Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw on TV

Hi I just wanted to mention a show that was on yesterday that had a raw family on it. I just happened to see the last half of it but it was not this sites kind of raw. But if the general public has that perception it is horrible. They were a family who eats raw meat. It was Wife Swap and of course the “raw” family was made out to be total freaks. The mom made a good point and tried to get the “normal” family to kill a chicken and they wouldn’t. I think if anyone is going to eat meat they need to kill an animal at least once to see how they feel about it then.

Comments

• I agree writeeternity!. That’s one of my biggest reasons for being vegan. I can’t imagine killing an animal, so why would I go to the store and buy its parts in a nice clean package? What’s the saying, “if slaughterhouses had glass walls?”

• I saw something on TV as well, and no one was made out to be a freak! The Discovery Health channel has a program called The Truth About Food and while the show is not exclusivley vegetarian, they focus on healthy eating and benefits of healing foods. Anyway, they had an experiment where they took 12 people suffering from high blood pressure/cholosteral and put them on the “Evolution Diet”, which was a raw food plant based diet. I can’t recall how long they were on this diet (no longer than a month) but at the end the entire groups cholosteral went down by 23% and everyone’s blood pressure returned to normal!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

all i remember ever seeing on tv was in the film notting hill when hugh grant is set up with the fruitarian. she is made out to be a complete nut, shuddering that the cooked carrots were “murdered.” come on!

• i love watching wife swap but it makes me so mad at the same time. There was another episode where the family composted everything and fertilized their garden with their own “waste”. They were made out to be complete freaks too.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Elizabeth- Was the program you watched on the Health Channel featuring Dr. Oz? He was on Oprah and announced he had a program coming up on that channel. I missed it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Own waste? That’s unclean! ...and unsafe.

• Someone told me that Dr. Oz said on oprah that dairy increases weight loss by 100 percent~! That’s rediculous.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I think the Wife Swap show must have been a repeat as we saw that one in the UK a while ago. Yes, it’s a pity that they used a family that ate raw meat, as 99% of raw fooders don’t. What I found interesting is how the other family, who happily ate cooked meat, kept saying how ‘disgusting’ the raw family were to eat it raw.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Germin8 – is it not the case that waste is only unclean if one is eating a toxic diet? If we ate a 100% non-toxic diet, and lived a non-toxic lifestyle (difficult!), then surely our waste would be the perfect thing to fertilise our garden with. But, because 99% of human waste IS ‘unclean’, we flush it away in water, spend millions trying to ‘clean’ it – the world is upside down.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Actually fertilizing our gardens with our own “waste” is a pretty wonderful thing to do. This is the way that we are supposed to get our B12. There was a group of people in Iran who were raw vegans and had very high levels of B12, which was entering their diet because they fertilised their veggie patch with their own poo. We create our own B12 but it is made too far down our digestive tract to get reabsorbed, so if you poo on your veggies and don’t wash them too well, you “reabsorb” your own B12. This is how it would have been before we lived in houses, because the seeds we eat which pass through us would grow into plants growing out of the poo. .

Here they did a TV programe where they locked some people in a gorilla cage and fed them only raw food, the Caveman diet style though, just straight bananas etc. I don’t watch TV so I don’t know what happened, but it is frustrating that they spent

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Fascinating… not sure what to think of that still…

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

I didnt see the show but several friends delighted in telling me how crazy the raw food family was….sigh this is why i dont watch tv…..

Weazelchef-I watched Oprah when Dr. Oz was on. He didn’t say that dairy increases weight loss. In fact, he didn’t even talk about meat or dairy in the diet. He did say that fish was good for mood, but that flax was a good alternative. The show featured raw produce (the Evolutionary Diet) and health.

Here’s some great information on B-12.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4HzyRq8xpwHXBahgfE…

• 123- That’s good that he didn’t say that then! I just heard someone say that.. and i was like WHAT!

• 123, yes it was the show with Dr. Oz. I thought it was a great program, they had all kinds of mini experiments. The first was the raw diet, then they had two people wear “fart pants” to measure how much gas they omitted in a day (3 litres!) and finally an experiment to see if raw garlic could have reverse effects on erectile disfunction (one man got his erections back, sadly the other one did not). But it was a great program! Very informative and fun to watch.