Raw cookie bars?

“I greatly enjoy a snack from my former work called ‘chippy dippy bars.’ I was hoping to find a way to make a similar recipe, but raw. Basically, it’s a graham cracker crumb and butter crust, topped with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, then condensed milk and shredded coconut.” -Said Matt. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi Morning theft! That sounds really good! I would make a pecan and date crust with carob chips or raw brownie then date chopped and coconut milk- the thick kind with meat in it and shredded coconut on top. Great idea!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Ooooooh good ideas! How would you make coconut milk?

• I would blend up the milk and meat together. I haven’t done this yet but I’d really like to try it now.

What do you mean by milk? Just the water? And do you mean a mature coconut?

• HI- One of the young coconuts would be easier and creamier. The milk is more more like the water and the thick milk is the water and the soft meat. That’s funny about your boss- she probably thought you were on drugs or caffeine- people just aren’t fullof energy or happy much normally these days!

Hehe, No, she just thought my bravado was scaring off the new guy who was being trained this morning. If I told her I’m high from maca and life, she’d probably say something like “oh good for you!” Good ideas about the condensed milk replacement! What do you mea by carob chips- chunks of carob? And is there anything that would make it “butterscotchy”?

• I’ve heard of people using carob chips but I haven’t used them before. I just thought I heard someone say there were raw ones available out there.I have cacao chips that I could grind up and add to coco butter or something to make them like chips. I think blended dates are like caramel or butterscotch. Maybe dates plus macadamia nuts or coco butter that will get chip like if put in the refridge. I don’t have the hard coco butter but would like to try it. I’d probably make my brownie recipe for the chocolate chip recipe if I needed more of immediate gratification for this one. The coconut cream with fresh coconut on top, chocolate and pecan crust with goey date in the middle sounds great right now though. You’ll have to post it when you make it!

Oh my. I will!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Frontier has butterscotch “flavoring” if you don’t mind a touch of it…although it’s not raw, but at least it has no alcohol in it. You want flavorings, not extracts. Extracts have alcohol. I think that agave sort of has a bit of caramel flavor to it.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

If you want smoother milk, Bruce Fife that wrote the coconut books, recommends juicing the coconut meat from an older coconut to get the milk. But I’ve also seen what writeeternity recommends, the blending of water and meat too from a young coconut. The young coconut is less fattening and loaded with nutrients! Sweeter too :)

• One of the ladies on this site has a yummy recipe for coconut milk on her blog. I tried it with cinnamon instead of nutmeg, a little less agave, and alcohol free vanilla extract.My family loved it!

Here it is. http://thedailyraw.blogspot.com/2007/09/coconut…

I finally had time to buckle down and give this a try (I know, it’s been a while.) I took hazelnut pulp, honey, coconut oil and Celtic sea salt, and mushed together to make a crust, that I dehydrated for a bit before adding the rest. Then I made chocolate chunks out of cacao butter, cacao powder and honey, let it harden and crack into pieces, which I sprinkled on the crust. Then I covered that with coconut cream which was juiced mature coconut meat (oh baby) and topped it with shredded coconut (the juiced coconut meat, basically). Matt loved it, but decided to let it dehydrate over night. In the morning he tried it again and said it’s ALMOST it, but needed more chocolate and something butterscotchy. I think I’ll make some date caramel and try it again soon. I’ll post the exact recipe with pictures when I finally get it right.

• There is a raw chocolate recipe on this site that I made, chilled, and broke into pieces to make chocolate chips. http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/334-Raw-Chocolate

For the butterscotchy/caramel layer try http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1584-Simply-Deca…

or try the caramel layer from this recipe.
    http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/263-Caramel-Appl…

Sounds so delicious! I want to go home and make dessert right now instead of dinner!!

• Well wouldn’t using a basic almond milk recipe but only using 1 cup of water as opposed to 3 make a substitute for evaporated almond milk. I would suppose for condensed you would add 1/2c of dates soaked in 1/2c of water. Use 1/2 c of water to blend almonds strain mix in the soaked dates and soak water plus 2 tbl of coconut oil. Giving you roughly 12oz. You can always use 1/2c of agave instead of the 1/2c dates and water just use the full 1c again.