Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help!!

Ugh… Just, ugh… I won’t even say how, but I went HORRIBLY off what I consider to be my “optimal” diet. I am sorely lacking in vegetables, let alone leafy greens. I’ve been craving all the wrong foods and I know its because of this lack in vegetables and necessary nutrients.

Anyway, I’m finding it really hard getting back into my raw lifestyle. I can’t figure out why… sometimes I have these unhealthy eating lapses, and I know its not a big deal… it happens… but I thought ones this bad at least were behind me.

All I can say is I feel very ill and I would love any and all advice about an easy, simple, satisfying detox, as well as tasty but simple / inexpensive ways to incorporate more raw veggies, ESPECIALLY greens.

Although at this point I feel so sick I might just be willing to nibble on some lettuce and be happy with that…

Oh. And before this, I had been craving fruits. I had a ton, then suddenly I was sick of them. Thats when I got cooked cravings, and then everything went downhill. I think maybe I overloaded on too much sugary / acidic foods (lots of oranges, if that makes a difference?).

I need to get back and track. Desperately. Help!

Comments

• I love condiments, like salsa and guacamole. I also really enjoy chips although I don’t always have the time or energy to dehydrate them. I’ve found that something I really enjoy are “romaine boats” when I use the romain as a vessel to get guacamole/salsa to my mouth. Lots of greens + lots of veggies = lots of fun. Happy munching!

• Don’t be too hard on yourself, it’s okay, your body is very accepting of these minor lapses, and they happen to all of us, even the most well-intentioned.

For me, when I get off track, I return to the love of green smoothies. Maybe if you can get back to blending up some of your greens, then slowly transition back into your optimal diet. If you can drink a big, healthy green smoothie in the morning, you’ll get a lot of your daily nutrition, then you can cut yourself some slack during the day. Be kind to yourself. If this was easy, everyone could do it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I’m with you Katie. I was 90% raw for 2 months… and was doing good, feeling great, and then suddenly… all I wanted was cooked food and that’s all I ate… and a whole lot of it for a week or two. During my 90% raw food, I ate a lot of fruits and craved sugary type things. I knew I needed more veggies to help with the cravings… but, by that time I was “burned-out” on preparing gourmet raw foods. Since then, I haven’t been able to get to 90% raw… but I started to teach raw food classes every other week. I made plenty of raw food, that I had leftovers for me and my husband for the next week. That was nice! But, the next week we ate more cooked. I know that my diet needs more leafy greens… and I still don’t buy more of them because I crave those fruits and buy those instead. :o( Sorry, I don’t have great advice for you… I’m in the same boat.

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

I am hooked on spinach/kale smoothies! I start with some soaked Goji berries and dates, plus the soak water, and then fill the blender with spinach and kale. Next I throw in what ever fruit I have on hand. Peaches, cranberries, strawberries, pineapple, a few mint leaves, and voila! Greens!! Don’t be too hard on yourself. You know what to do and when you’re ready, you’ll do it!

• Thanks so much everyone for your helpful advice. :)

elizabeth- I also LOVE salsa and guacamole. I never thought to eat it with romaine… but that sounds REALLY good!

shane- I know a green smoothie is probably a smart way to go but I’m always afraid I won’t like it, or I’ll pour in WAY too much fruit. When I was trying green smoothies before it was really just a fruit smoothie with some leafy greens, not the other way around. I think I’ll just have to experiment with more greens and less fruit to see what tastes good.

germin8- Its comforting to hear that someone else out there is going through the same thing. Maybe we can try to come out of it together. =) My goal today was to drink lots of water in the morning (around two glasses… I put some lemon in it) and to do some exercising later. I thought that might help with any intense cravings, now I just need to work on eating those greens!

Stefunk- I was making a spinach/kale smoothie for a while almost everyday a week or so ago, but I would overload it with fruit. :( I guess I just have too big of a sweet tooth. I really want to try and get a taste for raw greens. I LOVE them cooked with olive oil and garlic but not only is that annoying to do, but I know they’re much better for me raw. Also, when I eat them sautteed in garlic and oil I start to crave white bread (I think cause thats how I used to eat it… greens with pasta or bread).

Today’s a new day and so far all I did was get up and drink some water with lemon. I’ve been drinking a lot of lemon water lately (but not enough because I still feel really dehydrated most the time) to try and detox whatever I had the night before, but then everyday just got worse so it didn’t really help. :( Today will be better though, and I’m going to go to the store and get some greens, maybe an avocado and tomatoes / peppers for some homemade guacamole! With those romaine leaves, mmm…

Anyone else have any ideas on how to eat leafy greens in a yummy way, hopefully without salad (I get sick of it after a while) and without smoothies (I end up just overloading with fruit)?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I like creamed spinach. It is from Rhio’s book hooked on raw. You can also dehydrate it and use it for a delicious wrap by wrapping tomato, sprouts, avo and cuke in it after it is dried…

5 cups spinach 1/2 medium onion 1 avocado 1 tomato 1/4 cup dill 1 lemon juiced 1/2 cup pine nuts

Process together till smooth. Yum yum yum.

Also Kale salad is my favourite: bowlful of kale, 1/2 teasp salt, dash olive oil, sprinkle of cayenne(well I out ALOT of cayenne in it prob a teasp at least) 3 tomatoes, 1 avocado. Put everything in a bowl and massage together by hand until avo is creamed and everything is soggy.

Hope that helps

• Hey Katie! Dont feel bad at all. I have the same problem. There are some times to when i dont want anything healthy. It been that way for a while i crave sweets, chips, and bread. I know there’s a website called tribe.net and they have support groups. If you wanted to you could put up a post asking others to do a group fast with you. I would be down for it. Another website is meetup.com. I joined a meetup in my area recently and they are pretty supportive. Let me know, heck i may set a post myself to do a group fast/diet.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks, Katie. I’m not sure drinking water will help with my cravings since I already drink plenty. So, I’ll try extra hard to add more greens, greens, greens. I’m going to start increasing my raw in about a week. I want to do 90% for 2 months again and see how it goes.

• Mmm creamed spinach sounds good…

Missthomas, I also crave sweets and chips a LOT… bread too sometimes. That’s my biggest problem. I think I may be getting over a sugar addiction.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a friend who’s been going raw / vegan with me and she also has trouble sometimes so I think I may go to her for some support. We’re already planning to do a detox weekend (all good smoothies / juices, no unneccesary electronics like tv, plenty of sunshine, etc.), its just a matter of finding the time to get together.

• hey katie I’ve gone through phases like that when I went fruit crazy to relieve myself of cooked food cravings…not fun! Someone said salsa and guacamole on romaine as a taco which is one of my favorite things to do! Chopped veggies on romaine or whatever lettuce with a really tasty dressing is one of my favorite meals. Maybe if you find some sauces and dressings that you like salads would be more tempting. You said you were scared of the green smoothies in case you were tempted to put oo much fruit in it well, what if you put in some spirulina or some other green powder for some good green nutrition? Hope you find a resolve!

• I’ve never tried spirulina. I think I saw a drink recipe once for coconut water and some sort of green powder. If I go to the store today I’ll check that out! Thanks :)

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Noff-great idea about the spirulina! I must warn that I just purchased some and put 1/2 a teaspoon in my next green smoothie. I really couldn’t taste it so in the next on I put a whole teaspoon. Whoa! It is strong! So I guess I’m saying, start with a bit and increase it to suit your taste!

• Does anyone know if spirulina is actually good for you? I mean, I don’t mean to pull out that loaded “science” word, but is there any science regarding spirulina? Is it another scammy ripoff, or is there a there there?

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

hey shane

this has some info on both spirulina and chlorella…not sure if it’s what you’re looking for. http://www.chlorellafactor.com/

peace blujett