it with dessert or alchohol?

• Forestlyone, I love the cosmic jjourney and yes it would be fun! I am tempted to try it even if it does sound totally repulsive!

• If you think the frozen one is good, wait until you go to Thailand and try the fresh one just off the tree! I pigged out on durian for about $1 US a pound for 2 weeks in Thailand. I miss it already.

forrestlyone – that same exact story happened to me. I ate some ‘D’ fruit at work one morning and suddenly the entire floor was exiting the building and complaining of a gas leak. Eventually the facilities department called my desk and I told them what happened. I was warned not to bring it to work again. I prefer to eat it in Thailand anyway. The ones here were either fumigated, frozen or deshelled in Thailand and do not taste as good and smell worse.

• Hi Justbeautiful. Well, it wouldn’t be the end the of world if you ate Durian as part of a dessert, but they are are already high in sugars and really do taste better alone…I found that Durian added to cakes or candies are too rich and not particularly pleasant..I bought these Durian moon cakes from an Asian market and it was too much. They kind of made me sick too. As far as easting Durian with alcohol may indeed be the end of the world..or at least make you have a really bad day. Alcohol may trigger gases found in Durian, causing severe digestive problems and a rise in blood pressure.

SocaL..so funny that you had the same experience..they thought it was a gas leak at our work too. I guess this isn’t so rare.

ambikalee—Try it but don’t even smell it..just eat..chances are you will fall in love with this fruit.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

but I tried to eat it, the smell made me have to hold my nose, which meant I couldn’t taste it either, how can something that smells that bad taste good? I don’t know I have given up on it!

• Durian is not for everybody. Andrew Zimmerm, a chef, food critic and host of the show “Bizarre Foods” has traveled the world and tried thousands of strange and exotic foods (including many bugs, worms and other bizarre foods). He couldn’t take the taste of Durain either..personally I think Durian is exquisite but we all have different tastebuds.