flu

I’ve been experimenting with the raw diet for over a few months now and have had the flu twice during this period. (I never get the flu.) Is this just a weird coincidence or is my body seriously going crazy? FYI—I have NOT been a 100% raw. Thanks.

Comments

• Are you sure what you had was influenza and not detox symptoms? Also, what were your symptoms? I’ve heard of a lot of people feeling pretty miserable because of detox – tired, achy, runny nose, headaches and diarrhea, which can mimmic influenza. A major symptom of influenza is having a high temp. I don’t know if detox would cause a bad fever, I’ve never heard of that happening but anythings possible. So it could very well be detox happening, which if that’s a case, it’s a good thing. :)

• Just a question cause I’m so curious… I have cut out dairy from my diet recently.. yesterday and today I feel like I’m getting a head cold but I’m wondering if I could be detoxing from just one thing? I’m not 100% raw but I wanted to see if cutting out yogurt and milk would help with congestion and snoring?? Is this possible for me to detox from dairy even if I’m not completely raw?

• KurdishMom- I am not completely raw either, but I have cut dairy out of my diet and my son’s diet. I use to wake up every morning with a congested nose and my son’s breathing was terrible at night. We did the Singular and the prescription nose sprays with him, but it wasn’t much help. Cutting out the dairy made a HUGE difference for both of us. I no longer wake up congested. I know immediately if I ate something the day before that had dairy in it. We also know if my son had dairy at grandma’s house because the evidence is in his breathing at night. My daughter has not cut out dairy and she continues to be full of mucus. When I first cut out the dairy, I had a runny nose for days. But now I can breathe again and I wonder at what point did I start thinking it was normal to wake up congested every morning???

• This is actually the second time I’ve tried to be dairy free… the first time was about 3-4 weeks ago when there was a trade-stop on all products coming from Iran.. which meant that all of the dairy products were unavailable for a while. I didn’t really realize just how good I was feeling until I had some yogurt again and I could feel the mucus and congestion kicking in and even my husband noticed a big, big change in my sleep that night (he had to wake me up to tell me to change positions cause I was snoring so much) Needless to say I gave up the dairy again but was still congested and stuffy now I’ve got a runny nose and coughing up chest congestion too. I hope this is just my body cleaning up and it’ll be over soon

• My 2nd week of being raw a few months ago, I got really really sick (I have never felt that sick ever in my life). The doctor thought I had a highly contagious virus and directed me NOT to come in to work or even go to the Dr’s office for fear of spreading the virus. My boyfriend (who lives with me) never even got it one bit, so I’m pretty sure it was detox and not the flu. The worst part is that I got sick the morning after having the best rawsagna for dinner, and now I have an aversion to it! My boyfriend keeps asking me to make it again, but I am scared to, since I don’t want to get sick again…. an irrational fear, I know. Hopefully I’ll get over it soon! Feel better!!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I was recently reading 12 Steps to Raw Food and I think Victoria does a great job at explaining all of this.

She says that the first place our bodies store mucus is in our lungs, because from there it’s easy to evacuate. We start storing this mucus from the time we are babies and start to eat cooked foods. When parents see that their child has a runny nose they’re taught to give the baby nose drops. However, this only halts the body’s attempt at eliminating the toxins and forces it to use its energies on protecting itself from the medicine. Once the body has built up enough available energy the runny nose will restart. This same phenomina is why we often only get sick on vacation, or after completing a large assignment – our bodies now have enough energy to allow us to be sick. This is also why children can run higher fevers than adults. Their bodies have more energy available to cleanse itself.

wann_B-Raw, my brother used to be a huge dairy eater and would constantly be blowing out an insane amount of mucus from his nose, and always be clearing his throat. Since he went vegan he hasn’t had that problem at all.

KurdishMom0607, just stick with it. It will go away, there’s really no other way around it. You will feel loads better after you’ve toughed it out though. Also, I’m not completely raw, and neither is my brother, but we’re both getting detox symtoms. Basically, your body will eliminate mucus whenever given the chance. Good luck!

Renoir, I feel that way about the pumpkin pudding recipe on this site. I love it, but I felt sickish later that day so now I can’t help but associate the two.

• As far as my flu goes, I did have a fever, diarrhea, and vomitting. Any ideas why I’ve had it twice since starting to go raw?