Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

My raw experience

Hello everyone,

I first learned about the raw food lifestyle about 6 years ago. A year prior to that I was living the Bragg healthy lifestyle. Paul Bragg is a health food crusader who lived for 97 years of age. He was 85% raw. I adopted his ideas and it changed my health so dramatically. I was a varacious reader and perused copious books on the the subject of health and diet. Somehow in all that reading and researching, I found out about the raw food movement. It sounded so wonderful and I wanted to do it. However, when I tried I found it so difficult because I had a huge attachment to bread. I couldn’t imagine life would be good without it, so I decided to be a rawfoodist that ate bread. I lost a lot of weight and looked really good, but living with a cooked family made it hard to stay on my diet. My husband and I used to eat out often. It was something that we loved to do and it had been part of our life for so long. It was how we bonded. Well.. my diet ended up being a yo-yo diet. I would eat out and then say to myself, “I’ll go back raw tomorrow.” Well.. in theory that sounded like a great idea. However, it rarely worked out that way. I wouldn’t feel like raw the next day. I have struggled on and off like this for the past 6 years. My weight slowly crept back and this Christmas, all bets were off.. I just ate everything and anything that my heart desired. 20 pounds later I realized that I had to stop or lose my health completely. I started to go 100% raw with the intention of sticking to it for at least 2 months. I read an article by, Victoria Boutenko, who says that the cravings for cooked food will have subsided by then. It seems to be the “hump” for most people. I should be able to go out with my husband and only want salad instead of fish and potatoes, or thai curries. I will be able to emotionally handle it. That is my goal anyway. Of course the altimate goal is to stay 100% raw for the rest of my life.. but I have to focus on the two months right now. I need all the help I can get. Peace to all.. Diane

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

We are here:) feel free to ask anything that you want

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hi Dianne: Welcome to Gone Raw. You’re on a really fantastic path right now – we’d love to hear how your days are going!

When I first started eating raw food, I tried to really treat myself by making food that I was craving – food that I would love. Do you have a dehydrator? Mine really helped me transition to eating more raw food. At first, I ate a ton of raw crackers (especially cilantro crackers) and onion bread. The crackers were the easiest to make (and most reliably good).

Thai food has also been one of my greatest loved, both cooked and raw. If you do start craving thai curry, perhaps try these curry chews. We’re actually taking a raw thai food class this Saturday in Portland – I’ll see if the chef is into sharing a couple recipes!

• GabeGabe Raw Newbie

Wow yoyo you read my mind hehe..been there done that hope not to do that this round. I like to make puddings with avacados and agave raw necture seems to help me from crashing and craving bread so far..

• rae-deanrae-dean Raw Newbie

hi everyone! i am new. i have bread drying my my food dryer right now.it is 3 cups of carrot pulp and one cup a raisins(soaked and pureed) and some cinnamon(1t.)and 1 t.of vanilla and 1/4 c. of ground flax seed meal,and celtic sea saltu can add mor flax seed meal if the carrot pulp is too wet.or u can add a bit of water if too dry.form into a loaf and slice and put the slices in your food dryer.mine does not have a regulator for heat.so i will leave them in for about 4 hours.they should be soft when taken out.it is so hard. i have to cook for everyone in the family.the grandsons and hubby and everyone smokes too.agh. i just found out about raw and did nt knwo it would be so hard. i have lost 67 pounds since going raw.thanks and good luck.

• Hi, I have been raw now for over 3 years and I just want to say that it does get easier. I don’t even think about cooked food anymore. I did some yoyo-ing in the beginning too but it all worked out in the end. Do you drink green smoothies? They really are the miracle food and help with cravings immensely. If you haven’t already read “Green For Life”by Victoria Boutenko I highly reccommend it. Good luck!