Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

hows the cat? to morning theft

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

MT, hows the cat?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Thank you for asking omshanti! I really appreciate your concern… Well, Matt has been nursing her like a little baby lately, they’ve been bonding like crazy. She seems to be doing well, though the skin around her ears is still very yellow (jaundiced). Matt has been feeding her a mixture of beef, raw eggs, olive oil and eggshells. She won’t eat so we force it down (I know, but there’s no choice). She passed a few HUGE hairballs so that might explain why she wouldn’t eat in the first place. (I came home from work tonight to find Matt brushing her lovingly, saying he was going to go to go to bed, he works early, and he got caught up brushing her… tee hee) but also, she’s been having some pretty gross bowel movements. We had to give her a shower this morning… That’s how bad it got… And the apartment smells a bit like a chicken barn from the ammonia. I have no clue what that means. The bartender today told me that her passing yellow stool means that her liver is gone, but I think she was being kind of a bitch. I mean, wouldn’t they be passing the pigment out somehow? I have no idea, I hope I’m right. Her noni juice hadn’t arrived yet, maybe it would make a big difference. She’s been acting a lot better, doesn’t hide anymore and puts up a big fight when I try to feed her, which is a great sign. You know, I think every cat owner should know this, CATS CAN’T FAST!!! How is this not common knowledge???

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I was interested in what you said about “cats can’t fast”. I have read in many raw cat books that it is a good idea to fast cats when they are ill, and some sugest that putting your cat on a one day a week fast is a great idea for their health. I have never done it because my cat would scream blue murder if I dared not feed him and I always thought, perhaps I should try and do it, so what makes you say they can’t fast…I think I am looking for a reason to not feel guilty about not fasting my cat!

p.s. have you tried giving her raw chicken’s liver most cats love it?

• Yeah I love animals and I would like to know what is best for that reason. But it seems like there aresn’t any cut and dry answers. Some things I read say low protein for kidney\liver problems and others say don’t attempt to fast the cat at all- that they need protein really bad. There are certain herbs or vegetables available that support liver function like artichoke or lemon but who knows if a cat could handle something like that.

I am glad to hear your cat is being feisty! Logan (our cat) says HI!

• Zoe—I think I read the same book as you, about how pets should fast once a week. I couldn’t do it with my cat cause he’d flip out (also I find him to be too thin as is so I’m trying to fatten him up), and I wouldn’t do it with my ferrets cause they’re so small and their digestion goes too fast… but I have done it once or twice with my dog. I think I did it once when he wasn’t going potty and I thought maybe he was constipated… so I didn’t want to feed him too much and possibly make it worse.

I can see that animals do fast in the wild, but I wouldn’t think that it is on purpose. They fast because they can’t get food so easily! But house cats are super good hunters so I doubt they ever go without food when they’re outside.

Ok, I personally think this is very important because once I found this out I was outraged I didn’t know this before. Their liver cannot handle breaking up body fat AT ALL. If your cat is just a tiny bit chubby, they have a very good chance of getting fatty liver in fasting mode. So don’t let them starve! You basically have to make sure they meet their caloric requirements, and if they’re too short for too long of a time… Well that condition can also be developed. I got some literature on the subject from that dear vet, you know, the one with antibiotics and canned food shoved up his bum :c)

I haven’t given them raw chicken liver because I simply can’t obtain any! Around here, no store that I went to so far was willing to even talk about them having organ meat from their chickens, and we don’t have a specialty meat shop in our area (we don’t own a vehicle and this is a ridiculously huge sprawl) So the only organ meat I could get would be beef liver or pork, and I refuse to buy those. All the toxins are in the liver, of course, and the beef industry is so disgusting I don’t want to know what’s in it. And pork??? Even worse! I’m going to try to find a source for that, for sure, I haven’t even had a day off work since she got sick though so it’s tricky.

Just a bit of an update, if anyone is interested: I’m still trying to get that noni juice for her so I haven’t given her that yet, but I did get some Milk Thistle seed and ground it up, added it to her food. After one day she’s walking around a bit more, looking a little more alert, jumping on my lap and purring… Generally seems like an improvement! She won’t eat yet but she agreed to lick her food a bit when we shoved it in her face. Obviously that wasn’t enough, but it’s progress. Her eyes are still dilated and she feels a little frail, but I think things are getting better.

Oh! Also, Matt managed to get some chicken hearts and liver, and we’ve finally added those to all the cats’ food. Very important for them!

• Oh Yeah I have heard of milk thistle! That’s awesome! I’m so glad to hear she’s better!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Silymarin is the active ingredient in one of the nutramaxx supplements I mentioned in the original thread. It is the most active component of milk thistle. So glad you are getting your buddy back!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

this all sounds positive, my outdoor kitty eats lots of organ meat and bones, he is single handedly trying to clean out the song birds in our area( I know i know, but even after serious discussions with him he flat out refuses to stick to rodentia!), but luckily he will go back to gophers and rodents soon as the birds seeem to loose their apeal if they are not nesting.. He is a barn cat, he has a job, so hopefully no one is offended at his stealth and destruction.

deborahann, I’m sorry I didn’t acknowledge your suggestion earlier, I really should have, I was just so turned off by the idea of giving her pills, from that damn vet. Apparently, it was also listed in the literature we got as another option, Matt claims he brought it up to me before. Of course. Well, I didn’t think to consider it until my cat expert aunt suggested it and it’s a shame, she could’ve been better sooner. Regardless, she’s getting so much better, I’m amazed. Today when I fed her I accidentally rubbed some of her food on her face and a few minutes later I saw Bender licking her :c) She seemed to enjoy it and licked him back, I’m sure she didn’t know what his true reason was. T’was cute.

deborahann, I’m sorry I didn’t acknowledge your suggestion earlier, I really should have, I was just so turned off by the idea of giving her pills, from that damn vet. Apparently, it was also listed in the literature we got as another option, Matt claims he brought it up to me before. Of course. Well, I didn’t think to consider it until my cat expert aunt suggested it and it’s a shame, she could’ve been better sooner. Regardless, she’s getting so much better, I’m amazed. Today when I fed her I accidentally rubbed some of her food on her face and a few minutes later I saw Bender licking her :c) She seemed to enjoy it and licked him back, I’m sure she didn’t know what his true reason was. T’was cute.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

No problem MT- it’s so frustrating when they are so sick and I know you want to stay as natural as possible and when you are already trying to force feed, the last thing you want to have to do is shove more pills down! It sounds like she’s turned the corner, though. Hopefully she’ll maintain a thin body condition for you because she may be predisposed to getting fatty liver easier. I’ve seen plenty of chubby cats go off food for a few days and not have a problem and then there are ones like yours that just can’t handle much fat movement at all. Best Wishes for continued recovery!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Ok I know this is like 8 months later but I was looking at old posts and saw this. I wasn’t involved before, but how is your cat? :)

Haha, I just found this. She’s doing great. No signs of any problems.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

oh, that’s great, Morning_theft!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

MT havent seen you around here lately( or Write eternity either), glad the kitty is ok!