names of foods

living in New Zealand I have a problem with the names of foods in the recipes listed .Can someone tell me what nama shoya is.

Comments

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Nama (unpasteurised) shoyu is a fermented liquid made from bacteria feeding on cooked soybeans, roasted wheat, and salt. It is not a raw food, but some people like to eat it on the basis that it because it contains bacteria it is ‘living’ and that these bacteria are ‘friendly’ and thus balance the bacteria in the gut. I don’t. A high-raw diet by itself corrected a candidiasis problem I had.

• I also do not considere it to be a raw food since it is fermented. Really raw food does not promote the eating of anything that has been fermented as fermented food will ferment in your intestine putrefacting your food there and inhibiting vitamins, minerals, etc absorption. Then, you will get toxic.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

There’s lots of talk about nama shoyu on here, do a search on the forums page you’ll get tons of viewpoints and info from there. Persnally I and other people who don’t like to use it, just substitute salt for nama shoyu in recipe which call for it. And if you don’t want to use salt, try celery daly – dehydrated and ground celery.

• I don’t do nama shoya but I certainly eat Miso. I am not as pure as some on this site and hold some differing views.

I read Gabriel Cousens extensively. Cousens has a Master’s degree program in raw vegan nutrition at his retreat center and has lots of experimental data to back up his claims. His knowledge does not appear to me to be tainted by supporting the interests big Pharma nor big Agribusiness.

Cousens says you can use South River Miso. SR Miso is made in Massachusetts, USA, and is unpasteurized and non-GMO. It is living and has enzymes and beneficial bacteria. There is a large body of research, from Japan and elsewhere, which supports the idea that Miso is VERY healthy and healing. I’ll bet in NZ, you can get some very traditional organic miso from Japan.

The only way I know of to make a decision for yourself is to research the available information and weigh the evidence as it fits into your overall understanding of the world and the realities of your life.

I am always willing to change my views as new information comes into my consciousness. I heard my first Raw Foods lecture just over a year ago and thought it was basically whacky with a few intriguing arguments. Within 2 months, I was diving in. It’s been quite a year!