Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juice Fast

rawgirl1976rawgirl1976 Raw Newbie

Hello, I was thinking about doing a juice fast for about a week. Does anybody have any good suggestions about different recipes for making juice? Should I make both fruit and vegetable juice together? And is there anything special I should add to really help clean me out. How long should I do it? Thank you I also just wanted to add I have posted about 3 or 4 questions here is the last few months and have gotten so much help and good suggestions from so many wonderful people. Thank you so much

charlotted2706 Deleted

Comments

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

I’ve never done a juice fast before, but I’ve been juicing on a regular basis in the mornings for a long time—love it! :)

Mixing fruit and veggie juices are definitely okay in my book, but you’ll get different opinions on that. I would focus on green juices and also include beets and carrots because they’re excellent for cleansing. (Dilute the carrot in other juices or water because of the high sugar, and dilute the beet juice because it can be too powerful on its own.) If you feel ‘drawn’ to a particular fruit or veggie, or find yourself craving one, juice it or add it to a mix or juice it on its own. Listening to your body is the best suggestion I can give you.

My staple green juice recipe is this:

1 head of celery

a few leaves of kale

1 or 2 leaves of chard

a small handful of parsley

1 or 2 apples

a lemon

You can play around with that and add ginger or even garlic if you want, or leave out the lemon, or switch up the greens.

I also really like carrot-ginger juice (about a pound or 2 of carrots with a small knob of ginger), but since you’re fasting it might spike (and then quickly drop) your blood sugar, but you could dilute it in water or celery juice. Or what I like to do is take a sip of carrot-ginger juice and a couple sips of water in between sips of juice. That way, you can enjoy the full flavor of the juice and have the sugars release more slowly into your bloodstream with it diluting in your stomach.

Citrus is great too—maybe try a blend of grapefruits and oranges.

Best of luck! :)

charlotted2706 Deleted
  • deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I have only juice fasted here and ther with 5 days being the longest. I have blood sugar issues anyway so I do better with just veggie. Here’ mine: small handful of parsley 2 celery stalks 2-3 romaine or other lettuce leaves 2 lg. kale leaves 2 C Spinach 1 Cucumber This should make about 3 C and I usually dilute it. If the greens make it taste too strong, add more celery or cuke.

• the best thing you should do is checkout Angela Stokes website. she is great at juice feasting!! it is not a fast,but a juice feast..she has great recipes..i have a think at my website..chefraw.com or you can google her…

• I have done a few juice fasts and I am 10 days into a 100 day juice ‘feast’, I have been 100% RAW vegan for six months and have lost 50lbs of unwanted fat. I am feasting to cleanse my system and get really clear about my goals and spiritual growth. I think almost everyone could benefit from doing one of these. It’s really easy after the first few days. Reading around the subject is great motivation. Invest in a good quality juicer that can extract from green leaves. When you detox your body you also detox your mind/emotions, so using Bach flower remedies is really good. The best book on this subject that I have read is by Mechthild Scheffer ‘Bach Flower Therapy The Complete Approach’.

• Rawgirl 1976 I started my raw life with an 8 day juice fast – and it was the best thing that’s ever happened to me! I highly recommend them. I fast/feast about once a week just because that’s what my body wants. Then I do a several day fast once a month. Like Jaktron I’ve lost 55 lbs since May and feel amazing.

Jaktron WOW! 100 days! That’s truly amazing. Let me know how it goes for you. I don’t think I’d have trouble doing the actual feasting, but I’ve got to admit my sometimes lack of fasting has to do with the fact I hate cleaning my juicer! lol

My favorite staple juice recipe:

8 carrots 1 zucchini 1 small or 1/2 green apple and if I’m feeling the need I throw in 2 leaves of kale. Now and then I’ll stir in a little spirinilla

I used to have rheumatoid arthritis (of course being raw has cured me of it though!) And so I also have another recipe that is good for joints.

1/4 pineapple 1” fresh gingeroot

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I hope I am not too late. I am on day 22 of my juice feast. Juices can be with vegetable, and fruits together or seperate. I added a few juices that I enjoyed. Other juices that I drink is 1 beet and 2 oranges or 1 beet and 2 apples, 4 carrots and 2 celery stalks, 5 carrots and a handful of parsley, grapefruit juice by itself, orange juice by itself, tomato juice by itself, apple juice by itself or with lemon, cantaloup by itself, carrot juice by itself, carrot with apple, carrot with orange, carrot with celery, daikon and ginger to help with sore throat, daikon with apple and cucumber, for a fake V8 celery, spinach, red bellpepper, tomato, kale, garlic and I add a little cayenne better and sometimes carrot. I get bored really quickly with drinks and I have had many more. Start with the sweet ones first and then slowly add the not so sweet juices in. After awhile the juices tend to taste stronger for example the sweet juices seem to sweet and the tomato juice taste salty. Get some juicing books, find some recipes on here or somewhere but eventually you will make your own, figure out what you like and experiment. I prefer to experiment, what I do is I would look at foods and try and make a juice equivalent or I would look at juices in the stores and put some of those juices together. For example I do not like cranberries but because of Cranapple, I figured I would try it. If strawberries were in season I would mix it with the cranberries. I had a receipe for Beet and Carrot salad so I juiced just beets and carrot and it was good. Best of Wishes.

• Hey aleta, I started out my raw life with a juice fast, too! 10 days, and then raw ever since. Juice fasting was so fabulous, I was never hungry and I had loads of energy. I had one weird detox episode on day 7 (sweating, chills, nausea, muscle weakness, and direaha) but it only lasted about an hour and a half and then I immediately felt awesome again! So weird! I would actually love to do another juice fast again, but I can’t afford to lose any more weight. I’ve got bones showing through all over and all my clothes fall off! Also, my favorite juice: one peeled beet, one apple, one peeled zuchini. It’s bright pink and I call it the “Paris Hilton” although I don’t know why because I hate her… Hmm.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I’m with joesc, “I hope I am not too late”. ;-)

A friend of mine has done a multi-week grape mono-”fast”. Fast is in quotes because she drank grape juice and ate raisins and grapes (anything in the form of what used to be grapes at least). I think she recommended concord grapes to be the best. But any grape would do. I’m very curious to try this kind of fast… for 10 days… only because I recently discovered (ate) fresh concord grapes that were absolutely divine; I’ll eat that over any piece of candy any day. I have to find out more about this grape mono-fast. And aren’t grapes somewhat of a blood cleanser? I haven’t researched that… just heard it.

Well, I don’t have recipes… as grapes in any form would do in this fast. But, I can recommend to stick to low acid foods in your juices.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

just to be devil’s advocate here, does anyone NOT believe in fasting? i did a 5 day one and didn’t really feel that it helped me all that much. i’ve heard WATER fasts are the only way to go, and to start out with just a day a week and work it up.

thoughts?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I think it depends on how fast you want to detox. Better than just a water fast would be a water fast while doing a flush and colon cleanse. It just depends what one wants. Plus, I understand a water fast beyond 3 days requires someone (or at least you) to know what you’re doing. I don’t know why that is (but maybe someone can explain it to me). For that reason, I’ve never done a water fast beyond 3 days. But I have done a 3-day water fast, flush, colon cleanse, and supplments at a mission I went to.