Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

colloidal silver

Has anyone here taken colloidal silver? My acupuncturist highly recommended it for certain conditions, but I am concerned about how to take it. One of the dangers is for the skin to turn permanently gray (argyria), something I definitely don’t want to happen (I’m not even happy with the gray in my hair since I stopped using hair color!). Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Whatever condition it is you are trying to beat, I’m sure can be handled by a healthy immune system better than by colloidal silver.

• I know a bit about colloidal silver. It’s greatest attribute is that it’s a natural antibiotic. When our dog was attacked by another dog we put it on his wounds and gave it to him internally and he healed up rapidly with no infection (he’s also a raw food doggie so I’m sure that helped) We have also used it on our young sons eye when it was infected and a finger wound with fantastic results. I know many people who swear by it as a cold and flu fighter and general immune builder. The grey skin thing will only happen if you take absurd amounts of it.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

There are people on my MS group who swear by it, but it has never seemed like an essential nutrient to me. Do you know anyone with a deficiency of silver? Of course not. It’s a part of the medical mentality. Germs can’t live in an alkaline body. Raw produce is alkalizing. Yeah, you only turn gray if you consume massive amounts of CS.

• To be honest, I am very wary about using a metal that, as 123 mentions, is not an essential nutrient. At this point, I am 90% raw and have become even more watchful about what goes into my body. As chriscarlton said, a healthy immune system is the best way to go (which is why I eat this way and go to the acupuncturist!). Yet, it was the acupuncturist who recommended it. Well, I can already tell which side I’m leaning towards…thanks for your responses.

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

using something like colloidal silver is an alchemical approach. If you want to know more about it’s benefits, you may want to look into alchemy. If not, raw foods are excellent.

• I have tried CS. I mostly use it externally, although I take it internally (gargle then swallow) to treat a cold. It works on my horses too! And much less expensive than a vet! It works wonders on my kids too, since I don’t like giving them antibiotics. Cleared up pinkeye super quick. Ear infections cleared within a day, and have not come back since. I use it on zits, counter tops, sores, eyes, swish with it for bad breath (which I don’t have being raw, but one of my kids does.), I train horses so I spray it on my brushes and cinches to kill any bacteria that may spread skin disorders. If anyone has pets spray it on them to eliminate dander. Works for human dandruff too. I get my man to drink it as he complains of ulcers. When he’s taking it he seems to complain less. I have told him a thousand times that if he went raw all his “ailments” would lessen. (He’s stuck on the SAD diet:() It seems to have endless possibilities. I don’t take it daily only to treat things. All in all, I like it. And when I ran out, I did miss it. My sister used it to treat a respiratory ailment in her infant daughter. She was cured and the problems have not returned. That was 6mos ago.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

My mom has been making collidal silver for years now. I’ve drank quite a few glasses of it myself. I was never had any problems to cure, so I can’t say if it helps or not. My mom drinks quite a bit of it and neither of us have had any problems with skin turning grey. If you do decide to buy collidal silver read up on the company producing it. I have heard that there’s a large gap in terms of quality. It must be stored in a dark bottle and not exposed to light or else it looses its beneficial qualities. I can’t explain the science behind that though.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

its in my skin care (hylunia) products as a natural preservative.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I used to use it often, but since eating raw, I find that I feel better with all kinds of food instead. I also was very picky about brands because most didn’t feel that good to me.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I did some research on CS some time ago but don’t know where it is. Publications puport that argyria results when CS is manufactured a certain way (I think it has someting to do with how the silver particles are suspended). I think the incidents of argyria are few since the early 1900s after it was learned how to perfect the solution.

Most today think the term “born with a silver spoon in your mouth” refers to being born into wealthy circumstances. Its original use was to indicate someone was a sickly child, thereby requiring a silver spoon to be placed in the mouth for medicinal purposes. This was before antibiotics.

Silver may not be good for your body but does seem to have a strong effect in triggering the immune system. Unfortunately, that may be because it is so toxic to the body it puts the immune system in overdrive. On the other hand, that reasoning may be just a statement issued by a western-trained medical “professional” intended to justify his belief that anything not ordained by his profession is without value and must be a hoax.

The lack of unbiased, scientific inquiry into therapies is such a big problem in this country. The US FDA is strongly aligned with organized medicine and big pharma. Recent events (last several decades) prove they represent corporate financial interest and not public health concerns. Personally, I don’t believe anything the FDA has to say about the safety or efficacy of a “drug.” That could very well prove detrimental to my own health one day because I doubt the FDA is lying about everything. I just can’t tell this lie from that truth. It is a really bad place to be when you are trying to make an informed decision about your healthcare and you realize there are no reliable resources.

It seems legitimate scientific studies are not done by by those without conflicts on natural or alternative therapies either. Furthermore, they can claim anything as long as they add an FDA disclaimer. Many can and do include statements intended to defraud and mislead consumers for the sake of profits. Those promoting alternative medicines are often no different in their marketing tactics than big pharma. The marketplace is just one big whorehouse.

I tend to rely more on alternative therapies where there seems to be an indication a therapy has been used for an extended period (even if the claims are at best anecdotal). This of course doesn’t mean that those claiming benefit may have been grasping at straws during desperate times or attributing a healing benefit to the wrong source. We really don’t have any way of knowing what is true.