miso

is miso technically raw? i see it in alot of living foods recipe books, but i looked at the container and it has rice in it, as well as soy. is it cooked and then fermented? whats the deal?

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

No, Miso is not raw. Yes, it is made from cooked base items and then fermented. Often, it is also pasteurised.

• I use organic miso master…miso is not raw..it is living..fermented food is good for raw fooders..raw saurkrout,fermented cheeses.. chefraw.com

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

Even chickpea miso? I thought this was ok b/c it is not soy-based?

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

When we cook soybeans, rice, chickpeas, whatever, we kill the food. When something is dead (eg rotting veg, road-kill), bacteria feed on it. Yes, these bacteria are ‘living’, which is why nama shoyu, miso etc are described as ‘living’ foods. Nama shoyu is usually made from cooked soybeans, roasted wheat, and a lot of salt. I don’t eat them myself, and am fed up with cookbooks that use them in every other recipe. What message is this giving raw fooders? That, really, raw isn’t good enough by itself – that we have to add these cooked, salty flavourings if we want to make it really tasty? In fact, of course, that’s not true at all. Raw fooders – liberate yourselves from nama shoyu and the like!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Miso has friendly bacteria, good for digestion. Only use top quality unpasteurised miso made with few ingredients. A good winter addition to the diet.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

saurkraut is raw and has those friendly bacteria too ;)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

My favorite brand of miso is South River. According to the jar in my refrigerator, it’s the only “unpasteurized, certified organic miso” that is entirely handcrafted in the centuries-old farmhouse tradition. Unpasteurized miso is a “living food” with natural digestive enzymes, Lactobacillus, and other microorganisms to aid in the digestion of all foods…

The flavor is unlike anything you’ve ever had. One of my favorites is the Dandelion Leek Miso which is made from wild-crafted plants and mineral rich sea vegetables. Check them out at www.southrivermiso.com.

Cheers! Chef Kristen Suzanne

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Why do they have to make miso fom cooked base ingredientd, wouldn’t it work if they used raw food as a starter for the live culture?