Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Looking for Un-Cookbook

I am just transitioning into a primarily raw food diet. It is more difficult than I thought it was going to be, especially when shopping & feeling very much in the minority over choosing to live this way. This website-especially the recipes-has been extremely helpful. I am looking for a good un-cookbook that doesn’t spend as many pages telling me Why I should eat raw but How: Something with good, yet simple recipes with basic ingredients to get me started. (I am nervous too many difficult recipes will intimidate me & I also do not have all the essential equipment or ingredients yet.) I would also like something that helps me balance my diet, providing me with a wide-array of all the nutrients my body needs. I have looked online at Living Cuisine (Ren

Comments

• i think you would be happy with Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people by Jennifer Cornbleet. It is simple and a good way to get started and comfortable with raw food prep.. The other books are good,but more detailed for a novice. chefraw.com

• I have Living Cuisine and as far as the information on food being raw goes, I think it’s good. The recipes are pretty good too except the entrees aren’t exactly simple, but there are great soup, salad and dehydrator recipes (if or for when you get one). I also really like Ani Phyo’s book, Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen, the recipes are easy, simple and most of them you just need a knife or blender for. Her website is a good place to get an idea of what she’s about, http://www.aniphyo.com/. Happy hunting!

• Thank you so much for your ideas Chefraw16 & Elizabeth—they sound great!

• You might check out freshtopia.net too for some great simple video recipes. And another forum to check out is www.rawfreedomcommunity.info for lots of easy recipees and other good info on raw food lifestyles.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

“Living Cuisine” explains a lot about being raw. I recommend it for that. The recipes often use umboshi(?) and miso.

“Raw” has lots of mushrooms in their recipe, but they have a great pad Thai.

I prefer “Raw Food Real World”; it’s gourmet, but every recipe I’ve made from it is a hit even with non-raw people.

Ani Phyo’s book is also a good read, but I don’t make many recipes from her book. I tried a patty recipe once… but it didn’t turn out like it was pictured.

I looked at “Rawvolution”... the pictures are GREAT and I have made enough raw recipes now, that I know I would like that book.

Others I have which I don’t reference much, but are good are Cousens book(good), “Healtful Living”(good), and “Dining in the Raw” (ok).

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

There are sooo many raw recipes on the Internet that you don’t even need to buy a book. This site, alone, has over 1000. Ani Phyo has some recipe demonstrations on YouTube.

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

I agree with 123. Honestly, I think the recipes on this site are better than just about any raw prep book I’ve come across. Just click through and take a look. There’s a ton of great ones!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yeah, the recipes on this site are nice. But when I am making something new and I want it to taste good (for, say, a raw food class I teach), I refer to my never-failed-me-yet-raw-cookbook-with-pictures instead. :o) The comments on the GoneRaw site are also helpful… when trying to choose a good recipe based on what others write. If it has good comments & ratings and a picture, I’m likely to try it.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

“Rawvolution” by Matt Amsden has got some great recipes, have to substitute and fiddle with them quite a bit though.

Chad Sarno’s “Vital Creations” is brilliant and has these tables with spices and veggies that go with each kind of popular ethnic cooking, and how to “do” fried, roasted, baked raw.

The Renee Underkoffler book is fantastic, but if you are just starting it might be a bit daunting, and she steams, uses non raw ingredients so you have to substitute and jiggle her recipes around a bit.

Raw by Klein and Trotter is great, not sure if it is a good book to start with though, it is very gourmet.

But I think to start with you need some basic recipes to feed yourself every day, not particularily fancy gourmet creations every day, so for great tasting, basic and easy raw eating I recommend these two:

“Hooked on raw” by Rhio, with tons of great tasting easy recipes, a great book.

And “Eating without heating” by Sergei and Valya Boutenko. These are the teenage kids of Victoria Boutenko, and their recipes are great tasting, easy and cheap to do.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I like “The Complete Book of Raw Foods” – it is recipes by all sorts of raw foodists (not just one person) so you get good variety.

I also like Alissa Cohen’s “Living on Live Foods”. Most of them are easy to make.

• shele24shele24 Raw Newbie

My faves are Rawvolution as stated above and Rawsome by Brigitte Mars. Honestly though I get a lot of recipes off the net & off blogs. Many people post their faves from books. More economical and already have feedback from others.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i just picked up a seemingly dated one at the library that is VERY simple. it’s called “eat smart, eat raw.” it’s also transitional-friendly because it has some “healthier but not raw” recipes in the back.

good luck!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Favorites, but I cut the salt and sugar and garlic back in the recipes and add more if needed… 1. Rawvolution 2. Raw Food Real World 3. Living on Life Foods have to say I agree though, lots of great recipes on this site, rawfoodtalk.com, and sunnyrawkitchen, but I still go to those 3 books the most…probably because of the gorgeous photos in the first 2, plus the food tastes great :)

• Try thedailyraw.blogspot.com

• “Living on Life Food” by Alissa Cohen has been a God-send for me. It’s the only book I have or need. I think you can get it from her website (www.rawfoodtalk.com)