Raw for me

Hello fellow Raw-ers!

I have been vegan for the past 5 years, strictly on a moral basis. Though, through those five years I have matured to understand how important it is to take care of your body. I think it is a common misconception that going on a vegetarian or vegan diet is in itself healthy for you. There is a lot of vegan “crap” out there, and recently I realized that I have become addicted to it! All of those processed fake meats and cheeses, it cannot be good for you (though better than the real thing). So, I made a vow to myself that for the month of October I will eat only raw. I have given up caffeine, and of course, any cooked and processed foods. So far it has been easy, thanks to this site!! I am so happy it is here! I am a senior in college, and absolutely broke, and this site has made it so easy for me to figure out what I need to get me through this month, and ways to use every bit of my food. I am starting to hope that I can carry this through longer than October.

I do have a couple of questions though. Today marks day seven of being raw. For the last couple of days I have felt border line depressed and very unlike myself. I had a realization of this the other night when I was walking through my apartment and noticing things I had to take care of, and this feeling of not caring and a weight came over me. I don’t know if this is just me detoxing or what, but I hope it ends!!! Has anyone else experienced this when going raw? I have done the master cleanse before also, and I never got this feeling before.

In any case, I know that what I am doing is good for me. So, thank you to everyone for all of your recipes and advice!

-Debbie

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Yeah absolutely! Detox for most people is hell on Earth. I had headaches, stomach pains, light headed, mucus drainage, and thats just to name a few. Depression is actually quite common. Your body is cleaning itself and at times it will crave great amounts of caffeine and all the other toxic stuff that is in common food. No worries these hardships will leave. I cant tell you how long they will last because it is diff for everyone. Just keep a positive attitude and tell your self that it will all pass in good time. I also recommend that you stop consuming cacao for a while because of its high caffeine level. Im not saying give it up forever because I know it is one of the best foods out there. Always remember that you eat foods that love you! :)

Peace and Blessings! Vaughn

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Debbie,

Congratulations on making it through your first week, and for your decision. And, yes, what you are experiencing is one of the common ways to detox. The first time I went raw I was exhausted for months. I would have got through it faster if I just allowed myself to sleep sleep sleep, but my schedule wouldn’t allow it. Fortunately, I was seeing a naturopath who understood what was going on and got me through it. He explained that once I had removed the stimulants from my diet, I would experience the fatigue that was there. Depression is one aspect of fatigue.

So hang in there. Once you are through this you will feel better than ever!

• I just had to reply here. I have the same problem of not caring about ANYTHING! my apartment is always constantly a filthy mess (how this happens is beyond me)... things are out of place… i have many empty tubes and bottles laying around i have yet to get rid of. Right now I am seriously focusing on this and its been a long, tiring chore. Also, as we get older our thinking changes.

I dont know if you can relate to any of this, or this is what your even talking about.

To answer your question, yes this has alot to do with detox.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

That’s very interesting… when I first got my husband on a 10-day raw food back in 2005, he became depressed. I didn’t think it was the diet… until we did two other “10-day raw food” the following year.

He never really had lots of stimulants before, so I don’t know if that was the cause… but, maybe that bit he had was enough.

He doesn’t get depressed anymore on a raw food diet. Yeay. :o)

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

germin8,

According to the naturopath I saw, the salt, sugar, artificial thises and thats, toxins in the diet acted as stimulants.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

greenie, he never had salt growing up. Only more recently, but even then, not much. He has had all the other stuff you listed though. It’s amazing… even if you eat a little of “this and that”, it really does add-up over time, it is in our bodies, and affects us more than we think. Thanks for the info.