Soup Bases

I am trying to make a raw version of an Apple Leak Soup. I know the basic ingredients that I will be using: granny smith apples, onion, leek, olive oil, garlic, curry and other spices. However, I am having a hard time coming up with a “base” to replace the veggie bouillon cubes in the original recipe. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Could you juice some veggies?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Celery and/or cucumber juice with maybe extra celery salt added would probably do it.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking maybe celery juice or carrot juice might work. Also, was thinking about using coconut water, but I am not sure if that would make it more of an asian flavor, which I don’t want for the potluck that I am bringing it to. I also want to make sure that it is not too sweet. I want a savory dish that is hearty, as it is for a harvest potluck.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I think a little sweetness, a little saltiness would be good with the other ingredients. Maybe you could blend carrot AND celery. I’m unfamiliar with the cooked version of this soup.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

We like using Herbamere or Trocomere in any fresh pureed vegetable liquid or juice (depending on how much liquid you need)...but that’s not “raw.”

You could look at the ingredients on the container, take the same fresh veggies and dehydrate them at a low temp so they remain live, and then grind them up into a powder yourself to have a live, condensed raw mixture to flavor your soup.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think cucumber because its kind of mellow, and the flavor or the leeks and apples should stand out with cukes as the base.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Will you please post your recipe if it turns out as you hope? It sounds wonderful!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

When I make soups I usually put in lots of celery, which gives it body and some saltiness; and some fresh basil, garlic, onion. Sometimes some fresh ginger root. I never liked bouillion cubes so I don’t know if all the above is a good substitute.

So many great ideas, thanks guys! I will for sure post the recipe after I make the soup tonight.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

There a recipe on here for the veggie base part of soup by HumanAnimal. I haven’tried it yet but it looks like it would definatley work.

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/167-Veg-Stock

OMG! I can’t believe I missed that! Thanks for directing me queenfluff!